diesel heater controllers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
So when I got my diesel heater it was missing the remote and from what I'm reading all the extra functions require the remote for access.

I've tried everything on the controller such as long pressing this or that and I get zero options.

I can't even set the timer. Nor do I get the convenience of shutting it off from the bed. Who wants to get up with one eye open to do that??!!

I have read that the remotes are universal.. but the controller I have now looks different than most.

Has anyone had to replace their controller or remote?

I'm wondering that if I purchased a different controller that has correct plugs it would be fine??

Any suggestions..?? It's all installed now and sending it back isn't an option and my requests for the remote have been ignored.

In all of my advice on the cheap chinese bunk heaters I always include: Order two identical units so you will have spare parts for whatever fails, quits, burns out, burns up, or in this case, gets left out of the box. 

This is a good example of why I give this advice.

There are at least a dozen types of controllers. Some look identical but work in a completely different way. Some only work with one type of motherboard, others work with several types. Search YouTube and you'll find instructions for many. I suppose you could buy a matched set of controller, remote, motherboard on eBay.

take the brand name, description, product number/UPC, and serial number and run it on google, amazon, Alibaba, and ebay. If something obvious does not show up, you're probably out of luck

I have gone over all documentation so far and nothing indicating a make/model... I hope it isn't on the underside of the heater itself.

Great advice on getting 2. Probably been better to have just bought an espar and had one really good item instead of 2 halfast ones.

Sigh... such is the life of a pauper.

thanks for the input everyone.. hopefully I can find some numbers.

I don't think I'll ever be able to adjust the ratios for using at higher elevations without settings access..grrr

See if you can find it in a YouTube video. Usually they have links or seller contacts or Q and A sections. Try contacting someone that has tested one and had problems, maybe they have what you need laying around.

The Espar stuff works well, if you can translate all the German manuals!

First see I had the most basic non-remote rotary controller and purchased the latest one with a remote that uses aaa batteries. Most controllers have the same triangular connector and are interchangable, but may need some adaptation in settings. Go to ebay and search "Diesel heater controllers".

I won't use Facebook but understand there is a large forum offering lots of help on these heaters.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

So it appears from that YouTube video that I have the crap controller..lol.

Im going to have to replace the entire ECU.
I really hate ordering items online.

Why not ask here what brands/sources others have used, with opinions attached?

desert_sailing said:
So when I got my diesel heater it was missing the remote and from what I'm reading all the extra functions require the remote for access...

Any suggestions..?? It's all installed now and sending it back isn't an option and my requests for the remote have been ignored.

Post a picture of the controller you have.  Or a link to a picture of the one you have.
On "most" of the Chinese diesel heaters you can swap controllers with no problem.
It doesn't matter what your controller looks like, it matters how the connector is made.

The remotes can be paired to the different controllers.  Or I should say, the controller can be paired to the remote.
Just order a controller and remote combo off of ebay that has the same connector as your original controller and you'll be good to go.

I've picked them up for under $20

I have 3 diesel heaters and probably 4 different types of controllers and remotes.  They pretty much all interchange.

The short answer is YES.  If you purchase a different controller with the same plug is it most likely going to work fine.

Tuning the air fuel ratio with a CO meter.

Using a $30 Chinese CO meter that I saw on David McLucky's YouTube channel I checked the exhaust output of my 5kw heater and measured the CO at over 50 ppm on low at the stock settings. I'm at 4000' elevation in Oregon. This was 1680 rpm at 1.6 hz. I adjusted it to 1.2 hz, same rpm, and read 21 ppm. Upped it to 1.3 hz and read 13 ppm which was the lowest I could achieve. This should greatly reduce carbon build up. I'll set the max mixture when the weather gets colder.

Each installation is different having to do with air flow restrictions, altitude, etc., so I think it pays to invest in a CO meter.

It might be a good idea to post the info of your heater, and where you bought it, so others don't make the same mistake.

I just   :heart:   my diesel heaters !!!

I'm fighting the urge to buy a 4th one.   :p

hugemoth said:
Tuning the air fuel ratio with a CO meter.

Using a $30 Chinese CO meter that I saw on David McLucky's YouTube channel I checked the exhaust output of my 5kw heater and measured the CO at over 50 ppm on low at the stock settings. I'm at 4000' elevation in Oregon. This was 1680 rpm at 1.6 hz. I adjusted it to 1.2 hz, same rpm, and read 21 ppm. Upped it to 1.3 hz and read 13 ppm which was the lowest I could achieve. This should greatly reduce carbon build up. I'll set the max mixture when the weather gets colder.

Each installation is different having to do with air flow restrictions, altitude, etc., so I think it pays to invest in a CO meter.

Excellent post.

I went ahead and purchased a range of fuel pumps so that I can adjust the fuel flow mechanically at the source.
It makes a HUGE difference changing the pump just a little.

I think a lot of people who have trouble with them don't realize how important it is to fully and completely bleed the air and tiny air bubbles out of the fuel lines.
Or they use expandable fuel hose that prevents proper fuel pressure and atomization.   These things are marvelous and really easy to get right if you just know a few basics.

There's a controller out for these that allows you to fine tune every aspect of the heater.   It comes with it's own highly programmable controller.
But it's not cheap.   I haven't needed that much granular control.   I bought that same CO meter he uses on his channel from Walmart.

Yes, a CO meter is the tool for the job when it comes to getting the proper fuel/air ratio which is so important on diesel heaters. Too rich a mix and the heater will carbon up which will require disassembly and cleaning. No one wants to get up on that 15 degree morning and discover the heater won't ignite.

BTW best settings for my 5 kw heater at 4000' are 1.3hz at 1680 rpm and 3.8hz at 4500 rpm. No appreciable carbon build up. Also the controller with "plateau mode" that I've been testing auto adjusts quite well with it's built in barometric altimeter although it could still be thrown off by poor installation restricting the combustion air flow.