Help Me Spend My Money...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the parties involved bought Bob's van so I'm making this post and asking that you help me spend my money.  I have a maximum of $3200(I put $3400 in other posts but I didn't have enough tea yet.) to spend at this time.  Here is what I'm looking for:

Must run well and not leak anywhere whether it be roof, windows, exhaust or engine compartment, no leaks.
The less miles on it the better.
Prefer extended length vans(yes I know about turning radius and they are still short compared to the 65 ft I used to drive).
Prefer a 1 ton(unless a 3/4 isn't much different).  Definitely moving away from a 1/2 with my fat rear in the seat and plans for a big solar power system(BIG batteries!).
Prefer a high top(but I can get one installed).
Full size only.
Open to cargo or windows but prefer windows because I'm a sucker for natural light, extra points and love from me if it's a wide body camper van of some kind.

If it's a camper van of some kind it DOES NOT have to have the interior in it(except I do need everything from the drivers/passenger seat forward)!  I'm more concerned with how it runs and that the body and frame are sound.  I'm less concerned with having to rip out some stained, mauve carpeting and more concerned with being able to drive safely to the southwest and other parts of the US.

Prefer early 90s to 1997ish(especially to avoid 98-14 Ford 5.4s with COPs).  Yes I know most of those are not OBDII and that's the point; anything electronic PRIOR to 2000+ and/or OBDII is more affordable to repair especially to people like me on fixed incomes.  A good shop will still be able to plug into it.  Bad ECM?  No problem...$250 installed for a rebuild.  Most people only consider purchase price and put very little thought into the cost of maintenance and repair afterwards.  And it will need repairs...  the 2001 POS I have now costs $350 to change spark plugs...cleaning a TBI is less expensive.

Why I'm asking here(in addition to local searches on CL):

The van I have is going to croak at some point soon.  It's running pretty bad and I just can't afford to pour money into it so as soon as I have it's replacement ready it goes up for sale as a mechanics special for my gas money south.  The warmer it gets the worse it runs.  I really can't travel more than a 30 miles radius which significantly reduces my traveling to look at anything.  I'm hoping that one of you has a friend, family member or someone you know that if their vehicle does in fact meet their description of it and they don't want a million dollars for it, that they would be open to me hopping on a bus to come fetch it.  Of course I'll want a million pictures of said vehicle prior to me coming to look at it, as well as a few days to get my pets into temp foster care.  Right now I am located/limited to Snohomish County, WA state.

People LOVE to spend money and this time you get to spend mine!  Only I'm the one taking home the purchase and I'll even take you out to a decent dinner for the effort.

What I'm NOT looking for:

Mini vans, Transits, anything that isn't a full size van of some kind.

NO sliding doors!  I have one and I HATE them!

Random ads from all over the US.  If you read my plea above I specifically state why.  If I have to travel I have to ride the bus and don't want the sale vehicle sold out from under me while en route.  Yes it could still happen but I'm hoping it will be less likely happening from people here.  I don't want to travel more than 48 hours on the bus.

A class C or any other kind of RV.  I need a daily driver.  I will at some point be hauling building materials and other nonsense in it, even farm animals.  I need something durable and a class C is not going to take the punishment I deliver to it.  Anything else will be too big.  I want a 3/4 ton or 1 ton van or camper van.

As much as I would love to have something older I am spoiled on easy starts and not having to adjust a carb for altitude.  I will only consider this old of a vehicle if it has been meticulously maintained and it can be proven.  I'll definitely consider it if the motor and tranny have been rebuilt/replaced and the rear end is in good condition.  Still hate adjusting carbs but a good runner is a good runner!

Thanks for reading!

How far are you willing to travel? This one is in Boise Idaho. I'm really surprised it isn't gone already, as it's the makings of a very nice B class motor home. I called them a short while back to ask a few questions. According to the guy I talked to, it does not leak anything, anywhere, and has low miles.
He said it used to belong to a group of folks that have money, and was their tail gating rig that towed a small trailer full of refreshments and food.
Their phone number is, 208-343-3699
https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6047246973.html

Ballenxj said:
How far are you willing to travel? This one is in Boise Idaho. I'm really surprised it isn't gone already, as it's the makings of a very nice B class motor home. I called them a short while back to ask a few questions. According to the guy I talked to, it does not leak anything, anywhere, and has low miles.
He said it used to belong to a group of folks that have money, and was their tail gating rig that towed a small trailer full of refreshments and food.
Their phone number is, 208-343-3699
https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6047246973.html

Why did you not look into it further?  Just curious.  I'm very interested in it especially what motor is in it.  Are you far from it?  Boise is a day trip by bus so definitely in my travel area.  If it is what they claim it would be a good candidate with as clean as it appears.

Headache said:
Why did you not look into it further?  Just curious.  I'm very interested in it especially what motor is in it.  Are you far from it?  Boise is a day trip by bus so definitely in my travel area.  If it is what they claim it would be a good candidate with as clean as it appears.
I did call them, and the guy I spoke to said it has the small V8, so it could be either a 318 or 360. I think either one would be a good choice. If I were to bet on it, I'd say probably the 360.
I love the way the back is separated from thee cab area too. If I had the cash and was looking for a B style van, I would have jumped on it.

Ballenxj said:
I did call them, and the guy I spoke to said it has the small V8, so it could be either a 318 or 360. I think either one would be a good choice. If I were to bet on it, I'd say probably the 360.
I love the way the back is separated from thee cab area too. If I had the cash and was looking for a B style van, I would have jumped on it.

I wanted to know if you were nearby so I could pay you to look at it.  =P

I called.  It has a 360, a carb and 64k miles on it.  While the sales pitch regarding mileage sounds impressive by todays standards it's a product of the 70s which means at 100k if it makes it there it will be long in the teeth.  It still looks very clean but chrome doesn't impress me as much as that 360 cold starting without choking and puking.

A friend sent me this link but I have no way to get there to look at it before someone else does:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/6053138198.html

Forgot to add that I'm waiting on a reply from the Vegas Chevy but the problem with ads where you guys don't know the people is that other than the tailgate van in Boise no one else will "hold" it for me to come look at it. It's aa stretch of a request I know but I can't spend all my van money chasing empty leads.

I used to run a manual choke cable on my D 100's w/318 +340....prob solved 200k no problemo but 10 mpg !

That Transvan is a biggun!

Headache said:
I wanted to know if you were nearby so I could pay you to look at it.  =P

<----snip---->

A friend sent me this link but I have no way to get there to look at it before someone else does:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/6053138198.html

Forgot to add that I'm waiting on a reply from the Vegas Chevy but the problem with ads where you guys don't know the people is that other than the tailgate van in Boise no one else will "hold" it for me to come look at it.  It's aa stretch of a request I know but I can't spend all my van money chasing empty leads.
I will have to gps it to find out how far away it is. No worries about paying, I wouldn't feel right about that. I'll have to look into that tomorrow to check the feasibility of looking at it. I'm not sure how close or far it is.
PS, your link to the other "B" looks very nice. The biggest thing about it is it's a Ford. I never have good luck with them. That's just a personal thing though as others swear by them? Or was that at them? :p

Ballenxj said:
I will have to gps it to find out how far away it is. No worries about paying, I wouldn't feel right about that. I'll have to look into that tomorrow to check the feasibility of looking at it. I'm not sure how close or far it is.
Well, they deleted the AD for whatever reason, but L found it again. Guess I'm getting good at this by using the right keywords? :p 
https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6054493481.html

Headache said:
I called.  It has a 360, a carb and 64k miles on it.  

Most of the older vans had odometers that only went to 100,000. So it might have 164,000, 264,000 etc.

Ballenxj said:
PS, your link to the other "B" looks very nice. The biggest thing about it is it's a Ford. I never have good luck with them. That's just a personal thing though as others swear by them? Or was that at them? :p

Roger on tomorrow although unless it's in impeccable condition I may have to skip it.  I remembered I'll be living at 8k feet.  A friend brought up that the carb will probably have to be rejetted and in order to keep it running well I'll have to change it every time I went out on my research project, then back again.  Unless I want to have 2 carbs and swap.  I won't have that kind of money and won't be able to do that myself.

So unless it's almost perfect it's back to searching in the 90s.  Haven't gotten anything back on the Vegas Chevy and a Dodge Gary linked me...

DannyB1954 said:
Most of the older vans had odometers that only went to 100,000. So it might have 164,000, 264,000 etc.

The dealer claimed it had a zero in front of that.  This is why I asked for vans people actually knew the people or they knew of.  I need to rely on the source of info to clue me in on reality.  I'm asking a lot and willing to compensate.  I wish I would have been able to do this while the RTR was going on but it is what it is.  I just hope I can accomplish this before this one dies.

Latest posts