Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weldman said:
Good morning...I think it took us a week of straight rain to get those 5 inches you got last night B&C, any wind? “Supposedly” we are getting a break from the rain today after over a weeks worth, going to start mounting solar panels on a aluminum frame I built for them. Six 100 watts per frame of two frames (1200 watts total) then converting over from 12v to 24v. Going to look like a solar farm going down the road, will get another 4 solar panels added to the system later on when I figure out where to put them. Top of my Subaru looks tempting.
Hope you don't drain the sun!

Hello people - I'm having a change of plans - I will stay here another week because I'm not ready to go. The trailer isn't transferred to me yet and I need to pack, and repack more things. I'm going to use the week to try to discard about half of what I've still got. Way too much stuff, and I've already been downsizing for a month now. There's a limit to what will fit in the van, and I don't want a cluttered or heavy trailer. When I get to California it will be to spend a few days in the Mother Lode. It has been so long since I've been there... and I only hope I can find a good pull-through parking space wherever I go.

No wind to speak of, just a constant sprinkle to light rain with some breaks. This is a mild tropical depression.

1200 watts, I can only drool.

TA you are doing so great. Another week to get 'ready' to hit the road won't hurt ya :) Soon tho, real soon :)

Hey, yea, take some of this South sun! No worries, send us some rain in return!!

good morning
do nothing day mostly
our normal visit and shop trip with my 91 yr old mom
other than that got nothing on the agenda

Dean and Buster said:
Hi dwellers cleaned out the garage and was interesting the stuff I keep around and now gone.
what...you got rid of the garage and kept the stuff?....that is a creative solution.
People I know typically get rid of the house along with the garage.

Good morning. Continuous purge it seems.

Emptied the rain gauge this morning, another three inches for a two day total of nine. Raining pretty good out there right now. All this rain will take a couple 25# bags of salt for the pool.

Good morning from BLM Concho Reservoir AZ, few miles SW of St. Johns on Hwy 61.
59 degrees. Got about 15 primitive sites and 7 day limit. 
Not much of a body of water here any more.

Headed into Phoenix area tomorrow for Dr. and storage room visit then back to this area to look at 36 off grid, unrestricted acres to purchase this weekend.

OK, this is getting serious. From 8 AM to 11 AM we got another 7 inches and it is still raining, just not as hard. Schools are closed today and the son came home from work and had to drive through a lot of high water. This is why there are a lot of jacked up pickups here, standing water but the son's pickup is not. At least we are on high ground. The water will have to rise another 8 feet at least to get to us. Drainage is to the lake nearby that flooded badly during Harvey but here remained dry.

Total so far 16 inches in 2 1/2 days.

B and C said:
OK, this is getting serious.  From 8 AM to 11 AM we got another 7 inches and it is still raining, just not as hard.  Schools are closed today and the son came home from work and had to drive through a lot of high water.  This is why there are a lot of jacked up pickups here, standing water but the son's pickup is not.  At least we are on high ground.  The water will have to rise another 8 feet at least to get to us.  Drainage is to the lake nearby that flooded badly during Harvey but here remained dry.

Total so far 16 inches in 2 1/2 days.
Remember Ike, now that was a oh shit moment. It helps clean the air with that much rain, I remember how eerie quiet and clean smelling after each hurricane or tropical storm/depression. 
Anywho... good morning putting solar racks together still... it’s actually sunshine here

Good morning all! Kind of a hum drum day. Going out to my rig and watch a All Creatures Great and Small episode.

I worked for 5 days straight for Ike. Telecommunication tech for the power company. I didn't get to leave ECDC (energy control and data center) at all. I think tropical storm Allison was our worst water event.

B and C said:
I worked for 5 days straight for Ike.  Telecommunication tech for the power company.  I didn't get to leave ECDC (energy control and data center) at all.  I think tropical storm Allison was our worst water event.
I was wondering how you were doing. Just watched the recent WC blurb.  Stay safe, you and yours.

OK, rain has let up. Started Tuesday afternoon and stopped Thursday afternoon (more to come). Eighteen inch total for here. East of us in Winnie I heard 48". The west side of town got spared the worst of it. I am NE of Houston near the lake.

B and C said:
OK, rain has let up.  Started Tuesday afternoon and stopped Thursday afternoon (more to come).  Eighteen inch total for here.  East of us in Winnie I heard 48".  The west side of town got spared the worst of it.  I am NE of Houston near the lake.
Actually here is a list...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wettest_tropical_cyclones_in_the_United_States

Ike didn’t make the list, guess since it had a Cat 5 storm surge is what cause it to put water over rooftops up to interstate 10 in some places.

Catching up after a few days. Morning is a state of mind.

Maki - so sorry you were injured! I am also delayed in my Northwest exodus, but mainly because of the burden of excessive possessions and no way to move them.

Roamer ... it is cold here. Heading south is a good idea. It is the kind of cold where you don't want to get out of bed in the morning if you don't have a heater, and nearly enough to make me want to run to Walmart for a Buddy Heater despite all the things I've written here about not wanting to carry propane.

Dean, you and Maki just have to stop falling. That's so not right.

MaTaLa - I look forward to the day I can get an annual NM pass and spend time at the campgrounds there. Is Phoenix a good place to get a storage space? If I can't get rid of more of this stuff I will consider storage an option. I'm thinking about Reno, really. If I don't get that cargo trailer pretty soon, the stuff will have to go into storage, for now, here in North Idaho.

Brian, sounds like a South Texas monsoon there. 18 inches? Wow. I have a friend in a town north of Houston who I plan to visit this winter, if I should be so lucky as to get that far east. I think she's in some place called Point and Shoot. Great Texas town name. Good to hear you got to work for five days. Hidden benefits to tropical storms.

Weldman - I agree, the rain cleans the world. [I usually say that rain is God's way of cleaning the world, but am trying to keep this secular.]

HalfShadows - I daydream about the day I can say it is hum drum and go watch TV in the comfort of my rig.

Okay - good to hear you're all carrying on. I'm working on the ridiculous pile of possessions still. Today Jolynn who got the HOWA van came by to help. She cleaned  the stove and cupboards in my kitchen. Said she'd be back every day this week to help me get out of the apartment. I feel blessed. She's a very nice woman and I'm glad she got the van which I know she very much needed.

TA that kind of cold isn't good :) the buddy heater is sounding nice if you are saying you are getting that cold.....our mornings finally dropped a lot chillier now...which is nice but not as tough as you are describing. South is easier on the old bones for sure in winter time! It is wonderful for the kind help you are getting!

B and C....wow...wow....hope everyone stayed safe.
We haven't had rain in SO long we are begging for it now but sure don't want what you had come down on you!

good morning all
SOS day here
mornings are chilly now
still temps go up pretty high into the mid 80s but it isn't that hot hot kinda day, that chilly undertone is there, seasons are starting to shift

not doing much. take life easy, I always like that :)

Happy Friday all :)

My first time getting to post here, as I am now a van owner and did my first overnight (in my yard, but eh, it counts, right?)

49 degrees overnight with a balmy 55 in the van - perfect sleeping weather.

Today I continue working in the van, testing solar usage (got close to the edge overnight so good thing I'm near power, hah!)
I work full-time, so on my lunch have to run down and register the van, then immediately after work need to go get new keys. The ones that came with the van do not work to start it for me (apparently I can't jiggle the key correctly). Had to try three dealearships to find key blanks, due to the strike. Definitely going to run out there and get them before that drags on any longer. May camp overnight Saturday night, but all the campgrounds have gone up around here and I'm not ready to boondock yet :)

Good morning. Cut and Shoot, Texas is what you were reaching for TA. Only about 35 miles from here.

The bad news with droughts is they usually end in a flood it seems, at least here. I've been saying we needed rain.

Have a great day everyone.