Fixing a water leak during a downpour

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
So last night, just as the Sun began to set and the rain started to pour, I noticed a massive water leak. Rain water was pouring into the RV from the rear doors, soaking the bed. I thought I just hadn't closed the door well enough. I opened it, exposing the bed to even more downpour and slammed it shut. No change. Again, I opened and slammed. Still no change. Frustrated, I kicked the door open it swung out, hit the max and rebounded back. Still no change. I was starting to freak out. Seeing no other option I went outside in the dwindling light and heavy rain to try slamming it shut from outside. I was soaking wet by the time I walked the ten feet toward the rear doors. I slammed the door multiple times as hard as I could. Nothing was working. I screamed and cursed. Even that didn't work!

At this point the bed sheets were soaked and fearing the water would soon soak through to the mattress I figured there was no option but to attempt to repair the door right then and there in the pouring rain and twilight sun.

I gathered my tools and attempted a quick fix, banging the door frozen door latch with a hammer and screwdriver. That had no effect, I had to removed the latch. At this point I knew I was in for a bigger, longer job so I pushed the mattress off the bed frame, further into the RV to minimize the damage already done. I removed the three bolts holding the door latch on and pushed it out of the way. This allowed the door to close, but of course it wouldn't stay shut without a latch. I was already wet so I figured, ok, I might as well take the door panel off and fix it right.

At this point water had pooled up on the bed frame and was running off the bed frame into my under bed storage area, not so bad most of it was pooling on top of the water tank, but my camping gear was also under there as well as some electronics. I had to protect it. I remembered I had a tarp but I couldn't remember where. I searched under the bed frame's rear access, not there. I frantically searched the front, not under the left side. Oh, there it is, in the front center section. I got it out and laid it down, draping it out the back so water would run down out of the RV and towards my feet. Did I mention I had to walk through mud to get from the rear doors to the side doors?

I took the door panel off. Luckily it's not that difficult on this old RV. Just a few philips-head screws, I don't even have to stand on my head or use an extremely long bit holder to get them out. Once it was off I found it obviously hadn't been removed in a long time. the dust and dirt inside started combining with the rain water to make a muddy mess. The greasy door latch came out easily enough and after some tinkering I was able to "unfreeze" it.

Back in it went and horray! the door closes and latches, no more leaks. At least for now. By this time I was working by flashlight and I could clearly see the problem. The heavy 20" tire bolted to the rear door is clearly too much weight for these door hinges, and kicking it open so hard it rebounded probably didn't help it either. I considered taking the tire off right then and there, but one look at the bolts told me it wouldn't be possible without a four-foot wrench for leverage and possibly a blowtorch.

The rain had stopped by this time so I couldn't be sure I had fixed my leak issue. Out came that tarp and I struggled to get it over the roof to cover the rear doors, just in case. It took me a few tries but I got it. Then I went to work on surveying the damage and drying out. I was lucky, water had stayed away from the electronics and hadn't even run off the water tank onto the floor. My camping gear was a little damp but it's designed to dry quickly so I figured I'm ok there. I soaked up the water remaining on the bed frame and removed the bed sheets and mattress cover. In a few minutes I was even starting to dry out. In about 30 minutes I was ready to relax again. I set the bed up again and laid down. This time my mattress cover was in the wash and my bed was a bare foam pad with a mostly-dry sheet draped over it.

Needless to say I was pretty keyed up. It was close to 10pm; about the time I usually like to be feeling relaxed enough to get ready for bed. That wasn't going to happen without some sleepytime tea and a little Comedy Central on YouTube. I was angry, depressed, even considering that I should give up this RV idea and go back to an easier, if more costly, life. Then I remember something a friend told me when I called him freaking out about a breakdown in rural Missouri. I didn't pick something that was easy. I had decided to do something that was difficult. Then I remembered the community of vandwellers and full-time RVers I've met online and decided that things like this were and are part of the lifestyle I've chosen.

It sucked working in the pouring rain by flashlight as my bedroom was nearly flooded, but it was an experience I'm glad I had. It's something that sets me apart from those who would never consider taking up a challenge like living in an RV. I remembered how even though I was "freaking out" I also remained calm enough to consider my options and quickly make decisions. I remembered that I was prepared for this, that I had the tools I need to make repairs and the tarp and bungie cords to protect my investment. I feel good knowing I was able to raise to an unexpected challenge and be able to relax and sleep that same night.

Oh, BTW Vandwellers, I've started a blog and made this my first post. Any suggestions for increasing readership of my blog? Any suggestions for topics?

The blog address is: http://jamesandskippy.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Do you feel a little primal and fulfilled today? :)

Increase viewers by following others and making honest friends if you can. Post insightful and helpful comments in blogs and youtube videos, facebook and twitter and include your link. You could make helpful videos that link to your blog.

You can offer an email newsletter and feature guest writers or links to your or other blogs from time to time.

Create a Facebook page for your blog and feature highlights from your entries or relevant daily tips

That should keep you busy for a while.

Letting your anger get the best of you, and slamming the door, will only make matters worse.

that's like the guys who throw their tools when they get mad. What's the use of that??? You're likely to break something inadvertently by hitting it with the thrown tool...and you may break the tool...or your mellon!! (when the wrench hits your own head!) :p

So, let's not do that.....OK??

next...so this door hasn't been latching for awhile anyways??

Good lesson here.
Fix things BEFORE they NEED to be fixed...such as: "My brakes have been grinding for awhile, and getting progressively worse. The other day, I had to do a panic stop, the brakes failed, and I crashed into someone!! So now I've got a broken van, I gotta pay for damages to fix this other guys car, and my brakes STILL need to be replaced too!!!"

get the idea??

oh...Murphy's Law was in effect here too.

your roof will only leak when it's raining and your trying to go to bed, you only run out of gas at 3am on a lonely road on Sunday night, flat tires only happen in the middle of nowhere when you don't have a spare on hand...

So, what I'd suggest, is doing a good physical on your van. Walk around it with a notebook, and write down EVERY SINGLE THING that catches you eye that needs to be fixed, or that you'd like to alter or modify on it.
Do ALL the lights on your van work, how are the belts on the engine, when's the last time you changed out your engine fluids, how are the tire treds?? ect.....
then, take this list and break it down into catagories.

First, are the things that would be considered DANGEROUS, and are safety issues. These kinda things need to be addressed before going ANYWHERE! Brakes, steering, and tires are the utmost of important and have precidence over everything! No cutting corners.

Next, are the things, such as this door latch, that aren't safety issues, but things that should be fixed due to lapses in maintenance. Have you ever checked out your U-joints?? Ever re-packed your wheel bearings?? Serviced the tranny ever??
Things like this get easily pushed to the back burner...but when they go bad, then you're stuck!! Make it a habit to stay on top of this stuff. It'll give you things to do that'll make your new home a safer, pleasanter place to live...and you'll feel good knowing this stuff is being taken care of. Take Pride in your ride man!! :D

last, are those little things that you've been wanting to modify to your likeing. Moving a switch from here to over there, in a more convient location, putting in different colored curtains, changing the floorplan.

Unfortunately...newbies tend to work from this last list...FIRST! (and I don't mean you)
but cosmetics don't mean squat!! Safety First!!!

OK...lesson over. Enjoy your day, and you just learned something new about your new home!! It's all good! :)

i had that problem a long time ago and many times after. The latch dog tripped somehow to the closed position and my correction was /is to push the latch button and set the latch dog by hand to the open position.

Young man I am somewhat impressed with your apprentice writing skills. But unlike a prior contributor as a former book editor for Simon and Schuster in New York City, I am not here to criticize but to help.

Your paragraphs are of a good size but your story is about a good two paragraphs long. Please be aware that a great percentage of the general population is on psychotropic drugs and have an attention span of an Afghan hound.

You must always think of your target audience for these people are down on their luck living on the street in cargo vans. As a secular humanist my heart is broken that their addictions have caused them to fall on hard times.

Just one other point there is too many “I’s” in your prose. This makes your writings appear to be a bit self-centered. Try to cut down on the “I’s” especially at the start of a sentence.

I hope this helps and good luck on any of your future endeavors.

Owning my "thank yous".

Concretebox - thanks for posting this. It helps put things in perspective for me. Still in the planning/preparing/getting the money together stage. While reading your post, all I could think about was how I would have responded in a similar situation and wonder if I could deal with it effectively. I'm not a door slammer by nature, but I can certainly understand your frustration. (Following your blog to see what happens next!)

Drifted_Cowboy - After seeing the link to the youtube video in your signature line, I finally clicked on it. Reminds me why I started on this path.

Patrick46 - Freaking amazing advice for anyone, living in a van or not.

I don't really see the value of doing this fix in the pouring rain--more water probably came in while the door was open doing the fix than what you prevented from coming after the fix. I would have:
1. Repositioned the van (in a different direction, under a tree...)
2. Moved the stuff forward so it didn't wet and
3. Positioned the tarp to try to prevent water entry and stuff from getting wet.

Mr.LooRead said:
Young man I am somewhat impressed with your apprentice writing skills. But unlike a prior contributor as a former book editor for Simon and Schuster in New York City, I am not here to criticize but to help.

Your paragraphs are of a good size but your story is about a good two paragraphs long. Please be aware that a great percentage of the general population is on psychotropic drugs and have an attention span of an Afghan hound.

You must always think of your target audience for these people are down on their luck living on the street in cargo vans. As a secular humanist my heart is broken that their addictions have caused them to fall on hard times.

Just one other point there is too many “I’s” in your prose. This makes your writings appear to be a bit self-centered. Try to cut down on the “I’s” especially at the start of a sentence.

Wait. What now?

On blogging:

1) Content is king--have something to say
2) Brevity--edit like crazy
3) Lots of good photos--each one is truly worth 1000 words.
4) Honesty--open up about yourself

Bob

One of the lessons to take away from this is that it sucks trying to fix things one handed while holding a flashlight in the other hand. Invest in a headlight, which will keep light going whichever way you are looking, while leaving both hands free to work.

Regards
John

Mr.LooRead said:

Mr LooRead, I've been trying to write a novel for quite a while now, and lately with all the changes in my life I've had zero time to write or even read.
I have a few raw chapters and I have no idea if it's of any quality or not. If I posted an excerpt here or pm'd you would you give it a critique?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Thank you LooReed for your kind comments on my writing. I've felt I've had a talent for writing prose. I've written before and received similar comments. I haven't been writing regularly for several years. It makes me feel good. I'd like to think it's something I'll keep up from now on. I know myself, part of me worries that that I'll procrastinate and eventually just stop.

Maybe once I'm done with this temp job and back in the wilderness I won't have the distraction of work or a constant internet connection to keep me from writing and taken photos.

Thanks to others for their comments on helping me increase readership of my blog. I'll take them to heart.

Lastly, I have to say I'm a bit taken back by some other comments that are condescending. At first I was angry, but after thinking about it for a while, my anger turned to compassion. I considered that some people have to imagine they are better than me to make themselves feel better about themselves. I have to think they they imagine things that aren't part of my story so that they can change my story to better fit their imagination.

Someone imagined that the door latch must have been malfunctioning for a while and I just ignored it. Someone imagined that they knew where I parked and that my rig was in a place where it could easily be moved.

I guess I could have explained all that in my writing but that's not my style. I was writing to make a good story, something I felt the reader could easily imagine in their own mind. Adding all the details about my location or my experience with tools and maintenance would have distracted from the story I wanted to tell.

That being said. Please continue to criticise and critique. Even the comments that don't pertain to my experience may help others who will read this. It's also true that it's sometimes helpful to hear things I don't want to hear.

Luis my claim of being a book editor is pure fabrication. If your content is in MS word shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Cbox I am putting you on a diet of just one sentence beginning with “I” per every other paragraph.

Mr.LooRead said:
Luis my claim of being a book editor is pure fabrication. If your content is in MS word shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Cbox I am putting you on a diet of just one sentence beginning with “I” per every other paragraph.

Sorry, you had me there for a minute. : )