Caravan pulling a "caravan"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I chose the name "CaravanCaravan" because I am building out my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan to live in but it wasn't going to be quite enough space so I decided to build my own mini-cargo-trailer too. The British call camper trailers "caravans" so I figured that would make a good enough online name. I will live in the minivan and use the trailer for extra supplies and as a work area for activities that make more dirt than I want in my living area. I like to build and make stuff all the time, and I have gotten rid of then had to re-buy tools way too many times. So, the trailer will be a bit of a tool storage shed too. The trailer will be kind of like a popup, but without any fold-out sides. It is only about two feet tall, with a removable cover. The cover will lift up and be held up by poles. I can then hang screen or fabric walls around the sides. It will be more like a rolling back porch than a camper. The trailer will be pretty small, at just 4.5' wide by 8' long, and only about 2' tall when the cover is down (not counting the wheels and metal frame). I will post pictures of everything once I figure out how to post pictures here. 

I have decided that I would like to remain anonymous for now. I'm even going to try to keep my gender to myself. So, I will be intentionally vague about cities I have lived in and things like that. If any of you think you can guess who I am, I would appreciate it if you did not try. Thanks. 

I can tell you I have lived in an RV for almost two years. I tried living in an apartment again but I just couldn't stand paying all that rent money to someone who was basically doing everything they could to NOT give me what I was paying for. So, I decided to live in my minivan. I lived in it for almost a year while working and saving money. Exactly like Bob says to do on the home page. I built a simple bed along the passenger side just by laying a board on top of some tubs. Then I built a really nice cabinet with a fold-down desktop on the driver's side. This model of Dodge Grand Caravan had seats that would fold all the way down into the floor. I took them out and now have tons of storage under the floor. Those seats weighed a ton. When I load the minivan with all my worldly possessions or a load of lumber, it still doesn't sit as low as it did with those massive seats in there. 

I am now staying at a friend's place for free while I use their garage to build my trailer. I let them live in my house for free many years ago, so they are repaying the favor. I expect to have the trailer finished in a few weeks and be able to hit the road after that.

I plan to put a ton of solar on top of my minivan. Two of the highest output Renogy panels put out about 580 watts, total, and will fit on top of my minivan cross-wise with the ends sticking out past the roof-line by just a few inches, but not past the widest part of the sides. If the minivan were white, it would look like the Flying Nun. The batteries will go in one of the spots where the seats used to be. 

I guess that's it for now.
You all can call me CC if you want.

Welcome to the CRVL forums CC! Sounds like a very interesting project. Looking forward to the pictures!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

CaravanCaravan said:
 I decided to live in my minivan. I lived in it for almost a year while working and saving money. Exactly like Bob says to do on the home page. I built a simple bed along the passenger side just by laying a board on top of some tubs. Then I built a really nice cabinet with a fold-down desktop on the driver's side.

This model of Dodge Grand Caravan had seats that would fold all the way down into the floor. I took them out and now have tons of storage under the floor. 

I plan to put a ton of solar on top of my minivan. Two of the highest output Renogy panels put out about 580 watts, total, and will fit on top of my minivan cross-wise with the ends sticking out past the roof-line by just a few inches, but not past the widest part of the sides. If the minivan were white, it would look like the Flying Nun. The batteries will go in one of the spots where the seats used to be. 

Hello CC & welcome! Having lived in your Grand Caravan for a year you can give lessons!  A year is a long time...
I was in a 2005 Town & Country for several months, down the west coast to LA, out to Arizona and on to Missouri & then down to Alabama & Georgia.  It was doable, it was easy to park, good gas mileage & fit in parking garages but it was not the best place to hang out for a couple of rainy days. After Georgia things changed & I was not alone anymore, we used her class B then.

Those fold up individual back seats have a value to the VW Vanagon community,  they can me made to replace the front seats for a more comfortable ride. Just saying... If you want to check it out you can probably find something at thesamba.com . Those are heavy!
I had gotten rid of my front passenger seat too but that didn't work out as a kitchen area (I then did that in back with the rear hatch open) so I bought another from a wrecking yard.

I put a single solar panel on my roof, between the roof racks. I was surprised at how well it was hidden.  
http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html 

Good luck & enjoy the journey!

becida said:
Those fold up individual back seats have a value to the VW Vanagon community,  they can me made to replace the front seats for a more comfortable ride.

I tried calling the local salvage yards at the time, but I couldn't give those things away. The buyers at the salvage yards said they never had anyone ever looking for them. I could maybe have sold them just for the scrap metal, but I didn't have the time or the energy at the time, so I just put them in the dumpster.

becida said:
I put a single solar panel on my roof, between the roof racks. I was surprised at how well it was hidden.  

I am no longer concerned with stealth. I am mostly concerned with getting as much electricity as I possibly can.

Thanks.

Latest posts