The perfect vehicle doesn't cost much

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Donahue

Reaction score
Inspired last night by a shot of Old Overholt here in Tombstone AZ, I realized that the perfect vehicle is a 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect cargo van. And since I own one, let me tell you why.
First, if it has dents and dings, no matter. It is not a Ferrari, always kept in a garage to protect against the dangers of the outside world. On a TC, dents don't matter... though it has a backing-up sonar that beeps increasingly as you get close to something. It is economical, unlike larger vehicles. You will average 30 mpg from its easily-repaired Ford Focus 4-cylinder engine. It is delightful to drive... light, graceful, with a large windshield. I raced an old Triumph TR-3 many years ago, and the TC is faster... a great suspension and very good brakes. Modern! The controls are simple and perfectly placed. But most important is the vast interior space. in the back, 6’ long, with 7’ of sleeping space if you slide the front seat forward and tilt the seatback. The 2010-2013s are very high inside... more than newer versions. It can comfortably hold one person as a live-in van. Plenty of room for you plus everything you need. I even keep my full-size spare tire inside, since I go offroad a lot and want to make fixing a flat as easy as possible. Offroad: the TC is front-wheel-drive with plenty of ground clearance. You don't need larger wheels or special tires to enjoy most dirt roads. Deep sand and thick mud, no. Or very rocky small-Boulder trails... no. Get a Jeep or an ATV. But it is amazing where the TC can go... out west here, all the BLM and state land, no problem at all. Stealth: the TC cargo van looks like... a little cargo van. No side windows, just a normal stupid little city delivery truck that gets absolutely no attention at all. Unlike RVs, and vans that are so obviously someone's home.
Next, price. so important. No car can be perfect if it costs too much! And Kelley Blue Book says that a white 2012 Transit Connect XL cargo van, the base model with 100,000 miles is worth between $8,697 and $10,564... average $9,631. Which is less than $10K. Affordable, even if you have poor credit and take out a high-interest loan... it won't take you long to pay it off so the actual amount of interest won't kill you... unlike a new van or pickup truck.
Lastly, an international heritage. European van of the year several times, North American van of the year. Designed by a team at Ford Europe with Eric Broadley of Lola as a consultant. Van made by Ford in Turkey with the 2-liter Duratec 4-cyl engine from Ford in Spain. Side windows and a few options added in New Jersey to proclaim in Made in the USA. Quite a story... the perfect vehicle, drive one and see!

Yes, it's perfect (to me). Love the style. And so perfect for stealth sleeping. In places like Del Mar, California, where they write huge tickets for any RVs parked on their streets for more than four hours. But the Ford TC cargo van slips under the radar... it's just sort of there, un-noticed, while the 45’ large $500,009 Class A rigsdraw cops like flies.

Inspired last night by a shot of Old Overholt here in Tombstone AZ, I realized that the perfect vehicle is a 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect cargo van. And since I own one, let me tell you why.
First, if it has dents and dings, no matter. It is not a Ferrari, always kept in a garage to protect against the dangers of the outside world. On a TC, dents don't matter... though it has a backing-up sonar that beeps increasingly as you get close to something. It is economical, unlike larger vehicles. You will average 30 mpg from its easily-repaired Ford Focus 4-cylinder engine. It is delightful to drive... light, graceful, with a large windshield. I raced an old Triumph TR-3 many years ago, and the TC is faster... a great suspension and very good brakes. Modern! The controls are simple and perfectly placed. But most important is the vast interior space. in the back, 6’ long, with 7’ of sleeping space if you slide the front seat forward and tilt the seatback. The 2010-2013s are very high inside... more than newer versions. It can comfortably hold one person as a live-in van. Plenty of room for you plus everything you need. I even keep my full-size spare tire inside, since I go offroad a lot and want to make fixing a flat as easy as possible. Offroad: the TC is front-wheel-drive with plenty of ground clearance. You don't need larger wheels or special tires to enjoy most dirt roads. Deep sand and thick mud, no. Or very rocky small-Boulder trails... no. Get a Jeep or an ATV. But it is amazing where the TC can go... out west here, all the BLM and state land, no problem at all. Stealth: the TC cargo van looks like... a little cargo van. No side windows, just a normal stupid little city delivery truck that gets absolutely no attention at all. Unlike RVs, and vans that are so obviously someone's home.
Next, price. so important. No car can be perfect if it costs too much! And Kelley Blue Book says that a white 2012 Transit Connect XL cargo van, the base model with 100,000 miles is worth between $8,697 and $10,564... average $9,631. Which is less than $10K. Affordable, even if you have poor credit and take out a high-interest loan... it won't take you long to pay it off so the actual amount of interest won't kill you... unlike a new van or pickup truck.
Lastly, an international heritage. European van of the year several times, North American van of the year. Designed by a team at Ford Europe with Eric Broadley of Lola as a consultant. Van made by Ford in Turkey with the 2-liter Duratec 4-cyl engine from Ford in Spain. Side windows and a few options added in New Jersey to proclaim in Made in the USA. Quite a story... the perfect vehicle, drive one and see!
I need and want to live in a van again, this sounds like a very good one. My Honda Odyssey 2003 is pretty small and there's no way you can stand, even if you're 5'6 like I am. $4,000 in the bank is not nearly enough for one! I certainly wish I had not sold my 89 Chevy G20 Chinook! :)

Yes, it's perfect (to me). Love the style. And so perfect for stealth sleeping. In places like Del Mar, California, where they write huge tickets for any RVs parked on their streets for more than four hours. But the Ford TC cargo van slips under the radar... it's just sort of there, un-noticed, while the 45’ large $500,009 Class A rigsdraw cops like flies.
My camper van, Tank, which I mentioned earlier, was big and blue! I lived in it on the streets in Oceanside, California for two and a half years with no problems!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-103605_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-103605_Gmail.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2