Hello From NJ

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster1903

Reaction score
Hello all CRVL, 

The thoughts of living mobile have been rolling around my head for 30 years, and I'm a big fan of Bob's YouTube videos. I am 49 and the time has come to just make it happen. I'm not waiting for the $$ (cause it's not coming) the savings I have will have to do. Nor the right vehicle (I have a 2007 Honda Civic). I'm an experienced car camper, canoe camper, and a little backpacking. I have loved every road trip I have ever taken even the rough ones. I'm on a low fixed income and the costs of housing has kept me stuck, I can just cover the bills but nothing left to go anywhere or do anything. 
I have already taking a few trips this past spring and ready get my feet wet with some long runs this fall, I plan on making the RTR in 2020 and hoping to meet many of you there.

Buster

Hi--native Pennsylvanian (Lehigh Valley) here (though I also lived in Florida for 20 years). It's nice to see another Easterner here--most of us seem to be in the Southwest.

Being a backpacker will help you a lot. I have found that the people who tend to adjust the easiest to vehicle dwelling are those of us who are hikers and backpackers--we have already learned to live with almost nothing and to adapt to Mother Nature rather than trying to overpower her. The people who seem to have the hardest time adjusting are those who want to try to duplicate their resource-rich and high-infrastructure lifestyle inside a vehicle. That is very very hard to do.

Happy trails.

:)

Welcome Buster to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Thanks for the welcome Happy trails and highdesertranger,

Happy Trails- A good friend of mine and one of my cousins went to Lehigh University, Beautiful area. I had several road trips out there in the late 80's - early 90's and a few party nights I can't quite remember, LOL. Definitely older and hopefully less reckless now but still looking for adventure. 
Your right about the Backpacking. keeping it light and simple is going to be key. I think my canoe has a higher load capacity them my Honda Civic. I build a TTT (Tiny travel trailer) this March-April. It's basically a bed in a box, 8ft.Long  X 4ft.wide X 4ft.High I'll post some pics sometime. 

highdesertranger- I got the rules, and if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask 

Happy to be part of CRVL

Buster

Hello Buster. Your TTT is really all you need. Basically teardrop size. If you put a board on the back that can be lifted outwards, then you have both awning and place to cook out of the rain. You could put just a small 100W of solar on top, and run lights and computer. Like Lenny and several others, I travel in a regular size cargo van (me being part time), and I think of the van mainly as a metal tent that keeps me dry when it rains. No more soggy tents, and the mattress is more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Otherwise, it's a life more "out" of the van than "in" it. Same for you, so enjoy.

Thanks Qxxx,
This TTT is a flatback (Photos are fighting me for the moment, I will post some soon, promise :blush: ). I view it really as a testbed. I'm not sure what I really want/need in my mobile life. ie. Van, RV, a bigger trailer, or this size may do for me, I will not know till I try it. And this was a cheep way to get me out on the road. Battery system is on the to do list. It will probably be just charged for alternator at first.  I'm with ya on the whole live outside idea. My car caries my stuff around and I sleep in the TTT but I will be living outside  :D

As an experienced camper, a nice addition to what you have would be a good sized 6-man tent, about 54" or so tall. You could put a chair and table in there and wouldn't be cramped at all. Put it up when spending a few days in an area, when the weather is good. Then sleep inside the trailer on your nice comfy mattress. That's what I do with the van.. Easy way to double your floor space.

Nobody knows what they really want until they get out and try it, and see how things go.I rearranged the whole inside of my van after the first few months of travel.

I have a Coleman 4-person tent, I think it's 9X7ft. rectangle footprint. I figured it would make a good changing close / potty tent. I might get a small chair and table setup to fit inside, thanks for that idea I did not think of that. It's "what I got" so I will see how it works. But I like your 6-Man tent idea, even something big enough to stand up fully in. I'll put that on the list of possible upgrades. also plan on bringing along some tarps and a hammock.

LMAO "It's what I got so we will see how it works" could probable sum up my entire rig. Even my TTT ( apart from the HF 4X8 folding trailer base) was built using almost entirely of stuff my friends, family, or I had lying around and free stuff off Craigslist. It's all about keeping it low cost, and saving $$$ for the rig and gear I really want when I figure out what that is.
It is going to be an adventure for sure  :)

4-person tent is perfectly fine. That's actually what mine is, 7'x9' and 54" tall, so you can walk in and out without having to crawl like with a backpacking tent. I have a folding deck chair that I use for everything, in the tent, outside, and also inside the van. I have a small folding wooden table, 14"x20", that I use for everything, cooking, reading, etc. I put a small carpet down inside the tent and tarp underneath to protect the floor. If the weather is bad, I forgo putting the tent up, so no soggy bottoms to deal with.

You can spend days comfortably using the tent for a living room and sleeping in the TTT. Who needs a full size RV, when life is so easy.

I have 2 tents: a small 2-person dome and a large Rightline Gear SUV tent. I use the dome tent on weekend outings and the SUV tent for longer stays. The dome tent acts as a decoy tent for campgrounds that frown on anyone sleeping in their car. I put all the kitchen gear, chair, tables, etc in it so I have more room around the cot in the car. If I go to town, the tent marks my site as occupied.

For longer stays, I use the SUV tent for glamping: foam puzzle mats and an RV patio rug cover the floor, a Bass Pro Shop Deluxe kitchen goes along one wall, milk crates form a wall of cubbies and a chaise lounge, chair and table make a lounging area. I can still sleep in the car or on the chaise lounge. The tent has large windows and a door with no-see-um screens and is very comfy. It stand alone so I can take the car sightseeing and grocery shopping.

Who needs to tow an expensive RV, eh?

I'm just thinking out loud here.... 

I've seen a lot of people using these 10'x10' popup canopies, but I've never liked them all that much. They're not enclosed, they have a rather heavy cumbersome metal frame, 30 pounds or so, they take up a fair amount of room in your vehicle, they're open to bugs, and worst of all, the wind can catch them like an umbrella.

https://www.google.com/search?q=popup+canopy&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Canopy-Super-Lightweight-Popup/dp/B003QZW536

So I'm thinking a tent is more preferable for the exact opposite reasons. With a 4-man tent, 7'x9', you can easily put in 2 folding deck chairs, since it is otherwise empty. If you tend to travel with groups, then a larger 6-man 10'x10' tent will allow more people inside with chairs. Some come with a vestibule you can sit or cook under. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=6-man-tent&tbm=isch&sa=X

Cool ideas  :)

I like the "decoy tent" and "save my spot"  I had not thought of that.  A little bit bigger tent might be the way to go, I agree they are more stable and lighter the a pop-up canopies. 
I do remember a friend of mine having a pop-up canopy-tent, it was a regular canopy with a full tent enclosure that zipped onto the bottom edge of the top. It had large zip-flap screened windows a zipper door and a fully sewn on tarp floor. It was just like a large tent with full standing head room all the way to the corners.     
OK Wait!  ....  there has to be something ....

My friends setup seemed better constructed then this E-Z up set but it's the same Idea. 
Going from the shipping weights this E-Z up set would be close to 50lb. Might be something to think about if you have enough cargo capacity.
But remember my tow vehicle is a 2007 Honda Civic    Soooo... my 4-person 8lb. tent is going to work just fine, LOL  :blush:

One thing you learn via experience is, there is a lot of wind in the desert especially in the winter. The canopy would be non ideal. People end up putting wind screens around the sides. Not worth the trouble, as far as I am concerned.

Some pics of my TTT Flatback.

IMG_5433.JPGIMG_5437.JPGIMG_5439a.jpgIMG_5432.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5437.JPG
    IMG_5437.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5439a.jpg
    IMG_5439a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 8
Nice little trailer, and looks like a good carpentry job. I've seen a lot of teardrop size in campgrounds and people seem very happy with them. Lightweight, easy to pull, comfortable sleeping, and keeps you high and dry in the rain. Fine for people who are happy spending most of their time outside, and don't need all the comforts of S&B.

Buster, I was looking at the huge number of TTTs on the hall of fame page. People sure like the challenge of building curved surfaces.

http://www.tnttt.com/halloffame.php

If I had done it, I'd have chickened out and had a "flat" frontal quarter-surface, but at a more rakish angle than others used. Like M116A3, but more rakish. But then, there'd probably not be a right angle in the box, given my carpentry proficiency, LOL.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581

I like your choice of a straight vertical back, as this gives you a lot more storage space than a true teardrop slope. Summer is here, the road beckons, :).

Qxxx said:
I like your choice of a straight vertical back, as this gives you a lot more storage space than a true teardrop slope. Summer is here, the road beckons, :).

There are a lot of serious craftsmen on tntt doing great work. This was my first build and I had to keep it cheep and simple. A lot of the design was governed by what I had to work with. But you are right the flatback was to maximize space in side. I have learned that I sleep like I'm trying out for "Saturday night fever" and need all the room I can get.  :D