Finding Caravans??????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent a few weeks boondocking in the Flagstaff area. There was no shortage of sites that a group could occupy.
I joined the group to see where the caravans were going to be. None of them were where I wanted to be, so I never went.

Someone has to be the leader in such things. If everyone is a follower then there will never be any caravans out there to join. So if you really want to be in a caravan create one and invite others to join. Make a change in your life, step up and be the one who creates something instead of waiting on other people to do it all for you.

The problem with leading a Caravan is you are somewhat committed to it. As a regular member of a Caravan you can say see you later folks and go a separate way. You are kind of volunteering to babysit not only the people that are new, but possibly also those that are just a pain in the butt.

DannyB1954 said:
The problem with leading a Caravan is you are somewhat committed to it. As a regular member of a Caravan you can say see you later folks and go a separate way. You are kind of volunteering to babysit not only the people that are new, but possibly also those that are just a pain in the butt.
I can see that you are not planning to be a leader :p

maki2 said:
I can see that you are not planning to be a leader :p

It is so lonely at the top. lol. I do in general like people, but I also like the option of being able to walk away from some of them. How about I pick the location and you be the leader? That would be great. 
I am a host for Couchsurfers at my home base, so I do like to help travelers, but the difference being in two or three days they will be gone.

B and C said:
It is probably the only way they have of limiting the number of attendees.  A sub forum might turn out like the Summer RTR.  We all know that went sideways.

Why do you think they want to limit the number of attendees to the caravans? That makes absolutely no sense. 

There is no mystery or secret cabal of caravaners. If you want to join a caravan, join the meetup group, then sign up for a specific caravan. That's the alpha and beta.

maki2 said:
Someone has to be the leader in such things. If everyone is a follower then there will never be any caravans out there to join.  So if you really want to be in a caravan create one and invite others to join.  Make a change in your life, step up and be the one who creates something instead of waiting on other people to do it all for you.

OMG YES

annabell said:
Why do you think they want to limit the number of attendees to the caravans? That makes absolutely no sense. 

A special permit is required that costs money if the caravans have more than 75 people.

The summer RTR had about a 100 people show up and Bob got a big fine for not having a permit.  There was no way to tell how many would show.

B and C said:
A special permit is required that costs money if the caravans have more than 75 people.

The summer RTR had about a 100 people show up and Bob got a big fine for not having a permit.  There was no way to tell how many would show.

B and C

The caravans have clearly defined space limits. 

These limits are defined withing the meetup group for each caravan. Therefore, each caravan will not exceed its limit, which to my understanding is about 15-20 people.

Your argument is invalid.

Go to the caravan website and ask there to get the answer you seek. Only speculation here on this website unless someone from the caravan group posts here. I gave the best answer that I know.

highdesertranger said:
when I first suggested that [Caravan Forums on CheapRVLiving] way back when they were first starting, they didn't want to because they wanted to limit information.  they cited privacy issues.  odd,  like they are/were hiding.  they said they wanted to control who had access to the caravan information.  highdesertranger

Yeah, that is one of the things that turned me off to one of the caravans. It was as if they started right off wanting to have control over who got to be in their caravan, even though Bob said from the beginning that anyone should be able to just show up, unannounced, any time they wanted.

I would definitely be up for being part of a caravan that was truly open and transparent, aligned with Bob's original vision for the caravans. One that had all their communications right here on the CheapRVLiving forums.

After reading Suanne's post about switching to Meetup.com, I can see the need for limiting the number of people who can sign up for a given location. And I can see that the tools on Meetup.com are ideally suited for this task. But I still think it should be completely transparent and run on a first-come-first-served basis (which is how Meetup.com events work) rather than selectively choosing who the leaders deem worthy of joining (like one of the caravans did).

tx2sturgis said:
Uh....what's a caravan?

:huh:
A group of people traveling and camping together. One of the purposes was to get people new to vehicle dwelling accustomed with camping and moving every two weeks. It was boondocking 101 with training wheels. It was also a way for experienced people to get with others to see if they could find some travel buddies.
here is the meetup page https://www.meetup.com/Caravans/events/ to get the locations you need to sign up. It looks like all the groups are in Oregon.

lol....

My comment was intended to express how 'secret' they are...you know...nudge nudge, wink wink...

I thought that would be pretty obvious.

I know that you have been around for a while, I thought I would explain for someone that is new. They wouldn't know you were joking.

In the past before these caravans many people have had good luck with finding a place they want to hang out (camp) and just invite peeps via these forum to come join them.  I have met many very amazing people this way.

"It looks like all the groups are in Oregon."
That is "currently in" Oregon.

One of the stated reasons for cloaking the caravans was "lurkers" on CRVL Forum.
lurker - A lurker is someone that follows the forum, but doesn’t post.
I think that the Caravan group may have meant "stalker".

Who cares if someone follows the forum and doesn’t post? Why would anyone want to stalk a caravan anyway