Gas stove installation help - Can S.r.l

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMax

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone here happen to know how to connect a CAN s.r.l stove up? The instructions are a bit vague for someone that doesn't know much about these things, nothing's labelled and also the illustration looks pretty different from the real thing. It doesn't look like there's any opening for the gas to go in from and there's no mention of having to cut any openings or remove anything.
Any help will be massively appreciated :)
CAN S.r.l 2.jpg
Can S.r.l 1.jpg
Can S.R.L 3.jpg
Can S.r.l 4.jpg

I have no experience with those but the large copper lines look to be supply lines probably coming from what looks like a T fitting just barely in the first photo which are probably for water? We are only seeing part of the whole system so I wouldn’t recommend hooking any gas appliances up until I talked with a technician to be sure. What appears to be a black rubber cap on the opposite end from the crimped silver manifold appears to be where the picture is pointing to make a gas connection which looks pretty questionable to me especially since the instructions say you have to supply your own connections. Is it a rubber cap and does it come off easily? Time for customer assistance I would think as you will need some specific compression type fittings to connect to a plain open pipe.

Last edited:
Lol!!! Again just a guess but looks like copper lines go to individual burners. We need lots more photos the complete installation manual to advise you. Picture of manual appears to be correct and complete except it shows fittings that “are not supplied” required for the end of the manifold where the black rubber shipping cap is still installed.

Yes it looks like some I’ve seen on installs from the UK, crazy but some of them just slide a hose over the pipe and clamp it. Bet they have a lot of fires and explosions! I would hope everyone does better installs, checks often with soapy water and then has a working propane detector. Driving down the road can cause things to loosen up!

My assumption is that the end under the black cap is just a bare end, and a flare nut and flaring tool are to be used....but thats why I want to see the end under the black cap.

This is copper, but similar idea:

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/how-to-use-a-pipe-flaring-tool.html
And of course now there are cordless battery powered flaring tools, but this old-school tool shows the basics.

Your stove was made for the European market. If you are going to use it in the USA you will need adapter fittings to connect the gas line from the European metric sizes to USA standard sizes. The “Panther RV” company sells that make of sink/stove combo unit. Their website states that they put the correct gas line adapter onto those units when it comes into them. I would suggest talking to service representative at the Panther RV company to see if they can assist you with getting the adapter fitting you need.
Here is the link to their contact information. https://pantherrvproducts.com/contact-us/

From what I see in the instructions, the manifold tube with the crimped end is designed for a technician to cut the crimp off. Then a compression fitting will be installed on that cut end. The fitting will have an opening suitable to connect to the supply pipe source.

I would imagine the same could be done on the opposite end with the black cap as well. (depending on which side is closest to the supply)

The cutting would likely be performed with a small tubing cutter appropriate for working in tight spaces like the one shown in this link.

Small tubing cutter

This site shows the layout & use of a compression fitting. (in this example both ends are using a compression sleeve) Although this is showing copper tubing, it is the same principle for clean steel tubing.

How to use a compression fitting

When using compression sleeves, it is important to be successful on the first attempt as the sleeve will be crimped tight to the tubing. If you fail you will have to cut the tubing again to remove that sleeve.

The site this link leads to shows connecting two pieces of bare tubing together. I don't know what your gas supply tube/pipe looks like so I can only answer in the abstract.

From what I see in the instructions, the manifold tube with the crimped end is designed for a technician to cut the crimp off. Then a compression fitting will be installed on that cut end. The fitting will have an opening suitable to connect to the supply pipe source.

I would imagine the same could be done on the opposite end with the black cap as well. (depending on which side is closest to the supply)

The cutting would likely be performed with a small tubing cutter appropriate for working in tight spaces like the one shown in this link.

Small tubing cutter

This site shows the layout & use of a compression fitting. (in this example both ends are using a compression sleeve) Although this is showing copper tubing, it is the same principle for clean steel tubing.

When using compression sleeves, it is important to be successful on the first attempt as the sleeve will be crimped tight to the tubing. If you fail you will have to cut the tubing again to remove that sleeve.

The site this link leads to shows connecting two pieces of bare tubing together. I don't know what your gas supply tube/pipe looks like so I can only answer in the abstract.
That stove is from Europe and it needs metric fittings. Unfortunately you cannot just walk into a hardware or propane supply house and purchase them. But I do know from some research that the Panther RV company has that fitting on hand. That company imports that line of Sink/stoves and when the shipment arrives at their warehouse they pre install the required adapter end that allows them to be used on the USA propane lines. I have already posted the contact information for Panther RV.

Small tubing cutter

Your link shows copper compression fittings & are stated for water use not gas. I was taught never to use compression fittings for gas & use teflon tape for water & pipe dope for gas.

From the panther link from Maki.................https://pantherrvproducts.com/fl1323/

""North America Compatible
This cooktop was designed for the European market. The propane connections are different in Europe, requiring the unit to be converted for the North American market. We have done this process for you, so you don’t have to worry about it. Simply connect your low pressure propane system to the cooktops 3/8” Male Flared fitting to operate''.

‼️‼️THE PERSON WHO POSTED THE QUESTION LIVES IN THE UK. THEY NEED METRIC SIZE FITTINGS. ‼️‼️‼️They need to find a European Van living forum to post in for this question because we do not know the right suppliers who have the metric fittings they need to connect to a metric based propane setup. Also that type of stove/sink combo unit is commonly used in Europe but less commonly seen in the USA. So a European based Caravan Forum can give them actual relevant advice for that specific unit.

Last edited:
MadMax, I hope we've all made it very clear to you now. It appears that you would be better served to have your stove serviced by a technician there in the UK, who could stand behind his/her work. It shouldn't take that long or bear that much expense either. What I've shown, as you can see, with the examples I posted would give you an "idea" of how this would be approached by a technician using whatever apparatus qualifies as "best practices" there in the UK.