First time at RTR this year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be my first time also! Soooo looking forward to it! My van will be somewhat of a standout. It's in my profile. After RTR, I'll hanging out in lower AZ until a boat and car show in Needles towards the end of February. I'm hitting the Oregon Trail in April, May and June. With sidetrips to Deadwood, SD,,,Devils Tower and Little Big Horn.

Me and my significant other will be going to the RTR in 2019.We plan on using a tent.We want to know if others have tried this and if they faced any issues. :D

the wind can get a little annoying at times and it always seems to rain on the RTR. so keep those in mind. the ground is almost 100% rock, not big rocks but small rocks so you need a heavy ground cloth. you also need heavy duty stakes, the stakes that come with most tents will not cut it. I found you need at least 1/2 diameter x 12+ inches long as the minimum. I don't even use a tent but sleep under tarps but I am use to it. highdesertranger

Another first timer here. Heading down from Seattle area. Will be in So Cal, AZ, NM, NV for most of December. May look for one of the caravans but I'd like to get over to NM and visit friends in UT maybe. This will by far be my longest time in the van - only did 3 weeks before.

Thinking about making my first trip there. Started my full time on the road journey back in May in my Van and small travel trailer. Will be coming from East Texas. Hoping to meet some people too. Planning on traveling around AZ/UT/ID/CO probably into the summer months this year!

:idea:This is going to be my first year at the Rtr as well. The van is in the shape it was in when I bought it lol. I am from Arizona so it isnt much of a drive for me. I figured it would be fun to get out and meet some people and get some ideas from others. My name is Robert I have a big old blue hightop ford E350 If you see me say high lol Id love to talk with people and pick their brains concerning my soon to start build.

I would love to show up, but my 32' Heartland North Country camper, and lifted diesel Excursion would probably be out of place. I just started researching this lifestyle, and still work full time, and have a 10 acre farm with many animals, and a wife of 30 years that doesn't want to do extended travel.

Possibly going solo after I retire for short stints in the Winter.

ckelly78z said:
I would love to show up, but my 32' Heartland North Country camper, and lifted diesel Excursion would probably be out of place.

Not at all.  There will probably be a pack of folks with 32' trailers and lifted diesel SUVs camping together around a camp sign that says "Long tall Sallies" or somthing.   :D 

Everything from Class A road barges to tent campers on bicycles.

waverider1987 said:
Forgot to say, I will have my massage table at the gathering, so that will be an easy way to find me.  

I think I saw in an old RTR video that there isn't supposed to be any "sales" at camp, but I trade my massage work for other services as well.  Maybe i'll put up a sign that says "Body work for Gas Donations".  I don't know if that will fly or not, or maybe just don't put up any sign.  Idk.  I thought I could help people's aches and pains go away and make a little bit of gas money while I was there, if allowed.

I would be very leery of putting up any sign bartering for services, especially money. Maybe a tip or donation jar that is less conspicuous would be better.

I'd never trust a place where I wasn't out of place.

Attachments

• Groucho.jpg
    Groucho.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 20
thanks for the link, that was a pretty good post for newbies. I especially like number 11, let me be more specific as some people have no clue or respect for others.

THE SPEED LIMIT AT RTR IS NO DUST OR 5 MPH, IN OTHER WORDS IF YOU ARE MAKING DUST YOU ARE DRIVING TO FAST, PERIOD.

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR LAME EXCUSES, SLOW DOWN.

if you drive past my camp to fast you will hear about it. highdesertranger

_KJ_ said:
It will be my first time this year, too!!
Please look for me in my vintage 21’ 1978 Dodge class A with light blue stripes!
I’m really excited :))

Town is not too far away I know a woman that cuts hair in her RV that is parked at the "flea market area" she does quite well

For three years now I’ve been trying to attend the RTR, but my work always got in the way. I am almost 63 and work only part time now. So looking forward to this, but admit I’m a little apprehensive about the trip down from Wa state. This time really looks like a go - do not have a Van or SUV.... will be me and a tent in my Honda Civic with crvl sticker attached! I am on a mission - hope to make a decision on the best vehicle best suited for both me and my husband, partly based on vehicle set-ups I see while in Arizona.  Leaning toward Class B or possibly a Trailer. 
Btw ...this is my first trip to Az. too! :) Unfortunately, will only make the last day of Women’s RTR. 
Snowbunny 
PS: Much thanks for Bob W., the admins, and those who share their vast knowledge.....I have been lurking on here for three years and learning so much!

I’m with you on the dust HDR!

I also wish people had the courtesy to stay on the road on the way in and not drive in the dirt. There are quite a few campers parked along the road and they get dusted every time.

my take on it is they are city folk and have very little off highway driving experience. I learned before I even had a drivers license that you do not make dust when driving past someone's house. but also just as important you don't make dust next to their crops. you gain a lot of respect from rural folks if you follow the simple no dust rule. one way and you are a city slicker tin horn and the other way you are one of them. highdesertranger

Hi waverider1987

I'm planning to attend RTR for the first time. Today is 12/12/18 and I just remembered to put in for time off from work, which understandably upset my supervisor, but she approved it.

Little does she know that I won't be returning to my job if I can figure out a way to keep living in my vehicle.

I hope to see you there.

Alma

Hola Waverider...and other noobies! 

I'm a noob on this site but not to RTR. I went last year and I got to say independently from all the potential negative ideas in my own head at the time last year, I had a GREAT experience.

I met soooo many people that became friends and we since have traveled in and out of the US together in small and large caravans. 

I've learned SO much from everyone at RTR
how to cook
how to stay warm/cool
how to deal with mosquitoes
how to travel/park/sleep safely and my favorite stealthly
how to shower IN the van
how to use the bathroom in the van
etc etc

the point is...WELCOME, and you will be fine. 

I had the freedom to be as close or as far away on a daily basis as I wanted to, and traveling with my dog allowed me to connect with people and also force me to retreat to the local dog park 10 min away each day.

RTR is so much of an experience no single person will adequately be able to tell you what YOU will experience. 

I'll be the black sprinter van with the german shepherd sitting next to me. 

I look forward to meeting new people and sharing whatever insights I've picked up along the way since last year.

Happy travels all!

Attachments

• rtr HDR.jpg
    rtr HDR.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 27