Ford 2005-2008 5.4 problems.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
I have been helping a mechanic buddy of mine work on a few cars so that he could get his eye surgery done. I have become aware of a series of Ford engines that may have a defect.

In 2005 Ford changed the 5.4 engine. It seems after a number of miles some serious problems can develop. In the case of our project vehicle #7 cylinder threw a rod through the block.  There was no dirt or sludge in the engine, (good maintenance), It looks like the rod first bent, then when it went back down the rod length was too short so the crankshaft counter weight gave the piston a good hit and shattered the rod.

We looked for a used engine to put in. There are plenty of 2004 engines available for $600. The 2005 - 2008 used engines are selling for $2800.00. It seems the demand for them outweighs the supply. The cheapest engine we found had over 100,000 miles on it and they wanted $1,800.00 for it. We are talking wrecking yard engines here, not rebuilt. 

If you Google my thread title, ( Ford 2005-2008 5.4 problems), you will see there are now lawsuits about this series. One article I read says that Ford acknowledged problems in 2008 in a service bulletin. 

Anyway this is just a heads up. If you are in the market to buy a vehicle with a 5.4, I would avoid those years. If you have one check on repairs that may be available under warranty even though the original warranty expired, (one article I read says because of a design flaw Ford may pay for repairs).

I can't recall what it means but the ex's 07 has the slight tick, tick, tick that shows the cam or something is going out. The biggest issue I have had with my 03 is needing to replace most of the coils.

jimindenver said:
I can't recall what it means but the ex's 07 has the slight tick, tick, tick that shows the cam or something is going out.

On the engine I worked on, the wrist pin for #7, (drivers side rear ), cylinder was loose and slid over and scraped the cylinder walls. On these engines there is no retainer, the wrist pin is just a pressed fit. That ticking noise may be a loose piston, (expensive repair).

Optimistic Paranoid said:
We've had threads about these engines and their problems before.  It's not just the 5.4, it's also the 4.6 and the 6.8 V10. 

I have read a number of threads of people asking what vehicles to avoid. I have not read a warning about the Ford engines.

DannyB1954 said:
On the engine I worked on, the wrist pin for #7, (drivers side rear ), cylinder was loose and slid over and scraped the cylinder walls. On these engines there is no retainer, the wrist pin is just a pressed fit. That ticking noise may be a loose piston, (expensive repair).

Well that sucks and it just crossed 100,000 too which is when another problem can start showing up. Luckily the 03 at 90,000 is purring along like a kitten. I envy the 07's higher horse power and better tranny but the 03 has the better rear end and that's what makes the difference when in 4x4 low. Plus the 07 is stiffer in ride and seating, I like my rolling recliner.

It has only been within the last year that I read about the problems that many are having with the 5.4 and other Ford engines. I have read enough that I have decided if I buy another Ford van it will be 1994-96 models. Had my mind on a somewhat newer model Ford but no more. A brother of mine has a neighbor with a 1999 Ford PU with 5.4 that has had at least two plugs blow out and of course expensive repairs. Has close to 100,000 on the engine.
Ironic that I bought a 1997, 1999, and 2000 Ford PU's when I was buying new ones. Never had a problem with any of the three. I put less than 50,000 on all though but in those days I never heard about the problems. Lot of people apparently have not had the issues so far but I don't want to get in that crap shoot now that I know about it.

Not to blindly defend Fords---I have a 99 5.4 with original spark plugs (only 60,000 miles)-- but I thought this might be a good place to just throw out a caution to anyone changing there own plugs in any brand motor that has aluminum heads.
BE CAREFUL....aluminum ain't as strong as steel. In fact not just plugs but anything on the motor where you've got steel bolts in aluminum threads.
Use penetrating oil before loosening and use extreme care with a dab of anti-seize compound and a torque wrench when tightening. 

Now that Fall is approaching and the weather cooling off a bit, I'll finally be tackling my Ford's spark plugs (along with other too long neglected maintenance).

If you Western folk hear my screams (from the East), you'll know the outcome.  :(

Fingers crossed....Scotch ready for sorrow or celebration!