Starting A Battery Company

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ldsreliance said:
Interesting idea.  I'll give that some thought.  It would have to be something where those side terminals could be safely covered up if not in use.  I don't know that I have seen a case like that before.

They are common in marine/deepcycle lead acid...and if used in RV or DIY camper van use, they make it a lot easier to hook up to fuse panels, solar controllers, and high power inverters. The inverter with large gauge cables and larger ring terminals, and that will draw a 'crap-load' of amps, can be hooked up to the larger pair of terminals, and the solar controller and fuse panel(s) can be hooked up to the smaller pair. It saves some wiring and buying an external bus bar. Leaves more room to install a marine style battery fuse. Think of the arrangement as an internal 'bus bar'...and in fact, the terminals are bonded together, either externally or internally...

It does simplify connections and makes it super easy to remove an inverter cable, for example, without removing your solar controller or fuse panel cables. For your batteries, which are not technically 'starting' batteries, you would not need a starting battery post...you might want a large and small terminal bolt on each side. However, keep in mind many RVs do use the house batteries to crank the on-board genset for a few seconds. 

Just an idea and it might be a 'feature' that will help differentiate your batteries from the competitors. And the additional manufacturing cost should be minimal.

2-banshee.jpg2close.jpg2super.jpg

Attachments

• 2-banshee.jpg
    2-banshee.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2close.jpg
    2close.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2super.jpg
    2super.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 7
Oh yeah I see those all the time.  I thought he meant on the side of the case like on the vertical side and not on top.

Question on the BMS bluetooth app. Will I be able to see SOC for each cell in the battery pack?

You can see individual voltage for each cell but it doesn't extrapolate that into a % SoC for you.  Theoretically, if all of your cells are pretty well balanced the SoC for all the cells will be the same.