CRVL Caravans on Meetup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
The CheapRVLiving (CRVL) Caravans, that began last November, have been extremely successful.  They've been a place for nomads to gather.  New folks to the lifestyle have especially appreciated that they could be with like-minded people.  The camaraderie and community spirit that emerge within the caravans has been amazing to watch and experience.  As a nomad, you aren't alone.

For CRVL Caravan information and sign-ups, we are starting to use an online program and phone app called "Meetup."  I will be posting location information for the April-June Caravans later this week.  You can get onto Meetup now to start getting those notifications.  To sign up for Meetup, go to http://meetu.ps/c/4gMQt/JKW69/d?fbclid=I...4TKgNNuZG8

If you just want to check out the CRVL Caravans Meetup page without getting an account, go to https://www.meetup.com/caravans/ .  However, since this is a private Meetup group, you will not be able to see Caravan locations without setting up a Meetup account.

Why Meetup?  In the Spring, Summer and Fall, many caravan locations will be small.  So, we need to limit participants so that we don't overcrowd and do damage to the camp area, nor have a ranger cite participants for being too many in one place.

These smaller caravan camps are "no-host" and first-come-first-served based on Meetup RSVPs.  We ask that those that arrive to a location first, welcome participants who come later.  We also ask that if a location is already occupied that you find another camp in the nearby area and let us know where it is (coordinates) so that we can update the information in Meetup.  Communication between participants and Meetup organizers will be very important so that when someone new comes out to join a caravan they really do find that they aren't alone.  Meetup has good communication tools.

Safe travels everyone!

What a terrific idea to use "meetup.com" for the caravans. Do you have a direct meetups link of name? I am already signed up on meetup for other groups. The link you posted wants me to enter through facebook or google. I would rather go directly than link through sites who like to watch where I go and what I do.

^^^^^^MAKI2...............There's a third method using your e-mail address...…….I just completed mine...….we'll see what it's like...…..

I am interested in how these caravans have been working out. Pros\Cons. The good, the bad, the ugly. Not in this thread(and not trying to be off topic to much), but if someone wants to take the time to start a thread about caravans...

Glad to hear that the caravans have been doing well!

They need to watch the size of the groups so permits are not needed. We got into trouble with the summer RTR a few years ago where people just showed up and Bob ended up with a pretty hefty fine because too many people were there and no permit. There was no way to predict how many people were going to be there, hence the RSVP to control the size.

Thanks Brian. That's correct.

Plus we'll need to have more smaller groups (vs. fewer large groups) in the Spring, Summer and Fall because, at the elevation required for comfortable weather, the camping spaces are smaller due to the increase in plant life (forests) and the contours of the land (often in the mountains).

Thanks for using Meetup so that we limit the numbers at each camp to prevent doing damage to the land/nature surrounding our sites, as well as that we don't get unwanted attention from the rangers.

Suanne