First time at RTR this year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDR , Is there going to be a Handicap area ? For us that can't get around to good!! my first year so wondering

well I can't say with any certainty but the area around the main campfire/seminar area is usually reserved for the handicap. highdesertranger

Souleem said:
  Today is 12/12/18 and I just remembered to put in for time off from work, which understandably upset my supervisor, but she approved it.

A month's notice for vacation seems ok to me!  I hope you figure out the details of getting on the road.

This will be my second time. But feels like new since we're going to a different spot. Now I'm prepared and know what to expect and have the confidence to go out and talk to more people. Plus, the friends I made last year are coming back so now I've got people to camp with. Definitely recommend it to everyone else.

This will be my first RTR.  I can't wait.  I am worried about what, when, why, where.   I think it will be crowded like "Opening Day" at a ball park!   All in good time.  I'm very patient though so will socialize while in line!  See you all there.  
Also the originator of the thread was interested in National Parks properties. I have visited 105, as of today.  Saguaro was closed for the government shutdown.  It would normally have been closed on Christmas day anyway.  But I can tell you about some great parks to go to as I am sure many others can.
Hope to see you there!

I'm still on the fence about going or not going. I think what's keeping me from committing, is that Im seeing a lot of photos of beautiful RV's, campervans and sprinters. I have an old E350 that I painted myself just to cover up the peeling paint [emoji12] She's not a runway van model but she's got a strong heart and great ribs. Unfortunately, due to my disability I haven't completed the van layout so it's pretty basic, nothing I would want you to show-and-tell. I guess I'm wanting to know is, are there a lot of old not so pretty van faces at the gathering?

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

sierranighttide said:
Unfortunately, due to my disability I haven't completed the van layout so it's pretty basic, nothing I would want you to show-and-tell. I guess I'm wanting to know is, are there a lot of old not so pretty van faces at the gathering?

Oh hell yeah!
There's a lot of 'babies' that only a mother could love.... :D

Don't let an incomplete build stop you from coming to the RTR, you may just find either some help or some ideas on how to finish it differently than you thought you were going to.

No one has to put their van on display if they don't want to!

Almost There said:
Oh hell yeah!
There's a lot of 'babies' that only a mother could love.... :D

[emoji16]
[emoji23]
Thank you
[emoji171]

sierranighttide, believe me when I say a pretty vehicle is not a prerequisite. in fact if you see mine you would know what I mean. highdesertranger

Mine is sort of like a ghost pirate ship, you can not believe it is still moving and I'm not real worried about my image, in fact I'm just glad if someone doesn't try to tow it off.

Ghost pirate ship. That just makes me want to see it [emoji16] I'm imagining Davy Jones and his ship from pirates of the Caribbean. [emoji171]

That would be wishful thinking, mine would be the kind that would make you run away! LOL!!!

sierranighttide said:
I'm still on the fence about going or not going. I think what's keeping me from committing, is that Im seeing a lot of photos of beautiful RV's, campervans and sprinters.

Hate to break it to you but you have to go... I've already packed up the Gopro and you wouldn't make me lug that allllll the way there just to have you not pick it up would you? [emoji57]

Don't let yourself be influenced by someone's highlight/filtered/staged/photoshopped posts. Several studies show mental instability is largely due to online influence.
You do you. You (and your rig) are enough, just as you are.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table not a taller fence.

[emoji16]
[emoji171]

Thank you...And yeah that's pretty much what it's been. I had one bad experience in-person with a van dweller who's very active online and some trolls trashing RTR, saying they wish the uglies (old / ugly vans & RVs wouldn't show up.) I definitely want to be a little braver in 2019 and I believe this is the perfect way to start it.

I'm also an Escapee club member also from when most were transient workers and as some else said " I wouldn't belong to a group that wanted me to join!"

"saying they wish the uglies (old / ugly vans & RVs wouldn't show up."

I should would like to know who is saying this?

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"saying they wish the uglies (old / ugly vans & RVs wouldn't show up."

I should would like to know who is saying this?

highdesertranger
I saw the comments on YouTube videos and Facebook groups. Its one of the reason I stopped using a lot of FB groups - too much negatvity and trolling.

Sent from my RCT6873W42M using Tapatalk

Who said that???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, for us newbies at this RTR, you just walk around saying hello? Area that newbies are camped? Stand up at the welcome campfire and say, "Hi, my name is Keith and this is my first time"?

My mood dictates whether I'm forward or not at the time.