GIRLS' ROOM: Hobbies?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJean

Reaction score
I know there's a forum for hobbies on the road but it seems more official than I care about right now.  

I'll just post here since it's more of "girl thing" anyway, okay?   Feel free to add your own to the thread.

I am a diverse person and have a wide range of interests and have dabbled into nearly everything in my years (nearly). 

Right now in my downsizing I'm having a real "dilemma" (well not really but you understand)  about what to give away regarding my scrapbooking/crafting materials.   I will keep some to make cards for those I meet, I hope.

But I have this silly ? urge to keep the papers and basic ribbons and such and print out paper dolls and clothes to cut out to make sets of for any families I come across on the RV road living.   I grew up with paper dolls so yes, there is that fond memory of it, having no regular doll till I was nearly too old for one (I'm sure the reason I have this huge teddy bear collection I need to donate!)  They have boys and girls, super heroes and princesses etc....

But they seem perfect for today's child living in an RV with limited space, yes?  And they would be new to them... there are countless patterns on the internet which I have downloaded already, :-/ and yes, I do plan on bringing my all-in-one printer scanner.  (That instant ink address might be tough to work around though aha!)

:-/ Am I off on this?  What do you think?

Two thoughts? You'll need to be somewhat careful in offering items as some get offended, they just do. The other is that we met a older couple and she did those window/mirror stick-ons. She saw my son's stuffed Clifford and made him a stick-on. Since I noticed she had a teddy bear collection, I was crocheting these tiny thread purses, Victorian-type for around the neck. I put a teddy bear button on one and gave it to her. She had a special piece of jewelry she was going to put into it.

Yes, I love paper dolls and just thinned my collection down to special edition. I hope now that some thrift shopper enjoys getting them for a child in their life.

We go through our final cut next week and everything that doesn't fit...............

I'm thinking I will go ahead and give all my crafting to the school connected to the Miami Rescue Mission, as I have with the stationery and other crafting supplies I have already given.   IF I find a need to give, then I can always repurchase, right?  OR I could use the colorful paper to decopage my van interior walls :D

I have decided to donate my teddy bear collection to the first real non-profit that can use them to auction off for profit.  Maybe I'll contact a local (gasp) MSM television station...to see if they want to be a go-between.  The two groups I have offered to have no way to utilize it.

I could give it all to the Mission as well...but I think it would take a good discussion with the Director so she knows the true value and not just set them out on the tables to be rummaged through?   I've tried to find IRL teddy bear magazines but it appears they have all gone online and no classifieds.  Any links to such or contacts to someone interested, PM me.

Do what feels best to you. Or maybe pick through it and keep the best stuff. How much room can it take?

I saw a guy at a rest area who looked like he was camping..................... with a Harley-Davidson inside the van. And someone here thought I was crazy for planning on carrying some home-canned pint jars of meat.

Jean,
I'd say it is best to use the space you have available in your rig for those hobbies YOU will most enjoy while on the road.

It is nice that you'd want to have something unique and thoughtful to give to kids, but I also wonder how many children of that age group you might encounter? If you are mainly in RV parks (and especially during summer) you might regularly see a few such kids. But boondocking?? I just think the opportunities would be very rare.

I know the angst of needing to find the right place for things of value that you don't mind giving away yet hope the value can be fully realized for those who could benefit. I've been going through that with a few collections in my mom's house. Just be aware of how much time and energy you are giving to those efforts vs donating them and trusting that the items will end up with someone who loves them.

Yep I think so.
I've dabbled in most of the arts and crafts arena... and enjoy it all. I will be in campsites mostly the first 6 months or so I think... rather than make everything newish. I have other decisions to make (like what I want where in the van) :D Really I was thinking more of making packets and giving them small shops etc too.

Right now I'm not interested in anything.
I want to continue my language studies but my heart is dragging my brain in that. :(

I'm so far "behind" in my own plans but God has different time table. I was supposed to have my van Sep 28th... and now today is the build of the 2nd order... Pearl Harbor day! In the meantime, things I should not be needing are requiring money. The riding lawn mower, for instance, needs a new solenoid. I'm not up to it physically this time. My car just blew it's radiator hose and when they tried to reclamp it the inlet pipe crumbled and then after getting a new radiator of course you need to flush the system (the car is 16) and then the a/c somehow lost all it's "freon" and the charge for the recharging didn't include freon??? So I spent $550 on a vehicle I had sold last Sept but couldn't deliver because I'm waiting on Ford to build my van like I ordered.

Ok. A bit depressed and trying to keep going. Hopefully it's allowed here. Another flak and I'll crumble too.

back on topic... I am giving a big boxful of material for quilting... when I travelled thru nearly every state I bought 2- 1/4 yard lengths of quilting pattern material. Mom and I were going to make a quilt. ... Someone who can use it has no way to get it from me. I've been trying to limit the number of miles I put on the old car (obviously that doesn't matter...) so there is sits in the way...

along with the teddy bear collection which takes up 30 cf in my dining room.

and all the "stuff" I would like to take on the van in one room... waiting to see what fits nicely and what I no longer want. I am taking more books that I will want to keep because I want to read them one more time before giving them away... but alas... if I could have presence of mind like I'm trying to have (epigenetics) I could have read all those by now in the delay and given them away and they wouldn't be sitting in the room taking up space.

hahahahaha

I gave away the acrylic and oil paints and blank canvasses. No way can I handle the smell in a small area like a van. :)
The chalk drawing stuff and the likes too... It all went to good causes.. the Miami Rescue mission has a school. ;)
All mom's needle work tools and yarns from unmade projects...

So who has hobbies when living in a van?

DrJean, if you were getting everything done right away like you thought you could, you would just make the rest of us feel bad! As it is, I read your post and thought, "Oh... she's like me... imperfect."

Would you like to hear what I want to do on the road? Papier mache. If I can swing it financially, I may have to get one of those little trailers...

This is a good time to mention the "Free Pile", where fabulous things show up every day. This includes anything and everything you think someone else would enjoy. This includes crafting items. It is a great place to congregate and play the "what is it" game. Every morning people will bring stuff for the free pile before the 10 am meeting.

That's awesome! I love arts and crafts and have a very hard time parting with anything crafty. I have a lot of crafting items in my RV now. The plan is to craft on the road and start doing craft shows next year.

Caryn

What happens to the things no one wants, do we take them back?

Perhaps this thread would be a good place for hobbiests to put their "wish lists" of what they would like to buy....what they are saving for RE their crafting needs/wants.

at least for me, right now, downsizing and giving so much craft stuff away to the local mission school, I could hang onto a few things to bring if I make it to RTR.

I had already begun a list IRL of what to try and have room for to have "just to give to someone else". It will all depend upon space as you all know. (In fact --an off topic thought-- I might have to make a run to the northern part of FL just to take family china and crystal and stuff and return home BEFORE I load up to leave the house!)

No one should put "junk" out, but if you think someone could use something, go for it.  At the end, whatever is left, is gathered up by volunteers and dropped at the thrift shop in Q.  It's quite fun.

Nelda: " Every morning people will bring stuff for the free pile before the 10 am meeting."

What meeting is that?

:huh: I've had to give myself several good talking to's regarding craft books, patterns, cookbooks x100+, new sewing materials, vintage buttons, Embellished textiles meant to be added to other material projects,  etc etc etc etc etc.  Then there is the appx 500 dvd's, way too many cd's.  It makes my head hurt!!

I'm not working on anyone's schedule downsizing except my own, thankfully.

I was afraid to look at this thread as I don't need anymore hobbies, now I'm glad I did as I need some info.

In trying to add some interior color to a Aliner TT I recently purchased I've removed the cabinet doors and painted them a soft sage green with distressed edges and added multi colored ceramic knobs from India that were 1/2 price at Hobby Lobby.  All the cabinets  and lower walls except the ones than cushions would be in direct contact with have been stained with a gel stain called Rustic Mahogany, it can even be used on metal and fiberglass.

At Hobby Lobby I wandered into paper craft supplies and found something new to me.  Big packs of printed paper that to my eye cried out paper patchwork wallpaper for sleeping/sitting area.  So is this a doable thing?  If so what type of stickum should I use? I have wallpaper glue and Modge Podge on hand.  The paper pack I picked has many patterns that look like old wallpaper on distressed board walls. 

My next to last home in Texas had the living room walls and ceiling built from recycled railroad shipping crates with some original printing still readable.  The boards were naturaly "distressed" by age and use.  The houses were so old they never had indoor plumbing except a cold water pipe into each kitchen.  The only access to them was a semi unkept rairoad right of way road.

I'm glad I checked out this thread as it's nice to know I'm not the only person struggling with collections and hobbies that need weeding out.

Jewellann

There is something called, I think, sticky tack. It's for posters and such. It's hard to describe, someone help me here. It's like a wad of chewing gum, but not sticky. It IS sticky when you press it to something. I've used it over and over to see if I like something. I even used it to paper my kitchen cupboards.
I carry it in my van all the time to stick things up or to hold things down on the counter.
I love modge podge but once it's done, it's there to stay.
This has nothing to do with paper, but, if you wish to try something new and want it to be removable without any damage, here's an idea I have used for many years. If you have a favorite piece of fabric, use simple laundry starch. So very cheap and works so wonderfully. Dip the material in the starch, squeeze abit and apply. I have done my entire refrigerator and years later, just ripped it off. It leaves no damage and you can change things around with immediate results.

Those are great ideas Nelda. I've used the sticky tack stuff, but haven't tried doing the starch thing.

I'm currently at the end of downsizing my crafting supplies. They'll be sold at garage sales in the future. And I so hope that whoever gets the stuff appreciates and enjoys it as much as I have.

One of the guidelines I use for any stuff I keep is that it needs to be multi-purpose if at all possible. And I've tried to apply that same standard for the hobbies I'm retaining. I'm keeping my hand sewing supplies. Not only can I create art with it, but I can also mend clothes. I've also decided to keep my dutch ovens because I love cooking in them for "entertaining" and, of course, they provide a means to make meals. The one hobby I'm keeping (for now) that isn't multipurpose is my guitar. I've downsized to a smaller backpacker guitar, but it still takes up a significant amount of space. When/if I upsize to a larger vehicle, I may be able to hang it for decoration for its second purpose. Time will tell if I keep it.

I keep reminding myself how much I love to live simply and minimally. Downsizing my crafts will lead me to a happier way of living in the long run.

Suanne ... currently downsizing camping gear

Just as an idea for using 'wasted' space... I know a guy who does handyman work. His van isn't insulated, but he has some wood bolted to the frame to attach things to. He found some cup hooks that he mounts on the walls to hold lighter things. But they're not regular cup hooks, they have a clip across the top of the hook that prevents the object from jumping off the hook. and they come in a larger size than the usual hooks.

Here's one, they're called 'safety cup hooks', and they're 7/8" wide and 1.25" long: http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/StanleyNational/752976_c1?$skuimage$

Suanne, guitar IS multipurpose. Entertainment, mental health, brain health, and probably spiritual connection.
I travel with a guitar, a banjo, two ukuleles, a hand drum, in a minivan. (My bed is really really high.) Also sewing machines, knitting and spinning stuff. I have art supplies and beading stuff and leather work stuff in my storage. I'm trying to work through my stash so that I can just carry the tools and buy materials as I need them. My daughter took up painting so I'll take my art stuff to her house where she can use it year round and I can use it when I visit her.
My living history hobby is the real space hog, and the main reason the Minivan tows a cargo trailer.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I will certainly have my sewing machine and fabric stash and probably some needle felting items. I have been planning a special craft cabinet with a fold down table where there is currently a chair. I'm leaving KY today to get my RV in TX [emoji3]. Can't wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk