Hello from Alaska :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer

Reaction score
Hi all. :) I’ve been watching Bob’s channel for years but my spouse, Amy, and I are just beginning our walk into nomad life. She lost her job recently due to COVID-19, and in the last week and a half we’ve moved from Florida, where she’s from, to Alaska, where I’m from, for the time being. My mom passed away last year, and a few years before that she had purchased this vintage Shasta trailer to use for camping. We think we are going to buy my sisters out of their shares of it and use it as our home. It needs some work, but hopefully not so much that it’s a bad idea. :) Amy is pretty handy as long as she has directions and we’ve found some good resources on repairing vintage trailers, so that’s good. :)

We just got to Alaska a couple of days ago, so we’re still sort of recovering from the trip, but trying to think through our options for getting her set up with a new job. I’m not able to work a whole lot due to a disability, but I’m working on setting up a copywriting business. With some luck, we’ll get her set up with something that can be done remotely as well so that it can be kept up once we get on the road. (And also help with social distancing, as we’re both immunocompromised.)

We’ll be traveling with two big ol’ poodles, one being my retired service dog, and one is his replacement. They were not much impressed with the drive from Florida to Alaska, but hopefully they’ll have more room in whatever vehicle we purchase to pull the trailer than we had in the cab of the u-haul!

We have a lot of stuff to go through - we moved on less than a week’s notice, and there was no time to sort as we went - and a trailer to fix up, and a car to sell so that we can buy a different vehicle to pull the trailer. And a whole lot to learn. And we’re honestly pretty scared about all of this change, and especially figuring out the money of all of it. That’s a biggie. But I’m grateful to have known already that this community exists and where to find it. Hi everybody. :)

b344f7c8d8af0d0be13d94b726ec2714.jpg

61957010808__E514CA79-28F9-49B7-A658-B61B3B242183.jpg
61957012865__C4B381FC-B364-49BA-8F7B-F376A42AEB62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 61957010808__E514CA79-28F9-49B7-A658-B61B3B242183.jpg
    61957010808__E514CA79-28F9-49B7-A658-B61B3B242183.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 61957012865__C4B381FC-B364-49BA-8F7B-F376A42AEB62.jpg
    61957012865__C4B381FC-B364-49BA-8F7B-F376A42AEB62.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 8
I wish you luck, and speed on re-furbishing the Shasta, it appears to have good bones. You may want to think about where you plan on landing for the Winter, Alaska is no-where to boondock when the days get short, and extremely cold.

Welcome Summer to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Yes, Summer, where will you Winter?

lol...couldnt resist...yeah good luck with this...you already have proven you got 'pluck'....moving across the continent from FL to AK with one week notice...I need almost a week notice to plan lunch!

Let us know how the 'ham can' trailer project goes....here are some ideas:

https://cannedhamtrailers.com/

Lol you get the award for being the first to say it! That’s an achievement - you don’t know how many times “have a great summer, Summer!” was written in all of my yearbooks! [emoji1787]

Yes! We just learned about that site while we were on the drive up here, and have been starting to wade through his videos. What an amazing resource. Probably our main resource as far as getting the trailer in shape again, I’m guessing. Thanks for the link, it gives another vote of confidence. :)

ckelly78z said:
You may want to think about where you plan on landing for the Winter, Alaska is no-where to boondock when the days get short, and extremely cold.
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about the where to winter thing. Normally our plan would be to head south in the winter, but with the Canadian border being closed to nonessential travel, that doesn’t seem an option. That’s why we moved on such short notice - they changed the restrictions slightly and we became anxious that we wouldn’t be able to get home without flying. (One of my dogs we are nervous would not survive flying without major complications at this point in his life, so flying was a no go.) Anyway, I think I’m wandering a little - sorry, just woke up. :) Anyway, the good news is that because this is where I’m from I have some options as far as loved ones who would be likely to consider letting us driveway/backyard surf for the winter, and for the moment we have a place to stay until the house we’re staying in sells. Nothing is very stable/set in stone at the moment, but at least it feels like we’re in a location where we have a good support system, and I’m grateful for that. Not everyone who just moved sticks and bricks gets to say that.

RvDreams said:
Welcome Summer to the CRVL forums! ... We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks! I’m happy to have a reason to be brave enough to finally join, even if the life circumstances around it are a little stressful for the moment. I feel like things are rough right now, but they’ll get better once we get this all figured out, get rid of some bills and figure out what the path forward looks like.

What? Nah, that’s like... a ten minute drive, tops. [emoji6] [emoji1]
I’m in the Mat-Su valley, Palmer-Wasilla area.

Summer said:
I’m in the Mat-Su valley, Palmer-Wasilla area.

Gettin in position for the state fair, eh...

I’ve stayed at the Three Bears campground in Wasilla...

Would be normally, but they’ve canceled it this year... I think I remember reading that it’s the first time since WWII. It will be sorely missed. It’s always a highlight of the year around here. Will be very glad to see it return.

I’ll have to look that campground up; I wonder whether it’s the one my cousin rented a dry cabin. The name sounds familiar.

Welcome to the forum!
Since you don't mind driving, I will recomend AZ for the winter time. Have fun!
-crofter

Latest posts