First time at RTR this year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just drive off BLM property to do the transfer like a police station parking lot.

waverider1987 said:
Hi all,

This will be my first year at the RTR.  Finally doing it after years of putting it off but this year my van is ready and so am I.  I was curious how many other people this will be their first time as well.  I'm traveling solo from Virginia with my cat and hope to meet a few good people there at least.  I've considered coming early for the women's RTR if I can get out there in time.  After the RTR I plan to start my travels around the country.  I want to visit as many national parks/forests as possible and will be traveling slow and cheap, as I want to travel as much as I can before I have to stop and work somewhere again.  

Anyway, if this is also your first time, or second even, feel free to say hi, and maybe i'll see ya there.
Me too- coming from Idaho

HalfShadows said:
If there is a pot Texas beans cooking I will sniff it out. And for the most part I am a law abiding citizen. If you abandon that pot of beans for just the minute amount of time, you may return to it to find that the previous level has dropped considerably.

Haha, well if I decide to make some I'll be sure and let you know. Maybe some arroz con pollo too. MAYBE LOL

Hello, I am a newb as well. Not sure about going to the RTR as the crowd will be too large for my taste. Maybe the WRTR, driving is hard on my back so I would definitely benefit from a good massage and will gladly help with your gas fund. I am in Kansas and will hit the road mid November. Safe travels!

Also first RTR from NC. Leaving 11/1 and taking a low and slow cruise. About 2200 miles and lots to see. Hope everyone has a safe trip!

waverider I am going to the rtr I went last year but I did not really meat anybody I would travel with maybe if you want I am going to travel southeast. look me up im in a brown ford f 150 with a toyhauler trailer stealth. that's the name of the trailer not stealth looking at all.   thanks bill

My first time. Have no clue what to expect. With the # of people it almost sounds like burning man - LOL. I will be lost in the crowd.

They are also starting 2 caravans in just another week, that people can join and get used to the CRVL idea. They will be small, with no more than 75 people, and travelers can come and go.
- https://www.cheaprvliving.com/caravans/caravan-locations/

Bob Wells has a video of 2018 RTR, with drone views. Lots of people, but spread out.
-

we have some clarification from the BLM,

The letter of the law, from the Yuma Field Office, is absolutely no selling, exchange of goods or services or money or other goods or services (barter). Last year the BLM staff let folks do one-off sales/barters on the bulletin board. But, no business dealings. No signage.

highdesertranger

So just wondering should you block out comercial signs if your vehicle has them, like web sites that are an income source?

Now that HDR has put Yuma on guard, they'll definitely be sending revenuer spies. If a 20-something blond girl walks up and asks for a Taco, just beware!

So, for an example: if someone volunteers to help me with something, say, they fix a leaky tap...
I cannot then show my appreciation with a nice dinner or a couple cold-ones?
Technically that’s bartering, is this frowned on by the regular CRVL people? Will I get finked on and kicked out?

The BLM has a hard time getting enough staff to collect fees and answer or respond to calls. Enforcement is usually only required when violations are apparent and obvious or complants are called in. As the RTR has a good reputation and the proper permits the organizer will be the first person they see in most cases. Just do you best to not let that happen and if you can not, camp else where on the BLM and take your chances or go off BLM and join the rest of the crowd where it is legal, pretty simple. The more problems the more attention and most of us don't want attention do we?

_KJ_ said:
Technically that’s bartering, is this frowned on by the regular CRVL people? Will I get finked on and kicked out?

Personally, I don't think that would be a problem. Not a pre-arranged agreement in that case.

what I am saying is don't get caught. I doubt anybody is going to drop a dime on you unless you piss them off. my whole purpose of bringing this up was to let everybody know that it is illegal. so watch what you do. highdesertranger

Yeah, we got that the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th time you said it, HDR. We're just funning you. But if someone messes up, it's their own fault.

To visit the National Parks starting immediately after the RTR you will want to visit those in the south first.  After last year's RTR I went directly to Joshua Tree National Park in Calif.  The weather was great then for visiting that park.  Just plan to visit the more southern parks first, there will be cold and snow in area of the  Grand Canyon that early so do those a little later on.    Hope to meet you on the road.