Full time job and full time RV-ing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remie

Reaction score
Anybody has experience with full time work and full time RV -ing in a big city ?

I live in the Seattle area, would love to connect with local RV-ers to learn more about this lifestyle. 

I have until next summer (2019) to figure out something, and can extend the wait until 2020 if I need to. 

Rent is out of control and I'm thinking to get a trailer and rent a spot in an 55+ RV park ...  I heard horror stories about living in an RV park though.

Another option is to get a class B and move around locally ...

Any ideas / advice appreciated.

Remi:

I am a full timer for the last 2 1/2 years and have had my traditional career for 24 years now. I have lived in two major city areas in the RV - DC Metro and now Salt Lake City. It has worked out just fine for me - not sure what "horror stories" you have heard.

If you read my first thread, you'll get the backstory of how I ended up choosing an RV to live in. If I could recommend, whatever you buy - pay it in cash. You'll already be paying ground rent at the RV Park and electricity is usually metered if you are a full timer. Also, once you decide on a park, check if they have age restrictions on rigs that are allowed to be there. Many of them do (10-15 years old) mainly for aethetics - they don't want their place to look like junk yard. Being as this would be your first full timing experience and it seems you have resources and a steady job, I think an RV Park is a great way to get your feet wet and learn about it while still having most of the creature comforts you were used to in a sticks and bricks dwelling (Electric, Sewer, Running water, cable hookup, etc.) There is a lot to learn and the plus is you are still in civilization if something goes wrong rather than on the side of the road.

Down the road you may get wanderlust and decide to travel full time. By then, you will have learned about your RV, and then a whole new set of learning begins (this is the stage I'm getting into now). Things like, how do I get off grid power? How much can I run off that power source? Can I run a fridge/heater/air conditioner? Where do I camp? Get fresh water? Empty my tanks? Etc.

I just recently got a new job that allows me to work from home, so technically I could start being a Nomad BUT a few things that are holding me back just now:
1) I bought the Fifth Wheeler I always wanted, BUT didn't buy a truck to pull it yet. (I wasn't in a rush to go anywhere just yet). That's a sizable investment I would have to make. 
2) I would have to make a 2nd sizable investment in solar and/or generator power and until I can really understand my needs and feel comfortable that I know how to properly run and maintain these systems, I'm not ready for it.

Yes, there are cheaper ways to do both of these, HOWEVER, (and this is probably blasphemy to say on this site) I am willing to spend more and spend once for the peace of mind that something isn't going to go haywire or leave me standed somewhere. Also, being that I have no skills in any mechanical trades to help me, I accept that and I am willing to pay more to have it done by a professional and make it dummy proof for me to operate.

Lastly, this will help you figure out what you really want to do. Most folks on here want to be far, far away from civilization and traditional 9-5 careers that I agree are soul sucking. I'm finding I'm a bit different. I think my sweet spot is bigger towns or small cities that have amenities/activites, and ideally, I would proably only do the snowbird thing, rather than boondock on BLM lands and have to move every two weeks. That's not to say I won't do it, but more likely as a special trip to meet up with others, or go to an RTR, rather than that be my daily mode of living.

Good luck, and send me a message if you have any more questions!

You need to try it out someway. Something that may surprise you is how many RVers own more than one RV. Like you just described a trailer set in place to live in and another small RV to travel around in. If you own a trailer and it's setup you don't need a tow vehicle, if and when you move across town you can hire someone to move it for you. Of course if you own a small trailer 22 ft or under you can have a tow vehicle which is also a daily driver and it can travel efficiently.
Definitely worth doing with many possibilities.

I'd say just go for it and decide for yourself. One of the great things about RVing is that you can move quickly and easily if you don't like where you are at the moment.

I've always enjoyed RV parks myself but I've learned to steer clear of any that double as mobile home parks. Maybe the horror stories you've heard are from people who don't understand the difference between RVs and mobile homes. Mobile home parks can be really grisly and awful, but I've found that RV parks tend to be friendly and welcoming. The worst that's ever happened to me is that some of the neighbors may want to be more friendly than I do. That's not a crime by any means; it just depends on who you are and who your neighbors are.

Anyway, best wishes for your new venture!

Johnny

@WanderWoman9 Thank you for your post ! Awsome info ! All my life I was moving around doing all kind of jobs even though I have a college degree, I was not really motivated to get into a career rat race - I am a hippie at heart. I am 57 now, single and have no family, so I can easily be mobile, and I landed a good job several years ago so I've decided to suck it up, do the 9 - 5 thing and get some retirement together. I am not able to work virtually, so I need to do the whole thing for a few years more. Planning to take the road again when I retire, and maybe buy a piece of land somewhere eventually.

My motivation for taking up the RV life is that rents are out of control, and being by myself I don't really have any high requirements for a living space, I prefer to save the money.

@JohnnyM - I think you're right, I've seen some mobile home parks and I don't want to be there. Will keep in mind the difference between RV and Mobile Home Parks. There are also 55+ RV communities that might work. The ones I've visited charge around $700/mo. for a space, which seems high to me, but it's way better than the rent I'm paying. I'm also thinking they will increase the rent, and in 5-6 years I might end up paying over $1000/mo.

Another idea would be to get a Class B and just wander around in the vicinity. That seems the most appealing, but also the scariest :) Plus I would have to commute to work in an RV.

Awesome community, I appreciate the dialogue.

I have no practical experience but knew of a Registered Nurse in Seattle who rented a room in a home near their hospital for many years. Don’t know how they found, probably a friend or friend of friend. It was a good stable situation. Having something like that might allow you to take public transportation or drive to work. Saving money for your adventures.

As far as a vehicle for your off hours, my vote with both hands is for a van not the Class B. Class B nice but very expensive and most I’ve seen the ground clearance is low like a sedan. A van with a porta potty, camp stove, cooler and some sort of bed on the floor will work well for trips to the ocean, Olympics, to the eastern part of state.

One great camping group near you is Wet Westies. They are the VW camping group of the northwest. You don’t need to get a westy to belong... they are now very expensive and costly to maintain IMO... They allow SOBs (some other bus) but you need to be prepared to listen to and admire VW campers. They have meet ups at campgrounds or burger joints. They camp often at state parks but also Boondock. Do a search, you’ll find them

Let us know what you decide on your journey! Great advice here ... I'm about your age and situation, so anything you learn could probably apply to me. Like WonderWoman, I got a mobile place to stay (trailer for me, 5th wheel for her) but not yet a truck to tow it with! And like you, I don't like the idea of sky-high rents, or the way that when you rent you usually have to lock yourself in with a lease for a while ... even if you come to dread the place.

Some locations have individual RV lots rented by the month check rental listings. Maybe your employer would like a little added security and let you stay on property. I have done both and they worked. I would advise you check on a four season living as a lot of trailers are not and that can cause problems if you can not follow warm weather. Keep us posted!

Will look up Wet Westies, thank you for the reference !

Congrats to you! When I first thought of traveling to every part of the country and leaving the 9-5 stable employments I was also incredibly nervous! After that, as our opportunity to leave moved toward the nerves transformed into overflowing fervor and I was simply so prepared to take off. I am sure you'll cherish it and completely live it up. I wish you the good luck and ideally we'll meet out and about sometime in the future!

Whatever route you choose to take it can be done. I live full time in my van and stealth camp every night. I'm working in Philadelphia right now and I wear a coat and tie to work. I did take a lot of time to build out my van so that I am pretty comfortable in it. Shower at the gym and the van has everything else I need.

If you live in an RV park with all the hookups you would have all the comforts of a regular home but the freedom to go where you want.

I agree with WaderWoman9 that you should try to pay cash if at all possible. I didn't see what kind of RV you were thinking of or how new a unit you want to get. But I would opt for whatever my budget would allow me to pay cash for. Then when paying the RV park fees to hook up there won't seem so much.

Thank you all for the advice. Right now I still have a rent agreement until next year, which gives me about 1 year to put this thing together.

So far, all the decent RV parks I've seen around here charge $700+ for a spot. That's too much in my opinion. Not that I cannot afford it, but the point of all this is to skip rent and save a big chunk every month. If I start at $700, with everything else on top, and I am at $1000, if not immediately, then in a couple years, so I am looking at a small rent again. Not to mention that I have to fork out $10k or so for the trailer / RV. Will keep looking. Jeesuz, those RVs are close together, next neighbor is at 6 inches from you !!

If RV rent is that high, another option I am thinking about is to get a van, mod it and live stealth out of it. I need to learn a lot to do that, what van, how to mod it, etc. I got a bunch of books on mobile solar power, looking at van specs, etc. I would prefer to have it half-done before my rental runs out, so I can test it out - weekend trips, etc., figure out what else I need, and also if I really can do this or not.

Angels are opening a way forward for me. :)

I have been doing this for a while now what I usually do is parked my van at work during the week and just live in the parking lot as long as no one complains and then on the weekend I will park at Walmart on Saturday pilot on Sunday then go back to work on Monday or sometimes I will park at the park under a shade tree to stay cool it can be done I have been working this job for 3 years and I have lived in the parking lot in my van the whole time. Sh don't tell my boss lol.

Most employers like Amazon and Toyota the only two I know of right now have special places for RVs there might be more jobs out there that have RV parking I don't know yet I have to do more research just do your own research you'll be amazed what you can get away with living in an RV or a stealth van.

A lot of employers will alow you to use parking lots after hours just for increased security. I drove a school bus and was allowed to park my RV inside the fenced parking area where there was a restroom break area for drivers that took after school trips. I would make sure they got to their private vehicles from bus parking area at night when coming back from after school trips and made it much easier for the supervisor to find drivers for late night trips. Worked for both of us!

Good info Wanterwoman. My wife and I are about to become empty nesters and still quite young....20 yrs from retirement. We both work from home in the technology field. I, however, am tied to a (3) state territory (Midwest US), but in MOST cases can move beyond that area from time to time. I’ve often wondered what many do for income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My biggest problem with staying long term or monthly in rv parks is you are a renter. Often without the usual state laws that protect you, so you can be tossed out onto the street (well, in your rv on the street) without notice (depends on state) and never without refund.

Second annoyance with rv parks is how close you are to your neighbors and you often don't get to choose who those neighbors are. Then there is the specific site... it might be open due to problems they won't disclose, like the phone lines are dead and they won't fix it (which is a big deal to me because I earn my income online). Or like the last place I set down for a period of time--beetle and water bug (cockroach) infestation. Or the place before that with a million earwigs, which also invaded.

Definitely spend a night here and there through out the year or month you expect to be staying. Get to know the people there, the complaints, the good stuff, etc. Also ask around the nearest town. Amazing how many parks have a rep as being bad news or full of druggies or lots of theft.

Actually we don't know what kind of horror stories you have heard about living in an RV park. If you're really worry about your safety problem, I suggest you'd better buy one (new or used both OK), because by this way it can make everything into control.

There is/was a $600.00 a month RV space in a mobile home park in Lynwood, WA. That is a satellite metropolitan area community that is commutable into Seattle by bus. It is on a major arterial highway. Two different bus systems though so you will have transfers involved. https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/apa/d/rv-space-available-in-nice/6749225250.html
In case the ad is gone here is the contact information. (206) 775-5036 Westburg RV & Mobile Home Park Just remember I have not visited the place or read reviews of it. This is not a recommendation posting.

As to finding something closer, it might be possible. Search on Seattle mobile home parks and read the reviews carefully.

Just remember Seattle is not the Southwest, you will find senior 55+ apartments and condos but it is not an area with a lot of retirement RV villages. You have to go to towns on the outskirts of Seattle to find those. Unfortunately they are further away than an easy commute into the city.