Has anyone ever heard of this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coosterhuis

Reaction score
I am going to purchase a 1983 S-10 Bonanza Bandit I from my aunt and can't find any information on these vehicles? I know Toyota has done a ton of trucks like this, but have never seen them on a Chevy S-10. I was wondering if anyone on here has seen or heard of something like this. I am torn between purchasing this and converting a Chevy G20 conversion van into an RV. Any info any one has is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link on Pinterest if it didn't attach: 
-Clayton

Attachments

• 2010-06-02_13.13.36.jpg
    2010-06-02_13.13.36.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 42
jimindenver said:
I'd love to see more pictures.

I only have these two now, but the inside has stove, sink, heater, couch and sleeping area above the cab

Attachments

• 2010-05-22_10.38.11.jpg
    2010-05-22_10.38.11.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 18
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I only have these two now, but the inside has stove, sink, heater, couch and sleeping area above the cab[/font]

Attachments

• 2010-05-22_10.38.11.jpg
    2010-05-22_10.38.11.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 13
Buying it is a decision only you can make.

Personally, I loved my S~10.  Slightly under powered, but a great running truck. 

That conversion looks real nice.  It would get twice the mileage as a G~20.

I don't know, that's a lot of weight to put on a S-10's drivetrain. Toyota had many axle failures in the beginning before they went to 1 ton axles. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't know,  that's a lot of weight to put on a S-10's drivetrain.  Toyota had many axle failures in the beginning before they went to 1 ton axles. highdesertranger

You don't know what kind of axle this rig has.

I know it has puny axles that that are semi floating. I wouldn't put that much weight on a semi floating axle. highdesertranger

You don't know whether the conversion company upgraded the axle. And you don't know how much weight "that much weight" is.

you can see it's a 5 lug axle, and you can see it's a semi floater. it looks like the factory axle in the pics, does not appear to be upgraded in any way. it also appears to have the original 15 inch tires on it. true I don't know how much it weighs but as far as weight goes a factory S-10 was rated under 1/2 ton truck. highdesertranger

When I worked in a Datsun dealership in the 80's Datsun tried doing this to their 620 trucks too.  I remember we had people call that were broke down out in the middle of nowhere.  Parts are something you have to consider that most people don't give much thought to.  There are thousands of Chevy vans laying around all over the country and you can can find mechanics willing to work on them.

I will try and get some more pictures soon and maybe you guys can pinpoint exactly what axle its sitting on and what else you think. Thanks for the feedback, Im sure a few more pictures would make things a little easier haha

There was a super clean one for sale with a blue in interior years ago. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures.

Wrong time for me to buy , but always keep my eye out for one.

I would stick it on my 350 powered S10 chassis.

If things don't work out....

Can't seem to find the pictures I was looking for.

Here is another Toyota version with good interior shots.  

http://classicvehicleslist.com/amc/91763-1986-toyota-truck-bandit-poptop-rv-camper.html