Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold enough this morning. I'm going to have to move into my cargo trailer at some point to use the electric heater this winter. I can move my work table in here, where it will help me as I work on van conversion. What else to say this early in the morning? I'm watching a Forest Service truck pull into the market parking lot across the street. Normal life in Happy Camp.. so glad to be back in the Klamath National Forest after 6 years living on a prairie in North Idaho.

travelaround said:
Cold enough this morning. I'm going to have to move into my cargo trailer at some point to use the electric heater this winter. I can move my work table in here, where it will help me as I work on van conversion. What else to say this early in the morning? I'm watching a Forest Service truck pull into the market parking lot across the street. Normal life in Happy Camp.. so glad to be back in the Klamath National Forest after 6 years living on a prairie in North Idaho.
One of the first things I installed in my trailer renovation was an inlet for plugging in a 110v power cord.  You can put one in the van as well as one into the trailer. You need a drill motor and a hole saw and of course the fitting and a screw driver. Use butyl putty tape under the exterior mounting plate of the fitting to water proof it. It is not a difficult job to do even for a beginner.

travelaround said:
SE... thanks for the idea to use Hotlogic Mini as a personal heater 
Is it a 12V heater? Looks like the trucker lunchbox. I use my laptop to warm my legs while I am sitting and reading, and in the van I sleep in a vest and warm snuggies, and a warm hat (not cold). Highs in the 50's this week, but no freezing temps yet (Oregon). A few minutes ago a blustery spot came through and tons of leaves were cascading off the big trees here. It was like raining leaves!     ~crofter

Sitting on a hill beside the Klamath River... As I sat here the fog dissipated and sunshine started to warm the world. This is such a magical place... perhaps I've fallen under its spell... because now I'm planning to stay all winter instead of traveling to Arizona as any sensible vandweller would do. I've got an order in for an electric space heater ... should make mornings easier. I'm staying in a friend's RV park, paying 425 a month. So much for boondocking. Yes there's plenty of boondocking spots around here but during winter I need showers, as showering outside and under waterfalls just won't work for me.

"Yes there's plenty of boondocking spots around here but during winter I need showers, as showering outside and under waterfalls just won't work for me."

Um, not, not in winter can I envision that, although a shower bag warms up quite well during any sunny days even in winter. Just make sure the shower is short based on external temps! I'd be very,very awake though :)

crofter said:
Is it a 12V heater? Looks like the trucker lunchbox. I use my laptop to warm my legs while I am sitting and reading, and in the van I sleep in a vest and warm snuggies, and a warm hat (not cold). Highs in the 50's this week, but no freezing temps yet (Oregon). A few minutes ago a blustery spot came through and tons of leaves were cascading off the big trees here. It was like raining leaves!     ~crofter
The mini hot logic is similar to the trucker lunchbox but soft sided and mine is paisley :)  Mine runs on 110 off the Apex, as I did not think ahead and get the 12volt but might add it to my gear.

I am back at Bisbee. I think it is my favorite town. Always events here. Went to the Bisbee 1000 last weekend. Today is the BRATS. Nov. 2nd is a Mariachi Festival. Pretty decent food here as well. Ate at the High Desert twice now.

HalfShadows said:
I am back at Bisbee. I think it is my favorite town. Always events here. Went to the Bisbee 1000 last weekend. Today is the BRATS. Nov. 2nd is a Mariachi Festival. Pretty decent food here as well. Ate at the High Desert twice noThe
The mystery writer author J.A. Jance has a series about a woman Sheriff "Joanna Brady" that is set in Bisbee Arizona.  She creates enjoyable stories and characters.  Well known author so available as E-books and audio books at many of the public library systems.

Locked my keys in the workshop space this morning so a chilly walk down to the marina to get my partner out of bed so he open the door with his set of key. He lives on a sailboat. But I did get to go out for coffee and a treat so it was worth locking my keys inside and the not too far of a walk.

Went to get my travel trailer licensed, I bought it in Oregon and have a title from Oregon but had never registered it in WA. state. But they could not figure out the value on a 1971 trailer so they sent me away to get an appraisal from an RV dealer. Of course as it needs a new frame there is no way to take it anywhere for an appraisal and acrually there are no used RV dealers in the city of Seattle. So I had to drive 45 minutes or so north to Everett WA. I did have photos but the used RV dealer did not even want to see them. Just asked what it was worth in as is condition so I gave him a realistic figure and he cut that by another $50 and wrote an appraisal on the company letter head. No charge, no hassle would not even let me give him coffee money.

On the way back I stopped in at a Habitat for Humanity store to see if I could find some a sheet of laminate to put on my new countertops. Got lucky and found a piece of white which is what I wanted for $5.00! Very pleased to get that item check off my to-do list without having to drive through downtown Seattle traffic.

While I was out and about people were buying things from my Etsy store. So all together not a bad day despite locking myself out and having to drive a lot of extra miles just to get a piece of paper with a valuation so I can get new plates on my trailer.

Spent time today with my son. He will help install a shore power inlet for my van next weekend or as soon as I get the hardware. Went to his friend's home... a deputy who has been on leave for months due to an injury. Saw patrol car in his yard and asked about it. He said it is his... he doesn't share with other deputies even when he can't work. I learn something new every day. He has my son's old pickup stored there... it needs an engine and we talked about fixing that since a woman in Medford ran into his newer truck and broke the rear axle.

travelaround said:
Spent time today with my son. He will help install a shore power inlet for my van next weekend or as soon as I get the hardware. Went to his friend's home... a deputy who has been on leave for months due to an injury. Saw patrol car in his yard and asked about it. He said it is his... he doesn't share with other deputies even when he can't work. I learn something new every day. He has my son's old pickup stored there... it needs an engine and we talked about fixing that since a woman in Medford ran into his newer truck and broke the rear axle.
In some towns they like their officers to take the patrol cars home when off duty. It does a variety of things. If the officer gets a call to get to a scene or the station PDQ then they have a siren and can get there much faster. It also is a visible police presence in neighborhoods and on the streets they travel which is a real crime deterrent. Plus another real advantage is some police stations don't have a big, fenced yard to store patrol cars in or the private cars of officers. It is also a perk of employment that adds a car to a family with no extra cost for insurance, maintenance or purchase price either.

I'll be visiting Bisbee in the near future, so thanks for the tips on things to do, HalfShadows.

It's much warmer here today and rain is called for all day off and on, the day I have to pack the van for my next adventure :(

Maki - in this town we're 70+ miles from the main sheriff's department. Since our only resident deputy is injured, that's probably the only car they have here unless they send someone else in to patrol. Sometimes the highway patrol fills in for him.

Good morning. Great weather here today and tomorrow. Rain on Tuesday and Wednesday when the front gets here with highs in the upper 50's on Friday with clear skies. Soo wishing I could get outta here.

Everyone have a great day.

Wishing you could get out too, Brian.

Yesterday I was approached by a man who said he'd been watching me ... and tried to sell me some cut soapstone. Third time I saw people trying to sell things here in downtown Happy Camp... a bit later Mr. Highway Patrol parked across the street and I walked over to discuss this with him. Basically, I've got my van unhooked from the trailer and am hoping it will not be burglarized while I'm out driving around town. Could be hard to do since I'm parked right in the middle of town across from the Market and Post Office. I have a padlock on the trailer hitch.. hope that's enough. There was a cargo trailer stolen recently in this town but it was also quickly recovered.

Today I'm going to watch my friends' band practice. I'm happy I finally started installing insulation yesterday and I'm getting my heater in the mail tomorrow.

Sunny day today, freezing nights tho. I am having a rest day working on some pics I took yesterday out in the Columbia River Gorge. Fall leaves were still gorgeous and the day was fine.  -crofter

Would like to bitch, moan and complain about this morning but I will spare you. I'll leave it at I got my license renewed on the third try by going to a different DPS office. It was ez peezy there.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Brian I had my own day getting a license...Washington state plates for my travel trailer. It was partly frustrating but mostly amusing except for paying the fees and sales tax. They just don't know how to handle a 1971 vintage trailer from a company that quit business in 1971 and can't be found in any records in their system. Except that of course before it went to Oregon it was registered in WA state and I know for a fact there are several more of them on the road that have WA state registration. But it all got done with some compromises on their part and on my part too.