The Fatal Flaw of Mercedes Benz Sprinters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewskers

Reaction score
The Sprinter van is a very popular platform for conversion vans, not only by just about every major RV manufacturer, but also among the DIY crowd. I was getting very interested in the possibility of purchasing and converting the new 4x4 version of this van. So I decided to check into the maintenance and reliability of the vehicle, and I am I ever glad I did! I found this article by a man whose business has owned 47 Sprinters since 2008. He describes a very expensive problem with the emissions system that it seems nearly every Sprinter is doomed to have by the time it reaches 120-150K miles. It also describes some outrageous maintenance costs and terrible experiences with Mercedes dealer service.

I hope this article saves someone else from making a very costly mistake.

Here are the links to part 1 and part 2 of the article. Be sure to read the comments as well, some of them are even scarier than the article!

The Fatal Flaw of Mercedes Benz Sprinters Part 1

The Fatal Flaw of Mercedes Benz Sprinters Part 2

Since in Part 2 of the article, the author encourages the article to be reposted in any relevant media publication, I am doing so below:

The Fatal Flaw of Mercedes Benz Sprinters
By Tom Robertson
President at A. Blair Enterprises, Inc.

Apr 24, 2015

This article is my personal opinion, based upon my experiences with Mercedes Benz Sprinter vans.  Please understand that these vehicles are used in a commercial trucking application with annual average mileages exceeding 100,000 miles, and that I am not an automotive or diesel expert.  The majority, but not all of the problems occurring with these vehicles occurred after the initial 100,000 miles.  It is my belief that the problems I have experienced, will occur with a vast majority of every Sprinter as the mileage of each vehicle approaches 120,000 miles. Only 3 vehicles have reached 150,000 miles without serious charges for maintenance.to the EGR-DEF- exhaust system.

Over the past 7 years I have owned a total of 47 Sprinters.  I own an expedited trucking company and keep detailed maintenance and repair records on every vehicle.  These records are available to Mercedes Benz if desired.  This article is being written to warn potential buyers of this vehicle of the fatal flaw hidden in each of these vehicles.

Prior to 2008, when the United States Government mandated diesel exhaust regulations, the Sprinter, manufactured by Mercedes Benz and sold as a Dodge was a real workhorse.  These vehicles performed admirably, providing us with lifetime expected mileages of 500,000 and more.  The cost for maintaining these vehicles while slightly higher than their American made counterparts made up for these differences with their reliability and long term service.

Since 2008 Mercedes Benz developed an extremely complex and expensive exhaust system to comply with our government regulations.  Prior to entering the exhaust system the fumes from the engine pass through an EGR valve.  The exhaust system is comprised of a CDI (control unit) which monitors and actuates the sensors and valves in the exhaust system; a DEF pump. A DEF tank, a DEF temp sensor, a DEF level sensor and an SCR control unit with actuators and sensors.  These items a located under the hood.  The actual exhaust system has three major components; the OXI-Cat and DPF section and two SCR Cat sections.  The OXI-Cat section has an oxygen sensor an exhaust temperature sensor and a backpressure sensor.  There is a N0x sensor and a dosing valve between the OXI-Cat section and the first SCR Cat section.  In the first SCR Cat section there is another temperature sensor, and the last SCR section has one more N0x sensor.  Once the exhausted fumes and particles have passed through this area they are passed through a particulate filter. 

If any of these parts fails prepare to pay as little as $600 for a N0x sensor (there are two), or approximately $800-$1000 for an EGR valve, to a couple of thousand for a SCR catalytic converter (there are two) or a particulate filter (thankfully only one). 

In addition to the complexity of the system, you now must deal with each dealership and their pricing for parts and services.  Sprinters are serviced by Mercedes Benz dealerships across the country.  An oil change can cost as little as $170 at one dealership to as much as $400 by many others.  The repairs to your exhaust system can vary almost as much as their prices to perform a simple oil change. 

Further complicating the problems with this vehicle is the lack of reliability to the repairs made by each dealership.  We have had numerous “repairs” performed at various dealerships at costs of $2000, only to have the engine light appear again within a few hundred miles.  Then when taken to another dealership the “problem” is diagnosed as another sensor or valve and once again we have been charged up to $2000.  Mercedes Benz diagnoses of the check engine light are unreliable and many times we have been charged for repairs that do not resolve the problem. 

If the system becomes completely clogged and the entire system needs replacement, prepare to pay approximately $6000.  You read that correctly…$6000.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter fatal flaw is directly related to the components involved with their exhaust system.  The cost in maintaining and repairing these vehicles is a staggering average of .10 cents per mile.  Compare that figure to less than two cents a mile for that of their American counterparts made by Dodge Ram’s ProMaster and Ford’s Transit. 

Another contributing factor to Mercedes Sprinter ownership woes, is that Mercedes Benz dealership’s treat the maintenance and repairs of a “commercial vehicle” no differently than their luxury vehicles.  Mercedes Benz needs develop a dramatically less expensive exhaust system, or replace the diesel engine with an efficient 6 cylinder gas engine if they plan to continue to sell these vehicles as commercial trucks and compete effectively against Ford and Dodge.

If you plan to use your Sprinter as a true commercial vehicle, and plan to drive more than 50,000 miles a year, it would serve you well to look at the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster.  Consider nothing more than the differences in the costs of oil changes…Ford or Ram $30- $40…Mercedes Sprinter $170-$400.  Now look at the cost for the first 100,000 miles $300-$400 for the others vs $1700-$4000 for the Sprinter.  The differences in other routine maintenance items are relatively consistent with the differences seen for oil changes.   

When you couple the excessive charges for routine maintenance with the astronomical charges for repairs to the items associated with the EGR-DEF- Exhaust System, the cost of ownership is an expense that can greatly affect your bottom line.  Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000!  That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs.  Can your business afford such an expense?  I can assure you that mine cannot.  With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered. 

While I am informed by my local dealership in Louisville that their sales have never been higher for the first quarter of previous years, it is my belief that when the truth of the fatal flaw is known, their sales will plummet.

Wake up Mercedes Benz!  If you’re going to compete in the commercial truck market in the United States, lower your parts and service rates and give us a gas engine without the present diesel exhaust system- The fatal flaw of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

If you can't afford the maintenance, don't buy the car. I have had more than one service department tell me that as I took care of my clients cars. They know who the majority of their buyers are and expect them to accept the cost as part of ownership and lifestyle. None of them are MORE reliable, I have put more miles on some driving back and forth from the dealers than the clients do themselves. I can tell you that if you plan on keeping one past the warranty period, buy a extended warranty. Even then keeping them too long means having the dealer tell you when it's time to replace timing belts and what not just to keep the warranty valid. They are going to milk you one way or another. Even a light bulb is going to cost you and getting put in....wow.

it's not just sprinters with these problems all newer diesels have these problems. it's just sprinters cost a ton more. highdesertranger

I was really excited and fully anticipated buying the Sprinter 4x4 when it came out. I never buy first year models of new cars though, as there are usually bugs they work out the first year. I almost skipped my own rule as I've wanted a 4x4 van for as long as I can remember. Liked them even as a little kid. Glad I waited though, as they seem nothing short of a disaster. Hoping they fix the issues in the coming years and i'l revisit the idea, however it's still an expensive vehicle for repairs and not all dealers work on them, so it will probably always be a no go.

A good friend of the family has worked at a Land Rover dealer for years and she always has irate customers bringing in their brand new 100k vehicles for repairs time after time. But they are a status symbol and the costs don't seem to affect their lives at all. I don't have a never ending bank account unfortunetly, so if I bought a 50k sprinter, it would have to last 20 years almost trouble free to be able to absorb/afford the purchase price and for me that just isn't a gamble I'm willing to take.

Love the style/look though, think the the sharpest looking of the euro style vans.

Still debating my Quigley conversion one of these days to a new Chevy Express. I've been finding owners of them for the last two years and it's about a 70/30 split on owner satisfaction. 70% being satisfied. I think i've personally talked (through email) with about 30 owners. Three in person who were all very pleased. I actually have a separate savings account just for the project, completely funded by buying/reselling on craigslist and the like. But it will eventually go towards whatever vehicle build I decide. Decided to start it's own account in case it ends up being a total dud, it won't affect the rest of my life financially at all. Tend to think i'll eventually end up trying it.

Quigley is also converting the Nissan NV and Ford Transit. Here's a video of the Transit conversion tooling around Moab, it's no Wrangler but it's pretty impressive for a van!

With all newer diesels preventive maintenance is something that needs to be looked at.

I have not had any of the huge maintenance costs with my Mercedes Benz that a lot of people have had.
My brother that drives a newer semi says the same thing about preventive maintenance.

The Sprinter is too pricey for me. Oil change cost alone seems outrageous.

I almost ordered a GMC Savana Quigley 4x4 conversion.  I found out that Quigley will not supply a build list of all the GM part #'s used in the conversion.  LAME.  You have to buy replacement parts for the converted bits from Quigley. 

I won't own a rig that I can't walk into a parts store and buy what I need for it.  I only own vehicles that have a wide, deep and cheap parts stream backing them up. One source only? No way!

So glad that I did not go down that road.

Meanwhile in Europe MBs are like Dodges. Just another manufacturer.

The US MB dealerships are used to raping well to do customers with high end cars and have no idea that fleet truck maintenance is not the same as a maintaining a CLK.

29chico said:
I won't own a rig that I can't walk into a parts store and buy what I need for it.  I only own vehicles that have a wide, deep and cheap parts stream backing them up.  One source only?  No way!

I have now read a lot of owner's experiences with 4x4 van conversions, I've come to realize this is an extremely important thing. I discovered one outfit that makes parts availability and serviceability a prominent sales point: http://quadvan.com/ 

Some quotes from their website: "100% Unaltered Factory Parts ... Your 4x4 Van (fleet) can be serviced by any mechanic or repair facility that has access to factory Ford parts...we make serviceability a top priority. All of our 4×4 Class C’s use Factory Ford components so you can easily find replacements. When you are in your home away from home – serviceability is going to be a top concern. Our competition custom modifies their parts, so only someone trained by them (or AT LEAST in communication with) can actually affect repairs. This customization costs you tremendously in the long run."

It appears, however, that they convert only Ford vans.

This discussion thread is one of the major reasons I like to keep it simple. Get a low mileage generic used well built vehicle. Put in good parts as needed. Generic is Ford, or Toyota. Maybe Dodge but not sure on reliability; though parts are cheap. Always look at parts costs, and do those parts last or not, and are they plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Goshawk, in fact, that's what I did 9 years ago, I bought a gently used 4Runner and repairs and maintenance have been very easy on the wallet, it's not very much more expensive to run than a passenger car. Now I would like to get away from towing yet still have 4x4 capability, but these 4x4 vans look like a real pain to me. I will probably just stick with towing. I can keep my 4Runner going for a long to come, and replace my trailer relatively cheaply if I happen to destroy it traipsing down back roads!

When I worked for Mercedes Benz "Back in THE day"....... Mercedes Auto dealers had NOTHING to do with Mercedes trucks. If we had a truck, we ordered parts from the truck dealers.
We focused on financially "raping" the Auto Owners exclusively.

Trucks were sold and serviced by truck dealers.

I'm guessing that situation should be returned to?

Dave

WOW! I always thought Mercedes Benz would be the Gold Standard of Sprinters. Now I understand that the only Gold they are interested in comes from the consumers pockets.
Thanks for posting this. I will now regard Mercedes as being in the same class with Poison Ivy. :(

Ballenxj said:
WOW! I always thought Mercedes Benz would be the Gold Standard of Sprinters. Now I understand that the only Gold they are interested in comes from the consumers pockets.
Thanks for posting this. I will now regard Mercedes as being in the same class with Poison Ivy. :(

One of the more interesting things in that very interesting post is that he's doing pretty well with the Ram Promasters which I had thought had lots of problems.

cortttt said:
One of the more interesting things in that very interesting post is that he's doing pretty well with the Ram Promasters which I had thought had lots of problems.

Another article suggesting that for fleets diesels may not be the way to go - http://www.government-fleet.com/art...nvestment-only-fleet-managers-know-about.aspx

Some comments: 

1. About five years ago I made the switch to purchasing gasoline engines for light and medium duty except for 4 GM pick-up trucks as a test. We are not the only ones who have realized the benefits of Diesel over gasoline have gone away with the implementation of complex and engine damaging emission control systems. As a result of increased demand Ford is now offering a V10 gasoline in class 7 trucks.
  2. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nevertheless, gasoline engine maintenance will be continue to trump its diesel counterparts and, given current the overall cost of ownership of the two, my calculations say a user can replace the gasoline engine twice (long block) over the life of an extreme 250,000 mile vehicle retention cycle and still come out ahead.[/font]

Two gasoline engines are better than one Diesel engine. Given costs of parts and specialized skills. Completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Road Leads Home said:
I was really excited and fully anticipated buying the Sprinter 4x4 when it came out.  I never buy first year models of new cars though, as there are usually bugs they work out the first year.  I almost skipped my own rule as I've wanted a 4x4 van for as long as I can remember.  Liked them even as a little kid.  Glad I waited though, as they seem nothing short of a disaster.  Hoping they fix the issues in the coming years and i'l revisit the idea, however it's still an expensive vehicle for repairs and not all dealers work on them, so it will probably always be a no go.

A good friend of the family has worked at a Land Rover dealer for years and she always has irate customers bringing in their brand new 100k vehicles for repairs time after time.  But they are a status symbol and the costs don't seem to affect their lives at all.  I don't have a never ending bank account unfortunetly, so if I bought a 50k sprinter, it would have to last 20 years almost trouble free to be able to absorb/afford the purchase price and for me that just isn't a gamble I'm willing to take.  

Love the style/look though, think the the sharpest looking of the euro style vans.

Still debating my Quigley conversion one of these days to a new Chevy Express.  I've been finding owners of them for the last two years and it's about a 70/30 split on owner satisfaction.  70% being satisfied.  I think i've personally talked (through email) with about 30 owners.  Three in person who were all very pleased.  I actually have a separate savings account just for the project, completely funded by buying/reselling on craigslist and the like.  But it will eventually go towards whatever vehicle build I decide.  Decided to start it's own account in case it ends up being a total dud, it won't affect the rest of my life financially at all.  Tend to think i'll eventually end up trying it.
What are the Quigley Chevy Express/GMC Savana owners saying about them? What do they like and what don't they like? I would love to know. 

Besides the expense the one knock I've heard on them is that you have to take a lot of stuff off to get at the engine. 

The other is that its not needed that much. 

I imagine there's a hit to MPG as well...

Still, be nice to have 4WD.....

I feel that I could add a substantial amount of researched knowledge here without sounding like a know-it-all. But, it can get kinda deep and technical and go different directions on these topics of which 4wd drive system is the one of choice and why, and diesel vs gas. But, as we all know it can technical and long. I think this could be an interesting topic to have for those of us that are interested at the RTR.

cortttt said:
What are the Quigley Chevy Express/GMC Savana owners saying about them? What do they like and what don't they like? I would love to know. 

Besides the expense the one knock I've heard on them is that you have to take a lot of stuff off to get at the engine. 

The other is that its not needed that much. 

I imagine there's a hit to MPG as well...

Still, be nice to have 4WD.....

I was really interested in getting a Quigley conversion Savana van. Then I discovered that they will not give you a build list of all the "genuine factory parts" that they used in the conversion. You have to buy the parts from them. No thank you Quigly.

I will not own a vehicle that does not have a wide, deep and cheap parts stream.