Has anyone tried one of these Chinese Diesel Parking Heaters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as good build quality as Webasto, Espar, even Planar.

Fitting thermostat, timers, remote SIM control etc a DIY science project.

No gasoline units available?

No coolant / HWS / hydronics unit available?

May not be able to get parts later. So buy your spares at the same time.

Def no installation or later service available.

Great thanks.

Some people burn kero in the diesel ones, if their vehicle isn't diesel I guess

Apparently "even purer" but then often priced way higher if only available in cans from big box retail.

Some places can still have pumps outdoors? Dunno.

For me I would only plumb from my vehicle fuel tank, perhaps add another if space allowed.

High enough outlet so never emptied it completely and stranded.

Here is the best source of info on them I've found. It's a FB group entirely dedicated to the Chinese diesel heaters. Lots of experienced users there and also some info on tweaking them. Most users are in the UK; these are far more common in Europe.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/

P.S. This is a troubleshooting group so you will see all the problems people encounter here - but inquire and you will see most everyone is happy with their heater. The biggest issues are incorrect installation and the occasional missing part.

Jim_Rockford said:
The gas ones are not our gas it's a poor translation for diesel...which is called gas overseas.

Actually, these ARE made for gasoline as well; there are a few on the link that was included. 

When people in Europe refer to gas, they are generally talking about propane.   Our gasoline is called "petrol." But the heaters in question specifically spell out "gasoline."

I have seen the videos of the so-called gas heaters that are listed as gasoline and they do not run on gasoline they work perfect on diesel these heaters are not made for gasoline use

Using one of those to burn gasoline is **NOT SAFE** IMNSHO.

Even the ones truly designed for gasoline are one malfunction away from burning you and your van to the ground.
A 5 gallon or so tank will fit anywhere on a van. They come with a tank that lasts quite a while. (Cover it from the sun though)

Diesel is VERY safe. You need campfire level heat to make it burn without atomizing it.
The heater can malfunction and pour raw diesel out the chimney all over the place...it will not burst into flames.

They started ordering these for the wheelchair vans in Maine 8 months ago-1 year ago maybe. I've been keeping an eye on them. They are larger than the old Espars, but other than the typical "sloppy where it doesn't really count" chinese casting rough edges and "Chinglish" user manuals, they have been equally reliable with the old Espars. A bargain, actually.

Advice: Get one with a simple control.
ON/OFF and a volume control for the heat needed. That is it.
Also, before you shut it, let it spin up to "wide open/full-bore" for a couple of minutes before shutting it down.
Too many cool on/off cycles gum those up like hell...and it can happen at the WORST times if you don't follow that "wide open for 120 seconds at least before shut-down" behavior pattern.

Truly, they are a vandwellers dream. MUCH safer option than that high pressure propane stuff.
Truckers have been using them forever. Try to put the diesel tank outside the van. (Or you WILL smell it.) Behind the door mounted spare maybe. Or bolted to the rear door, with a shade against the UV rays. They can also be used with veggie or corn oil...but the diesel pump is the easiest/cheapest.

The biggest issue with them has been the UV damage the tanks took from mounting them out in the open on a gasoline powered vehicle. If you have diesel power, put the intake 3/4 of the way down on your fuel tank, so it doesn't suck you dry.
Do NOT "T" it into the vehicles fuel lines.
(It will spray fuel out like mad if you do...especially with the newer high pressure tank pumps.)

John61CT said:
Great thanks.

Some people burn kero in the diesel ones, if their vehicle isn't diesel I guess

Guess what? The chinese diesel heaters come with a tank for the diesel fuel!! Easy mount also :) Chinese Diesel Parking HeatersThe  Che Diesel Parking Heaters

JD GUMBEE said:
Advice: Get one with a simple control.
ON/OFF and a volume control for the heat needed. That is it.

I appreciate the info in your post!  However, from my reading it sounds like one needs an LCD controller if one wants the ability to change the air/fuel mix, which is handy for fine-tuning and required for altitude compensation.  The new blue and gold LCD controllers can apparently even adjust for elevation automatically.

Firebuild said:
Here is the best source of info on them I've found.  It's a FB group entirely dedicated to the Chinese diesel heaters. Lots of experienced users there and also some info on tweaking them.  Most users are in the UK; these are far more common in Europe.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/

P.S.  This is a troubleshooting group so you will see all the problems people encounter here - but inquire and you will see most everyone is happy with their heater. The biggest issues are incorrect installation and the occasional missing part.

Good link but useless unless you want to joint the group. I just wanted to peruse over it, NOPE!

Subscribed in case I buy a Diesel van. Not sure I could take a chance on a Chinese heater or not...

AJ452 said:
However, from my reading it sounds like one needs an LCD controller if one wants the ability to change the air/fuel mix, which is handy for fine-tuning and required for altitude compensation.  The new blue and gold LCD controllers can apparently even adjust for elevation automatically.

I found myself up in Colorado and Washington many times and never had an issue.
Perhaps the old Espar had a way to handle this issue automatically, but I never noticed any difference in the heat produced or reliability at higher elevations.
(Of course, to be fair, it could have increased diesel consumption by 10 fold and I never would have noticed. Mine was tapped into the main tanks of fuel and knowing exactly what it used was close to impossible.)
Several of the vans up North ended up using the included tanks as well,(even in the diesel powered units) in case Ford would bitch about the fuel system (which have become three times more complex with the new "clean" diesels) being violated.

From watching this video, appears that these are worth it for the price, less than$200 on Amazon.
This van lifer describes his application and install in a Westy.

I wonder for the DIY fans, if you could run this diesel heater off of waste vegetable oil that has been filtered like many folks do with their diesel cars/trucks. There are also folks who run WMO (waste motor oil) through a centrifuge to eliminate the solids, and debris, and then dump into their fuel tanks at a 50/50 mix of fuel/WMO.

This would be a way of having a free, and never ending source of usable fuel to heat your shop, or RV.

Holy Smoke.Wouldn't that be like having a semi running in your rv?I hate the smell of diesel,burned or unburned.