Got my eye on this sucker too... propane heater like the ones used in tiny houses

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw them in the tiny house videos too&nbsp;and was wondering where they got those. I've got plans to build a cabin from a pair of shipping containers. Although I'm not sure how much space they heat up so I'll probably need at least a pair for it.<br /><br />

Yes there cheaper heaters &nbsp;but the dickinson doesn't use oxygen from the inside of the RV it uses oxygen from the outside. A window doesn't need to be open so you can have more comfort without the draft! This is the heater that I will be using when I can afford it.

not only do I like it for it's safety, but I like being able to see the flame..... fire and water are two things I can sit and watch all day...or night!

I notice the Dickenson has an electric (12 v) blower. &nbsp;I would wonder how much electric that uses. &nbsp;If it uses the same as a built in RV furnace, what is the difference from the built in RV furnace? &nbsp;An RV furnace also has the flame "outside" the RV and isolated [on edit: and uses outside air]. &nbsp;Obviously the Dickinson is well made being focused on marine use. &nbsp;The Nu-Way needs venting indicating that the burn is not as clean as a Buddy heater, which needs an opening to assure oxygen for combustion, not venting (or so the manual says someplace). &nbsp;Also the Nu-Way is 12k btu. &nbsp;That's a lot for a small RV. &nbsp;For the target of a small cabin, the Nu-Way seems to work and for the target of boats, the Dickenson seems to work. &nbsp;I am still with the Buddy (it's on low right now near Las Cruces.)

&nbsp;One thing that i dislike about the Dickinson heater, and catalytic heaters in general, is that it lacks a thermostatic control and relies on just 2 flame settings. Thing to do would be to visit a wrecker and pull the valve body from an RV propane furnace, then attach it to the Dickinson. I've done similar things with other furnaces over the years. in fact, my current unit is an old style convection furnace (so-called 'gravity fed') which I've replaced the old style 'bulb' valve body with an electric (12v) one from a newer furnace and added a thermostatically controlled fan to push air through and thus increase its' efficiency. ..Willy.