Help Me Spend My Money...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now back to the important business.

DannyB I've emailed on that Chevy twice now with no replies and as you've pointed out it's a half ton.  I'm fixing my list to more clearly state I'm not interested in those.

THE LIST

1. No 1/2 tons, 3/4 is okay but I'd prefer a 1 ton.  Besides living in it I'll be hauling building materials while building my shed and house.
2. No sliding doors.  You have no idea how much I hate them and how impractical they are for this kind of living.
3. Prefer a window van.  Cargo vans feel closed in to me. 
4. Prefer extended frame although if a nice standard comes along I am not going to turn up my nose at it.
5. Prefer a high top but will take an extended over that.  I can always have a new lid put on later.
6. No Fords from 99-14 with coil over plugs.  I can't afford $350 to change spark plugs or the $1000 for the tool to do it.
7. No carbuerated(sp) motors.  I'll be living at 8k feet traveling to much lower elevations often.  I can't afford to rejet every time for the best performance especially with ethanol gas.  This will also be especially helpful for cold starting in single digits where I'll be living.
8. No 6 cylinder motors.  I need a workhorse.
9. No rot, crap, yard art or restoration projects.  I'm okay with small surface rust but pitting and holes are deal breakers.  I need driveable NOW, not later.
10. The lower the mileage the better for obvious reasons.  My cut off is 160kish on the odometer but may go higher if it's been well maintained and it can be proven.
11. No funky creative mechanical work.  If you see something weird be honest and tell me it's been monkeyed with.  A car lot tried selling me a van with a compression fitting on a brake line!

I'm not being "picky" and not looking for new and especially after living in my current van for a month and a half I've learned very quickly what needs and wants are.  While I do need a high top because of back issues and needing to stand I currently live near a fiberglass shop so having one put on will be easy.  What I'm trying to do is replace my current van as quickly as possible due to mechanical issues costing twice what the van is worth and the high mileage on it.  I'm in a rather desperate situation currently and looking for "cushion".

Here is what I need and am asking from you:

As I asked for before I either need for you to know this van already or willing to look at it.  I am disabled.  I can't climb all over it but I can take serious contenders to be inspected.  I am willing to pay a finders/inspection fee of some sort and reimburse for time and gas if you find me the right van.  I'm not expecting you to take time out of your schedule for me for free.  I also don't expect you to be a mind reader or fortune teller.  Any deals are mine alone with the owner of said vehicle as you have nothing to do with the condition and/or longevity of said van.  HOWEVER, time is of the essence regarding getting my mitts on one of these as we all know.  If you can't look at it until next week or something I hope you live in an area that moves slowly.

I won't travel unless a van is a serious contender and the owner is willing to hold it for me so I can get there.  This is imperative.  I can't afford to buy a bus ticket only to have the van sold to someone else before I get there.  That's why I'm requesting you know the person or at least they would be willing to hold it.  I'm more willing to pay their asking price if they will.  I'll need lots of pics if it checks out by your standards to make my own decision on it.

Due to unforeseen expenses(half of it gas because my van is running so bad) I'm down to $3000 to spend on a van at this time.  The sooner I replace it the more money I save on gas.

I'm asking a lot I know.  I didn't ask to be disabled or to be in the situation I am in but I am asking some assistance in nailing down one aspect of it(the van) which will open the door for me to take care of the rest on my own.  Thank you.

Alcatraz said:
I would be willing to do the same for anyone seeing anything they like in the greater Phoenix area.

If you don't mind doing this check out my post above.  Being in the land of liquid sunshine means my choices are very limited regarding avoiding rust buckets and I'm trying to escape and move to New Mexico.  I need sunshine!

Headache said:
THE LIST

1. No 1/2 tons, 3/4 is okay but I'd prefer a 1 ton.  Besides living in it I'll be hauling building materials while building my shed and house.
Towing package.  
Get a used trailer, and you do not have to tear the living space up to move materials.

You want a 1990's or newer, (no carburetor), V8 high top extended 3/4 or one ton Window van with barn doors and no rust and low miles for $3,000. Whoever shops for you will also have to talk the seller into not selling to the first person who shows up at their door with cash. Sounds like a script from Mission Impossible.

Have you considered buying from a car lot with $3,000 down and payments that you can afford? You should be able to sell your van for something.

DannyB1954 said:
So I take it you used the guess method. 
Makes me wonder how many genuine posts that you have flagged.

Many of ones flagged are high priced vehicle for around $5k.

I am on the same team here people and not willing to fight...life is too short. Take care.

GotSmart said:
Towing package.  
Get a used trailer, and you do not have to tear the living space up to move materials.

My income does not support the repair and maintenance of multiple tire rolling objects.  I also happen to be very good at making space usable in various ways.  Even with a twin bed in this one I still managed to slip in some materials.

DannyB1954 said:
You want a 1990's or newer, (no carburetor), V8 high top extended 3/4 or one ton Window van with barn doors and no rust and low miles for $3,000.  Whoever shops for you will also have to talk the seller into not selling to the first person who shows up at their door with cash. Sounds like a script from Mission Impossible.

Have you considered buying from a car lot with $3,000 down and payments that you can afford? You should be able to sell your van for something.

No one has to talk the seller into anything and that's not what I was asking/stating.  If it was impossible whoever bought Bob's van wouldn't have been able to do it in the way that they did.  I assumed that Bob was going to post it up for sale first based on his post mentioning it and then it would be first come first served.  I was wrong.  Due to my misunderstanding of his post I lost out on being the first to ask him about it.

No I cannot afford payments.  If I could this post wouldn't exist.  I need a home base and a place for me to be stable.  The property I'm going to buy is the only payment I can afford.

CautionToTheWind said:
Many of ones flagged are high priced vehicle for around $5k.

I am on the same team here people and not willing to fight...life is too short. Take care.

Moderators if you don't mind please remove any further discussion that isn't topical to this thread, such as blanket accusations and any argument after if you happen to be reading here at that time.  I already asked once for the scammer discussion to end but it seems the last word is more important than my request.  If we were really on the same team there would have been no additional responses.  Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also please people, I know that the assistance I'm asking for is very difficult but please understand that I'm in a difficult situation that I'm trying to get out of.  My health is declining and until I can get out of here it is not going to stop.  I MUST leave here and I NEED a reliable and multi-functional van to do it in.  There is no need for posting pessimism or negativity.

If you feel that what I'm asking is in some way "wrong" or that someone's response is wrong then please just move on.  I'm asking for help in locating a decent van that I can actually purchase, not be half way on a bus ride and find out it's been sold.  I'm not begging for money or something impossible.  I didn't post this thread as a joke but I did do it for my health.  Your respect and if possible your assistance will be highly appreciated.  I am suffering and the negativity isn't helping.  Thank you.

OOOHH OHHHH Gary sent me a contender! Now I just need a ride before it disappears! It just HAD to be 2 hours away now didn't it!

Headache said:
OOOHH  OHHHH Gary sent me a contender!  Now I just need a ride before it disappears!  It just HAD to be 2 hours away now didn't it!
Details please?

Sorry for the delay but it will be worth it I promise!

Sooooooooooooo.............

after running around like a chicken with their head cut off scrambling to make reservations and such...

then getting a ride from my wonderful former neighbor to the animal boarding place....

then being dropped off at the bus and train station....

then riding a bus to the other train station for the southbound Cascades train....

then taking a taxi to the motel after the lovely train ride....

then going to the car lot to look over a van the next morning....

then having it inspected by a certified mechanic who then gave me a list of issues of which I found only ONE deal breaker......

then telling the sales lady I would not buy the van unless the blower motor for the defrost/heat and a/c was fixed....

and after the mechanic replaced the bad relay.....

I BOUGHT A VAN!!!  DING DING DING Gary68 is da winnah!!!!!

It's a 1992 E350 extended Club Wagon with almost 146k on it and all the seats were removed already.  The biggest reason I bought the van is that for most of it's life it was a shuttle van to take kids to after school programs.  That meant the maintenance on this van was regulated by the state.  The mechanic was impressed with it's mechanical condition.

That said it is not without issues.  There are some sensors throwing codes, it was sideswiped so the barn doors don't line up proper and rain has been getting in and the window control for the drivers side door doesn't work.  For the last 5 years only 2000 miles have been put on it meaning it's been sitting.  Given that I'm not surprised by the sensors and it's probably them that are bad and not something wrong.  Oh and the EGR valve but what early model electronic Ford motor DIDN'T consume EGR valves....

It's old but has a lot of life left on it, the carpet reeks with the stench of mildew but that was going to come out anyway AND given all the boarding, travel, rides, meals, registration, title and plates I'm into this van for about $2100 and all the repairs are affordable.

Not a bad start!  I'll post up pics and such in my new build thread.  It's raining today in the PNW(when is it NOT?) so I won't be able to take good pics.

Thanks to everyone for jumping in to assist!

Oh I did have one issue.  There is a brake locking up on it but that didn't start until I was almost home but no biggie.  I can afford that. The only thing this van doesn't have that I wanted was a high top but I can have that installed. They even held it for me with a deposit!  I can almost feel the sunshine of New Mexico now....!!!

if the barn doors are wasted you shouldnt have much problem finding a set at a wrecking yard

One is wrinkled up but it looks to be more that the hinges are wasted. There is definitely work to be done on that side but the pics made it look worse than it is. Once I strip out all the interior plastic a lot of it can be pounded out and then Bondo the rest. As far as finding new doors I'm going to look but I'm not holding my breath. When I looked for parts for the 2001 I could barely find any vans let alone 4th generation ones. It's too bad my 01 didn't have barn doors on it because they'd be swapped.

Yep, happy ending for this thread! I'll start the new one soon. Thanks everyone!

Gary I owe you something! PM me your preference!

if we ever meet up a couple johnsonville brats

Sounds like you are happy with it :) Hope the build goes smooth and you find all the parts you need!

Good find, Gary.

Woo hoo!! Another Club Wagon owner!! We're gonna rule the vandwelling world, bwahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Congratulations!!!!!