Ford Taurus, my current travel vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelaround

Reaction score
I've owned my 2005 Ford Taurus only since January 2017 - it was my mother's car before that. I had to fly to Rockport, Texas to get it and drove it back from the Gulf of Mexico to North Idaho. It has low mileage for a car of that age, and has been reliable ever since I got it, except for a recent starter replacement.

Rockport, Texas is the town that was first in line to be devastated by Hurricane Harvey last August. My mother lived there twenty years and gave me the car only three weeks before she had a stroke and passed away (in February) so she didn't have to be there when her little town was destroyed six months later.

I intend to drive this car to the WRTR/RTR this coming January as I won't have the van yet at that time.

When I drove home from Texas I slept on the back seat, mostly at truck stops. The worst part is that after three or four nights of sleeping back there, my hips were in a lot of pain because even with the foam padding I bought, it was hard and uncomfortable. My relatives kept insisting I stay in hotels but I was happy with roughing it to save on expenses. I bought a warm sleeping bag and was never too cold even though I was snowed over twice - once in New Mexico, and once in Southern Idaho.

I'm happy to say I've discovered that the back seat of my Taurus can fold down to give more sleeping room and I'll be able to buy a better foam mattress, and a tent and other supplies for my stay in Arizona.

I'm starting this thread to document my experience in converting the Ford Taurus into something I can live in for the month of January, 2019, and for other trips I plan to take, until I can get a van.

One possible problem for January, is the weather. Here in North Idaho the snow could be problematic. I'm hoping to get away from it and enjoy some beautiful Arizona winter weather.

If your main goal is to be at the RTR just concentrate on good camping gear and not too much on the car. It will only be an overnight drive so rough it out and once you get to the RTR set up camp and enjoy yourself. After a while you are going to notice that most of the time you are outdoors. and just sleeping in your vehicle.
So once you get the van your tent can become the patio and you will be able to set it up blindfolded. As you probably have heard a thousand times, find things that have multiple use's and you save space and money. A nice cabin style tent would allow you move around and give you shade. A great addition to the van once you get it. Happy travels and have a great time at the RTR!
Beeps.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

From where I am now it will be around 1400 to 1500 miles and my most likely caravan friend likes to travel slowly, so it may take 3 or more days. We'll see. I am definitely going to take a tent and all kinds of camping equipment. Mainly, I'm wondering how everything will fit into the car and how much water I should have with me.

I love this part, practice, stuff it in Yank it out try it a different way until it works right with the daily flow. At least you have time to figure out what the best set up is. And look for a rooftop container. Put light bulky items up there it's like an extra trunk. And it adds a little shade to the top of the car. Just get one that locks and has good seals
To keep water out. Because we know Murphy's always watching.[emoji23]

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are in a good spot to set yourself up a nice little car home!
I get ya on the hips hurting from a bad sleeping position and hard surface. I know you will improve on that :)

is your friend you travel with going to stop at truck stops etc and sleep or do hotels? might be a weird journey down for you, just curious.

I don't remember if you have previous camping experience but, if you can before it gets too cold, pack the barest minimum of camping equipment, go to the forest for a few days, and try it out. You don't need a lot so avoid buying things that you think you may need until you actually find that you do need them.

For the RTR - water, food, and other supplies are close by but bring as much food and water as will fit in your car without crowding your living space because the food is more expensive and you may not be able to find your favorites.

RoamerRV428 said:
is your friend you travel with going to stop at truck stops etc and sleep or do hotels?

She's got a van she's doing a conversion on, so we'll be sleeping in vehicles.

Also my daughter might be there already - I kind of expect them to get to Arizona before I do, in a skoolie.

Beeps and eats said:
I love this part, practice, stuff it in Yank it out try it a different way until it works right with the daily flow. At least you have time to figure out what the best set up is. And look for a rooftop container.

Yes, I'll be practicing and will check into getting a rooftop container. Not sure I will though, since I don't intend for the car to be a long-term live-in situation. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a van soon... within six months.

rvwandering said:
I don't remember if you have previous camping experience but, if you can before it gets too cold, pack the barest minimum of camping equipment, go to the forest for a few days, and try it out.

I will definitely do some practice overnight trips prior to leaving for the WRTR/RTR. I do have previous camping experience, but gave away my last tent in 2013. I'm looking for another one now. Not sure whether to buy a 2 room popup tent for about 250, or a one-room expensive canvas tent (Kodiak) for more like 800... which would last longer.

One thing you might consider is putting a trailer hitch on it and adding a carrier. My Mom and Dad used to have a Taurus so I know you can put a hitch on it . You can put a lockable box on it too store stuff . A couple people I have asked about water is with a dog and themselves they use a 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day.

Smitty716 said:
One thing you might consider is putting a trailer hitch on it and adding a carrier.

Those teardrop trailers look awfully inviting . . . but I'm trying to conserve on money so I can buy the van of my dreams. For this trip I'll have to be roughing it a bit. My Taurus can haul 1250 lbs . . . and I saw a teardrop at 1200 lbs... and I have no idea how many dollars. Probably a lot. Oh well, I am thinking the gas mileage will be better without it and already that isn't saying much as this Taurus gets only 18mpg.

teardrops can be very expensive. to me not worth what ya get, you bank up bucks for that van. You get a lot more living out of your van than you would that teardrop :)
just an opinion!

RoamerRV428 said:
teardrops can be very expensive.  to me not worth what ya get, you bank up bucks for that van.

I agree. Teardrop prices are extremely expensive, especially considering you're really just getting a bed on wheels.

a van sure would give a lot more living options I think plus you can truly can't move much in a teardrop, whereas in a van mostly you can do a lot of other living more easily I would think :) Plus a van you can custom easier also. That teardrop isn't something you can nail into the sides and such LOL

The car is just a temporary situation anyhow, as I'm pretty sure a van is coming my way sometime during the next six months. Meanwhile, I need to get my car ready for the drive to Arizona and back. I also need to buy a tent. I finally found one I like a lot... I'll be using that to live in for the daytime hours, then sleeping in my car, while I'm in Arizona in January.

Hi there travelaround :)

We had a Ford Taurus for a number of years that took us on many several-night canoe-camping trips. For my family of 3, we'd bring a 7 gallon Aqua-Tainer ($15 from Wal-Mart, also sold at other locations such as R.E.I.), and found that we could last 4 solid days of canoeing, setting up camp, walking in the sand, swimming, etc. The recommendation for water consumption is "8*8 ounce glasses"...so about a half gallon a day. To be fair, we also usually brought some milk and/or juice, but I'd be surprised if you used up the full 7 gallons on your trip to AZ. Also, it's super cheap to fill up at least here in WI, not sure about the southwest (seriously, some places charge...$1..!), and many grocery stores have water dispensers. (Surprisingly) we never found the water to have a plastic-y taste, even if we accidentally left it baking in the summer sun xD. 

I am perpetually guilty of over-packing for camping. At home you think, "I'm camping for 5 days...that means I need 5 shirts, maybe 7, just -in case-" but the reality, for me anyway, is on the 3rd day..."well, this shirt I've been wearing the whole time still isn't *that* dirty"  :D :cool: . New socks and undergarments can have the effect of showering-without a shower  :angel: , and luckily they are the smallest articles of clothing, so making sure you have enough of those the *just in case* shirts and pants become not  so important.

All the best to you and your caravan partner *hugs*

hello said:
I've owned my 2005 Ford Taurus only since January 2017 - it was my mother's car before that. I had to fly to Rockport, Texas to get it and drove it back from the Gulf of Mexico to North Idaho. It has low mileage for a car of that age, and has been reliable ever since I got it, except for a recent starter replacement.

Rockport, Texas is the town that was first in line to be devastated by Hurricane Harvey last August. My mother lived there twenty years and gave me the car only three weeks before she had a stroke and passed away (in February) so she didn't have to be there when her little town was destroyed six months later.

I intend to drive this car to the WRTR/RTR this coming January as I won't have the van yet at that time.

When I drove home from Texas I slept on the back seat, mostly at truck stops. The worst part is that after three or four nights of sleeping back there, my hips were in a lot of pain because even with the foam padding I bought, it was hard and uncomfortable. My relatives kept insisting I stay in hotels but I was happy with roughing it to save on expenses. I bought a warm sleeping bag and was never too cold even though I was snowed over twice - once in New Mexico, and once in Southern Idaho.

I'm happy to say I've discovered that the back seat of my Taurus can fold down to give more sleeping room and I'll be able to buy a better foam mattress, and a tent and other supplies for my stay in Arizona.

I'm starting this thread to document my experience in converting the Ford Taurus into something I can live in for the month of January, 2019, and for other trips I plan to take, until I can get a van.

One possible problem for January, is the weather. Here in North Idaho the snow could be problematic. I'm hoping to get away from it and enjoy some beautiful Arizona winter weather.