How can I sleep in minivan in -20C ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in -20C right now, it's been close to that for the past week, and is expected for another week or so.

But I have an RV furnace, so it's just like home here....

Again, they're not for everyone, to each his own!

highdesertranger said:
if it was me,  I would make sure I could stay warm and comfy without any type of heater.  that way if anything were to happen to your heat source.  you could survive.  after you have that taken care of then think of a heater.  in a small vehicle, an electric is the safest but you must be plugged into the grid.  after that I would go with a small propane heater like a little buddy.  I believe you just don't have the room for a permanently mounted heater.  highdesertranger

I have a Buddy heater. We use it when we go ice fishing in our hut. The hut is not air tight so we can use it safely but the instructions state that the Buddy is not to be used indoors while the Dickinson unit can be safely used indoors. The Buddy depletes the oxygen in the room. The Dickinson has n[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]o interior oxygen depletion. The Buddy is excellent outdoors while the Dickinson P9000 & P12000 and excellent indoor units. I do agree the electric units are the safest. There are so many to chose from customers that buy Dickinson or Buddy units usually don't have 110 volt outlets available.[/font]

almurray said:
I have a Buddy heater. We use it when we go ice fishing in our hut. The hut is not air tight so we can use it safely but the instructions state that the Buddy is not to be used indoors while the Dickinson unit can be safely used indoors. The Buddy depletes the oxygen in the room.

We must be talking about different heaters. The Mr. Heater Portable Buddy is rated as safe indoors, it says it right on the box and in the manual. You do have to give them a certain amount for ventilation but compared to how much heat they create its a drop in the bucket. 

I personally know hundreds of people who safely use them in vans and RVs.  

You don't consider the price of the Dickinson a Con?
Bob

of course the price of a Dickenson is a con but in a years time will you worry if your van build cost you 5,100 dollars or 5,800 dollars, maybe installing 500 watts of solar is a con why would anyone need that much power some would think, why would anyone have a microwave others would say, I also have a Dickenson and this is my second one the other was on a boat, the first one I bought new and it was a major investment that came back at the time of sale, the second I paid 1/2 price used and I think this investment will pay for itself in fact it already has after 4 years in my mind. What life expentancy does a Mr Buddy have I wonder, I am sure the Dickensons will out live me. Does the Mr Buddy have a built in fan? or do you have to buy another fan? if you want air movement all things that might lower the price in the long run. dickensons take up no floor space the sides and bottom barely get warm so you can come close to them with clothing or a build. I doubt they are any bigger then a Mr Buddy and being permanent and vented the safety factor is increased even if the Mr buddy seems to be safe based on the number of people that own them. Then there is the esthetic value which is personal but not many beat the Dickenson in this category. So yes the price is up there but I think that is the only con except maybe being thermostatically controlled.

Both of the heaters mentioned seem to be overkill in a minivan.  Here is a comparison.

Newport P9000 Propane Fireplace Heater
Model #: 00-NEW-P9000 
$1,030.64
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_cat/propane-fireplace-heaters/ 
Approximate cubic footage this unit will heat based on an average climate it’s installed in, the altitude being sea level and a well insulated area is 10’ x 10’ x 8’ = 800 cuft or 100 sq. Ft.

Width: 8.5″
Height: 14″
Depth: 5.5″
Weight: 22 lbs

Fuel Consumption:
1 lb – 7 hrs
20lb – 140 hrs gal LOW
1 lb – 5 hrs
20lb – 100 hrs gal HIGH

Heat Output:
Low: 3,200 BTU
High: 4,500 BTU

Newport Propane P12000 Fireplace Heater
Model #: 00-NEW-P12000 
$1,177.57

Approximate cubic footage this unit will heat based on an average climate it’s installed in, the altitude being sea level and a well insulated area is 12’ x 12’ x 8’ = 1100 cuft or 144 sq. Ft.

Width: 10″
Height: 16″
Depth: 7.25″
Weight: 25 lbs

Fuel Consumption:
1 lb – 5.5 hrs
20 lb – 110 hrs gal LOW
1 lb – 3.9hrs
20 lb – 78 hrs gal HIGH

Heat Output:
Low: 4,000 BTU
High: 5,500 BTU

PORTABLE BUDDY HEATER
Model #: MH9BX
$104.99
 http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html
Use Emergency Heat, Tents, Campers, Workshops, Job Sites, Porches, Patios, Decks, Garages, Storage Buildings, Picnics, Tailgate Parties, Construction Trailers, Sporting Events, Barns, Sheds, Hunting Blinds, Shelters, Ice Fishing Shanties

Dimension (In) 13.4" W x 15" H x 7.7" D
Weight (Lbs) 10.60

Run Time (Hrs at Max BTU) 1 lb -3 Hours
Run Time (Hrs at Min BTU) 1 lb -6 Hours

Fuel Consumption/Burn Rate (Gal/Hr)
at 4,000 BTU = 0.044 Gal/Hr, 
at 9,000 BTU = 0.099 Gal/Hr

4,000 or 9,000 BTU per hour
Heats up to 200 sq. Ft.

Electricity Required No
Maximum Elevation (Ft) 7000 Ft

Indoor Safe Yes

LITTLE BUDDY HEATER
Model #: MH4B
$81.99

Use Emergency Heat, Tents, Campers, Workshops, Job Sites, Porches, Patios, Decks, Garages, Storage Buildings, Picnics, Tailgate Parties, Construction Trailers, Sporting Events, Barns, Sheds, Hunting Blinds, Shelters, Ice Fishing Shanties

Length 12.00
Width 9.75
Weight (Lbs) 5.85

Run Time (Hrs at Max BTU) 5.6 Hours

Heats up to 100 sq. ft.
3,800 BTU per hour

Electricity Required No
Maximum Elevation (Ft) 7000 Ft

Indoor Safe Yes

The prices listed are from the manufacturer's web site. 12/27/15
One question I could not find an answer for, since the Dickson is designed to work at sea level, how well does it work at higher altitudes?

Another small heater and link to a minivan camper.

http://minivancamper.tumblr.com/tableofcontents

http://www.coleman.com/product/5036A850#.VoBYw0orLIU

GOLFCAT™ CATALYTIC HEATER WITH CARRY CASE
$89.99

Conveniently fits inside most cup holders
Battery InstaStart® ignition for quick and easy matchless lighting
3,000 BTU output operates up to 7 hours from one 16.4 oz. propane cylinder (not included)
Battery ignition for push button lighting
Wire stand is ideal for use on tables, floors or other flat surfaces

41s0NxeKxXL._SX425_.jpg

The one heater that would work best is a Portable Buddy that was running on pilot light. Turn it on before bed and in about 5 minutes the minivan would be an oven, but then leave it on just pilot light and at reasonable temperatures it would cut the chill enough to be okay. It would be cool in the morning but turn it on for 5 minutes and it would be hot.

It's bigger than you want but it would be very cheap to run and you wouldn't have to worry about clearances.

I have a friend who lives in her supercab pickup by sleeping in the back seat and it works well for her.
Bob

Latest posts