Hello from NW Georgia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean P.

Reaction score
Hi...I'm Jean and I have been living in an RV for 15 years. 3 in a KOA and 13 on private land. Before that I lived in a tent and a bus without running water or electric...again on private land for 3 years. So I am not new to this lifestyle...just not moving around every 14 days.

I have always wanted to live off-grid and travel but never knew how to do both in comfort. I have been visiting this site for a while and have learned much. You all have also given me courage to start taking the steps towards making this my future. I am in my mid 60's and female without a large budget. However...I still work (PT) and get SS and live a simple life so am able to save $. So maybe I will be able to swing this in the near future.

Of course my grown children think I am crazy.   :rolleyes:

Thank-you Bob for creating this site... your story is an inspiration. Love your videos! 

Plus Thanks to all the members who share their experiences and knowledge!

Hello Jean,
I am right with you on the kids thinking I'm crazy!
Your life experience should serve you well on the road. Welcome to the boards and keep us posted.
Snowbunny

Hello and welcome Jean. I am up here in snowy Michigan. Still doing the S&B thing as I can't hit the road full time yet.

My kids reactions were mostly positive. My daughter down near the GA / FL line told me to hurry up so I can come there more often. My other daughter said I was taking my vow of staying single for the rest of my life way to seriously. But she would love it if I would sell her my house on land contract. My son gave me his standard answer to most things these days... "Sounds Good".

Be sure to check the threads in the Money Matters section if you have not already. I have spent a lot of time in there. There is a lot of good info.

Greetings from central Ohio!

One of my adult children thinks I'm crazy and the other thinks I'm gutsy. Only time will tell which one is right.

my_vantasy said:
Greetings from central Ohio!

One of my adult children thinks I'm crazy and the other thinks I'm gutsy.  Only time will tell which one is right.

Thanks for the welcome! 

Lj Unlimited said:
Hello and welcome Jean. I am up here in snowy Michigan. Still doing the S&B thing as I can't hit the road full time yet.

My kids reactions were mostly positive. My daughter down near the GA / FL line told me to hurry up so I can come there more often. My other daughter said I was taking my vow of staying single for the rest of my life way to seriously. But she would love it if I would sell her my house on land contract. My son gave me his standard answer to most things these days... "Sounds Good".

Be sure to check the threads in the Money Matters section if you have not already. I have spent a lot of time in there. There is a lot of good info.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will head to the the Money forum.

Snowbunny said:
Hello Jean,
I am right with you on the kids thinking I'm crazy!
Your life experience should serve you well on the road. Welcome to the boards and keep us posted.
Snowbunny

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Welcome aboard the posting side of the CRVL forums.

Your past experiences living on wheels put you in a unique position of being new to the forums but able to give advice based on your experience.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Jean P! What type of RV do you currently own? If it's roadworthy you may be able to start traveling sooner than you think. Try camping in a national forest campground to get an idea of what you'll need to be comfortable. Good luck with your decisions! Hope to see you on the road and at the next RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to CRVL,   :) 

....and welcome from southern Ohio. 

Of the two websites below the bottom one may be most helpful
when you begin to travel.

As I read your first post I thought that if you had a digital projector & laptop with photos
of the way that you have been living,  then you could "Lecture" on this life style and earn money
as you travel.  There are a lot of people who have a growing interest in this now. 

Recently I showed a group of photos and gave a brief talk to a group of homeless disabled vet's
about living in a Van.  Presently they have a large military tent and small space allocated to them on an old farm.   They were quite interested in getting an old school bus and living in it as a group so that they could travel to better economic and warmer climates.  The leader, who has an old home, looks out for them wants me to prepare a website for his "outreach" for such men.  This is how I learned about these Guys.

I just used a USB stick drive and my Lap Top to show photos I took from the internet to give a talk to them.
(free)   But I could easily see how a person could make some traveling money giving talks about this alternate
life style and it's benefits.  You may enjoy speaking to groups of younger women.

Hi RVpopeye! I have experience but feel like a newbie compared to those who travel every 14 days. Thanks!!!

Greetings rvrwandering: My camper is a 1971 Park Model Camper.The tires are shot and it has some issues. I have been here for 13 years. I only pay $100.00 per month rent. I own the camper free and clear.

Hi eDJ! I have a blog about my lifestyle...but haven't kept it up. :(

I have a driving phobia. :(

Jean P. said:
Hi...I'm Jean and I have been living in an RV for 15 years. 3 in a KOA and 13 on private land. Before that I lived in a tent and a bus without running water or electric...again on private land for 3 years. So I am not new to this lifestyle...just not moving around every 14 days.

I have always wanted to live off-grid and travel but never knew how to do both in comfort. I have been visiting this site for a while and have learned much. You all have also given me courage to start taking the steps towards making this my future. I am in my mid 60's and female without a large budget. However...I still work (PT) and get SS and live a simple life so am able to save $. So maybe I will be able to swing this in the near future.

Thank-you Bob for creating this site... your story is an inspiration. Love your videos! 

hello jean, i just joined this forum 12/15 & you are right about the web site and all the friendly helpful people.  iv'e decided to just start selling stuff & stashing away every $ i can to buy a van.  my biggest concern was sometimes carrying a 3mo. supply of 2 insulins with me but with  the info iv'e gained here  about solar power and 12 volt fridges i'm not so worried.   this is the first forum iv'e joined, on the first computer iv'e owned, & my first e mail was to bob wells.  i'm so new i feel like i'm welcoming you to someone else's  house, well i'm not shy  so welcome & come on in.   happy trails,   texas j bird

Jean P. said:

hello jean, i just joined this forum 12/15 & you are right about the web site and all the friendly helpful people.  iv'e decided to just start selling stuff & stashing away every $ i can to buy a van.  my biggest concern was sometimes carrying a 3mo. supply of 2 insulins with me but with  the info iv'e gained here  about solar power and 12 volt fridges i'm not so worried.   this is the first forum iv'e joined, on the first computer iv'e owned, & my first e mail was to bob wells.  i'm so new i feel like i'm welcoming you to someone else's  house, well i'm not shy  so welcome & come on in.   happy trails,   texas j bird

Jean
Traveling every 14 days is really not required everywhere.
The LTVA's are $180 for 9-14 to 4-15 ....7 months.
The Slabs have no time limit.
Check Bob's blog for some of his boondocking locations.
You will find lots of locations that you can choose how often to move.
Temperature is the only motivation to move and usually not very far .

BTW
Your $100 a month lot rent is crazy cheap , the best I've seen is in the low $200 range in Texas. But that is , of course in a RV park with hookups.

Hello from the Oregon Coast! I've only been here a couple of weeks and so thrilled I came across this site too. I'm in the learning all I can phase and hope to be on the road in a few months.

Gigi

Hi Jean and welcome!

I am pretty lucky in that my grown kids already know I am crazy and are therefore supportive :)