Smashed my Pixel 7

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a freak accident today with my Pixel 7. It fell out of the car and landed in the door frame sill or threshold. I smashed it... severely. It was $600 new a year ago and I'm still making payments. Just past warranty and no insurance on it.

So, I'm curious if I should try to unbend it. I read that one guy did, but replies to his post said not to mess with it because the battery could blow up or start on fire. Even if it could be straightened the glass is shattered. It has power and I can hear when calls are coming in, but can't answer. The screen is black. That guy used a USB keyboard thingamajig to remove his data and do something else.

Just send it to recycling and chalk it up to experience?

I had a freak accident today with my Pixel 7. It fell out of the car and landed in the door frame sill or threshold. I smashed it... severely. It was $600 new a year ago and I'm still making payments. Just past warranty and no insurance on it.

So, I'm curious if I should try to unbend it. I read that one guy did, but replies to his post said not to mess with it because the battery could blow up or start on fire. Even if it could be straightened the glass is shattered. It has power and I can hear when calls are coming in, but can't answer. The screen is black. That guy used a USB keyboard thingamajig to remove his data and do something else.

I would do a local net search for cell phone repair. If or when you find one compare their price to your alternatives. I once cracked an iPhone screen and was able to find a local guy who repaired it, despite all the roadblocks Apple puts up.

Sorry to hear that. I’d be cautious about trying to use a broken cell phone because of the fire risk. Generally for electronics, I check out factory refurbished devices. I just checked and found some refurbished Pixel 7s going for about $150. If I were to try to get it repaired and the repair cost was going to exceed $150, I’d be looking into getting a refurbished replacement.

I would do a local net search for cell phone repair. If or when you find one compare their price to your alternatives. I once cracked an iPhone screen and was able to find a local guy who repaired it, despite all the roadblocks Apple puts up.
It's beyond cracked. It is smashed and bent. I'll share a pic when I get a new phone. Thanks:)

Sorry to hear that. I’d be cautious about trying to use a broken cell phone because of the fire risk. Generally for electronics, I check out factory refurbished devices. I just checked and found some refurbished Pixel 7s going for about $150. If I were to try to get it repaired and the repair cost was going to exceed $150, I’d be looking into getting a refurbished replacement.
I often buy refurbished stuff. I already ordered a Moto G at Walmart for $59. Maybe down the road I'll pick up a refurbished Pixel. Thanks.

Yes chalk it up to experience. I learned when I bought a tablet and had the pier port fail within a year that the insurance was the best way to go. Of course you will then be without a phone for a while as you have to mail it in to get a repair or replacement. But this time around getting a used, unlocked phone that works on your current providers network is your best low cost replacement option. But it to will not be covered by a replacement warranty. You have decisions to make about the way forward that only you can make.

Get a military grade case as well as a screen protection glass overlay for your next phone !

Last edited:
Yes chalk it up to experience. I learned when I bought a tablet and had the pier port fail within a year that the insurance was the best way to go. Of course you will then be without a phone for a while as you have to mail it in to get a repair or replacement. But this time around getting a used, unlocked phone that works on your current providers network is your best low cost replacement option. But it to will not be covered by a replacement warranty. You have decisions to make about the way forward that only you can make.

Get a military grade case as well as a screen protection glass overlay for your next phone !
Weird thing is, the case is still in perfect condition. Guess it flexed too much and failed to protect the phone.

My daughter didn't purchase insurance. I usually do. She put me on her family account... gave me a line and asked me to pick out a phone. I had no idea Pixel 7's cost that much. Two tech ppl I respect and follow on YT had recommended the Pixel in the past few years. I remember it costing $300-$400.

Daughter just called upset about the Moto G I bought, because A) she has a two year contract with T Mobile and B) I bought a phone locked to Straight Talk. So I told her I'll pay off the Pixel 7 phone and get an unlocked Pixel 7 Refurbished when we get back from our Gulf Coast vacation. Pruett said I can get one for $150.

I'll do a search for "military grade" phone cases. Didn't even know they sold them=/

Thanks Maki!

It really all depends on what the phone hits. Hitting the floor is what most cases are designed to protect from. They are not going to protect very good for a fall where the glass face hits a protruding object such as crashing onto a large sharply pointed rock. Or being forcibly crushed between two surfaces.

Would you please suggest places for me to look? I tried Amazon, Google, Best Buy, New Egg and Walmart. Nothing refurbished for under $269.

Thanks.

Don't pay for insurance on your moto g. It's cheap enough to replace if it gets messed up. I used to do a lot of phone repair at one point.

You can also get a decent case without it being super bulky. For more expensive phones my advice might be different.

Don't pay for insurance on your moto g. It's cheap enough to replace if it gets messed up. I used to do a lot of phone repair at one point.

You can also get a decent case without it being super bulky. For more expensive phones my advice might be different.
Too late, lol. I overreacted... it was $10 for two years. One of my daughters has a Pixel 7 and I asked her how she feels about it after having Galaxy's for many years. Her favorite phone was the Galaxy s10e, so I Googled it. Turns out, it was an amazing phone. Then another of my kids chimed in and agreed about the s10.

I might try that one next. They are cheap, because they came out in 2019. Idk... I have time to think it over. Kinda, lol... might have been a bad move not using my old number. Esp. since I have lots of doctors, lol. ugh.

The phone doesn't look THAT bad now that the pain is easing.

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_224026406.jpg
    IMG_20240305_224026406.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240305_224102740.jpg
    IMG_20240305_224102740.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240305_224221140.jpg
    IMG_20240305_224221140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
You can port your phone number over to another carrier if you switch. I think you have a day or two I would definitely check ASAP.

Also, the S10e was a good phone and still is. I would propose the S21fe. But as large as the S21. But has a lot of great features and updated things like 5g. Very solid phone. Can be found used for $150 give or take. I sold one last year for around that price. I somewhat wish I had kept it.

You can port your phone number over to another carrier if you switch. I think you have a day or two I would definitely check ASAP.

Also, the S10e was a good phone and still is. I would propose the S21fe. But as large as the S21. But has a lot of great features and updated things like 5g. Very solid phone. Can be found used for $150 give or take. I sold one last year for around that price. I somewhat wish I had kept it.
I knew I could keep my number, but I wanted that number on a good phone that was a keeper. I kinda like the Moto G Stylus. Hello Moto:D So far it is much easier to navigate than the Pixel 7. I'll look at the S21fe. Thx.

So you still have that number on an account that's active? I just don't want you to lose access to that number and have it get reassigned to another customer.

If you're unsure, call your carrier and verify.