"Active & Fit" gym membership

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chick-a-go

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this "for what it's worth":  
Some of you have heard of Silver Sneakers or Silver & Fit which are free gym memberships provided with certain Medicare Advantage plans.  Turns out there is one for non-Medicare participants.  It is called "Active & Fit."  It is not open to the public.  You have to be part of a participating group.  If you have Cigna insurance, you should be eligible.  That is how I found out about it.  Looks like Kaiser, at least in Northern California and HI, participates; Providence Heath plan; Pacific Source health plans.  The website says other groups and some employers make it available.  Membership eligible people can invite up to 3 "family members" to join.  (See the FAQ's for more info on this) It is $25 per month and gives you access to multiple gym chains.  I see Planet Fitness, Curves, Anytime Fitness, YMCA's, Snap Fitness, Gold's Gym, LA Fitness and 24/7.  This seems like it would be really good for gym/shower access if you are close to cities or larger towns at all.  I put the link to the website below.  (It's a little hard to get access to detail if you are not logged in via a participating group's website.)  I have not joined yet but am considering it - sorry I cannot give first hand details.     
I found a web article that mentions "Active & Fit Direct" which says that you do not have to be a member of a health plan to sign up, but that contradicts info found elsewhere... so not sure about that part....  
Hope this is useful to someone.... please share info if you belong or join.

The moderator advises that I am not allowed to post links to the relevant websites. Sorry. You can probably find them via a browser search or if you can't find them, perhaps I can provide them via PM.

I think our Blue Cross plan offers it as well. Not a super deal unless you are on the road, where having access to a variety of places would be great.

Sounds interesting, but I have a question or two. If you are a member of, for example, planet Fitness, and you visit a town which only has Hollywood Fitness, how hard is it under the Active & Fit program to use the HA gym? Do you have to officially switch your membership to HA? This could be a real hassle, especially since 5 small towns may have only one gym, each in a different network, which may require a membership change in every new town.

Cool thing and good to know, thanks for posting it.

I have an elderly neighbor who has a deal like this through her health insurance, and I think her daughter who is on disability has kind of the same thing going.

Planet Fitness is only $10/month the last time I looked, so that $25 wouldn't pan out as getting you any savings, but Planet Fitness demands access to your checking account, which is a no-go for me. And of course once you're moving from place to place, the value of this sort of plan must increase tremendously.

The 10 buck planet fitness is only to a single location..no good for being mobile

That's not what they told me when they tried to sell me on it about a year ago.

I am curious. If you join one of the nation wide Gym chains do they allow you to use their facilities in any of their locations throughout the United States? Also, I am curious if privately owned facilities also participate in the Active and Fit Programs. How do you find out more about these programs?

Here's a link to the FAQ for Active&Fit. https://www.activeandfitdirect.com/FAQ/

I found it through my insurance carrier. You pay $75 up front to join ($25 for enrollment fee, $25 first month, and $25 next month) My insurance carrier offers a $25 off promo code. You can go to any participating gym without switching or calling. Opps! Edit: After reading further... you switch gyms through their website and reprint your card.

**This info is only gleaned from reading the FAQ.** However, I'm tempted to give this a try when I start traveling...

Thanks to OP for sharing this info.

Just wanted to add that printing doesn't sound mandatory, you can save it to your phone as well.

I apologize, I should have gotten all the info straight in my head before posting.