Forgot but here I am

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
I am sorry but I forgot to introduce myself on this site.

I read another poster and she said she was going to start to post and thought she should say HI....well heck I never did that :)

In a nutshell.
Husband and I have always been wanting freedom on the road but we lapsed into the usual debt of a home, my horses and paying for barns and more.  While that life was wonderful, that nagging yearning of out and about with no ties sure reared its head every chance it got. :)

We rv.  From tents, to truck campers while pulling our boat, to bigger rv when my one and only kid came along later in life.  We went monster big on rvs as we love this lifestyle.  NOW we are downsizing.  Smaller rig but great usable space.  We might go a step smaller when we hit the road in 5 yrs.

5 long years.  My kid wants to graduate with her friends.  So that is the way it will be....but when college hits, we will set her up very fine, and we are off.  Sell the home etc and freedom is what we want.

every chance on free time we travel.  Our rv is used a lot :)
can't wait to see what happens down the road and how fast we can strike free from 'stuff' and 'home' and hit the road.  Everything we do now is about our freedom in about 5 yrs.

I am 56 and hubby took early retirement at 52.  We are set financially and God willing, our plans will move forward as we hope.  We so wish we were on the road now but we can easily wait a bit longer :)
Fingers crossed our plans go kinda as planned, nothing is set in stone in this life, most we can do is cross our fingers and pray LOL

Welcome to the CRVL forums RoamerRV428! Glad to finally meet you! :-D So many decisions but you have the luxury of time to downsize and plan. Maybe you can make it to the RTR sometime in the next five years!

I'm sure you've already seen this but ... To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

thanks wandering :)

Yes we have time to 'trim the extra' fat we know we do not require while on the road full time. That will definitely happen!

RTR is on our list for sure! In fact we are east coast and east coast is not where we want to boondock cause it is hard to do just that out here, so the West is calling our names and we will answer.

Haha, welcome RoamerRV428!

You're a natural on the forum and I enjoy the posts.

Peace
Marcus

thank you MaTaLa, I wish I had let people know who I was before posting :) but here I am, so ready to set off on a smaller home that we take on the road. Freedom never sounded so sweet to me now!

Hey there, now it's my turn to welcome you! :D

Exactly what you mention about your child graduating with friends is the trade-off we've ultimately made for the freedom of the road. Before the RV we were renters, so our son only ever knew packing up and moving every year or so when the lease was up. He did attend a school for 2 years in an affluent suburb...and I know he thinks about his friends there, but continuing living there is out of the question for us. (Many reasons including the cost, non-diversity, and it's where I grew up!)

The beautiful thing about the internet is, he still has contact with those friends via Google Hangouts and even YouTube. Bygone are the pen-pal days, losing contact is intentional only.

Who am I, really? But...I know from experience the unexpected rears its head when...least expected. In my humble opinion...don't wait for freedom. I'm not saying tell your daughter you're going on the road and that's final, I mean you could, but she might hate you for it. But...what I am saying is, the biggest pain is begat by projecting plans into a future that is inevitably uncertain. You can't guarantee your health...you can't even guarantee your lives...

Anyway, I think freedom is a state of mind. If you've decided to stay put for your daughter, do the things now that you won't be doing when you're on the road...grow a garden! love your horses! be free right where you are! :)

I sincerely hope none of that sounded rude, it is meant with the utmost love and kindness,
Blessings to you and your family!

Hi Roamer, welcome to the Newbies place even though you've been posting quite a bit already. It was nice to read your short memoir about your traveling life and intentions for the future. I trust that all will go in your favor as you venture out.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you two have a solid plan and are already partially living the dream . In the 5 year wait , that will give you time to figure out exactly what size rig you really need so when you go full time your ready . Good to hear from you and good luck

HI mrsNH
I so understand what you are saying, we have said it to ourselves also many times.  Dreams are great, but if not acted on in some good time frame, tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.  So get it.

but another aspect is my soon to be 91 yr old mom.  Dad passed at 86 and mom is going strong.  No meds, walking fine even still after 2 hip surgeries from falls in the last 3 yrs and lives at home.  Alone a few days a week, my bro Gregg drives down and stays with her a few days (his kids are way older and his wife works many hrs per week so they decided Gregg could give mom that time easily and he is fine doing it) and I go up to moms like 2 times a week and take her grocery shopping and we visit and I check in on her for any troubles that might need fixing.  So now we got mom covered......mom and I are pals to the ultimate :).  Doing this for her is no heartache for me at all even tho my yearning for the road is getting overwhelming almost.  I know life is life and one can only go so long in age on this planet :(.  but at that same time we are here for mom we can let the kid finish her school.  So for us we are thinking after our main big responsibilities that are truly no burden in a way, we can hit the road in about 5 years give or take.

luckily we are still younger but I do see those years flying by faster now HA HA

So we are traveling a ton more when we can.  I easily pull the kid out of school for extended camping trips, no troubles there cause she is straight A and she enjoys seeing new adventures but she likes knowing she is coming  home to a house and her bedroom.  It's OK we will give her that :)

Our time is coming!  I feel it getting closer and closer.  Will be a true crazy adventure when it kicks in!

HI travelaround!!  Seen your great posts on the board also!  Thanks for the welcome!

Smitty, thanks~!  Yea our rig is going to change for sure.  Smaller the better.  Being 2 of us I need a bit of space we can get away from each other for a bit LOL so won't be a van, but bigger class B or into C or a smaller toyhauler trailer is in our sights.  We do have some thinking to do on it but we have rv'd/tent camped for over 30 yrs so won't have too hard of a time deciding how to roll lighter out there on the road.

thanks everyone for the welcome!!!

Definitely understand staying so you're near mom :). Considering the long life of your parents, God willing you still have many more years ahead of you! In the meantime between camping trips you can always live vicariously through the many, many YouTubers out there, and of course through the forums here. Google has a pretty amazing satellite filter and street view...I "drove" around Arizona last night xD

oh yea I am soaking up places to boondock out West and more great ideas, tips from this site. I find the best way to move around more comfortable in unknown areas is to learn from those who are doing just that :)