Food Foraging?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
Gramma Pat got me to wondering how many of you forage for food, this could include fishing and hunting. If you do, what and were do you hunt and for what? Might as well include any time tested recipes.  :D

John

I dumpster dive now and then, does that count as foraging? I've had quite a few good meals from there, though most of what I get ends up being junk food.

CNickTheoBennett said:
I dumpster dive now and then, does that count as foraging?  I've had quite a few good meals from there, though most of what I get ends up being junk food.

Ummmm.......not what I was thinking but why not? We can go there if you want to.

How is it done?

John

I know the edible forage in my area but I live in the Midwest. It would be interesting to learn about the edible plants out west for when I get there. Great thread idea. :) I won't be dumpster diving, I hope! I don't know how I'd get out once I got in. LOL

Not observing local hunting and fishing regulations can get one in big trouble - including losing one's vehicle.  Be careful out there.

well I do on occasion forage. I do not rely on it for my sole food source. more of a supplement type thing. the most common forage items I get are trout, apples, huckleberries, and Mormon tea. highdesertranger

I enjoy fishing, fresh water, salt water, and ice fishing. I am always careful to obey local regulations, and alsways purchase appropriate licenses.

I also enjoy picking wild berries, blackberries and blueberries being among my favorites.

Other than that I prefer to do most of my foraging in grocery stores....

Konaexpress said:
Ummmm.......not what I was thinking but why not? We can go there if you want to.

How is it done?

John

You just go by a store at night and check their dumpsters for product that has been tossed.  I've found large 24 packs of chips where one was damaged and they tossed the rest.  Also a lot of barely expired or about to expire stuff.  

I typically only take sealed items, but other people swear by their dumpster produce.  

If it's not allowed the worst anyone will do is chase you off.

NickTheoBennett said:
You just go by a store at night and check their dumpsters for product that has been tossed.  I've found large 24 packs of chips where one was damaged and they tossed the rest.  Also a lot of barely expired or about to expire stuff.  

I typically only take sealed items, but other people swear by their dumpster produce.  

Down here you'd be having to wrassle the Cats, Raccoons and Possums for the food.   ;)

NickTheoBennett said:

Wow! Not my cup of tea but thanks. Now I know what to do if I need to.

John

One campground I hosted had lots of wild hucleberries and some salmonberries. The latter are shaped like raspberries but are pink to bright red and much tarter.

I know on the west coast we have wild onion, garlic, sea beans, seaweed, mushrooms, berries and fruit. If you get a fishing license you can go for fish, crabs, muscle and clams. If you have a rout you can travel back and forth on, you could do a food forest of some kind I would think.

John

Konaexpress said:
I know on the west coast we have wild onion, garlic, sea beans, seaweed, mushrooms, berries and fruit. If you get a fishing license you can go for fish, crabs, muscle and clams. If you have a rout you can travel back and forth on, you could do a food forest of some kind I would think.

John

That is actually a great idea John. You could even work with others to keep it maintained. http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...ticles/plant-your-own-secret-survival-garden/

Yea, plant stuff as you drive around and mark it on a map. Most people will have no idea what they are looking at when the walk through it.

And plant sun chokes, also known as Jerusalem artichokes. Tasty little things and they grow like weeds! No matter how much you harvest, they keep on growing it looks like.

John

Konaexpress said:
And plant sun chokes, also known as Jerusalem artichokes. Tasty little things and they grow like weeds! No matter how much you harvest, they keep on growing it looks like.

John

I would suggest caution on the sunchokes. They do produce a lot and grow like wildfire -- but that can be a big problem in a natural area where they are not native or that would have a risk of losing preferred local vegetation. Like kudzu in the South, sunchokes are invasive.

I'll mention a couple of app's for iPhones from the App Store.

Wild Edibles  $5.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-edibles-forage/id431504588?mt=8

Wild Edibles Lite  Free

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-edibles-lite/id431504179?mt=8

There are others for Android phones too.

Wild Edibles Lite

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.winterroot.wildedibles.lite&hl=en

It may be worth visiting your Public Library to find books (either on the shelf or virtual books) by Euell Gibbons, a Texan, who was one of the leading authors of books on foraging for wild edible plants as foods.

OH... I wanted to mention that there is a ton of info online if you search for "wild edibles." I don't have them bookmarked, but there are also a lot of YouTube videos showing what can be foraged in all areas of the country.

And, I have found a couple of wonderful, full-color guide books at thrift stores over the years. To me, it is worth the space and slight weight to have a couple of print books on the subject in my van.

WriterMs said:
I would suggest caution on the sunchokes. They do produce a lot and grow like wildfire -- but that can be a big problem in a natural area where they are not native or that would have a risk of losing preferred local vegetation. Like kudzu in the South, sunchokes are invasive.

Very good point! Didn't think about that. Always wanted to try kudzu too, is it like spinach?

John

WriterMs said:
OH... I wanted to mention that there is a ton of info online if you search for "wild edibles."  I don't have them bookmarked, but there are also a lot of YouTube videos showing what can be foraged in all areas of the country.

And, I have found a couple of wonderful, full-color guide books at thrift stores over the years. To me, it is worth the space and slight weight to have a couple of print books on the subject in my van.

Have you ever had hen-of-the-woods mushrooms? So dang good with pasta and a wine sauce!

John

I read online about a couple that traveled and ate roadkill. They went into detail about how to identify what was good like if they were hit only in the head, how to feel for residual body heat, blood coagulation, etc. They ate lots of raccoons and squirrels. I didn't see any recipes for German Shepherd Pie or Gopher Puffs, but I would give it a go if I were hungry enough.