Just Throwing This Out There for Consumption

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to "the World"..!!
(**This "hat" does'nt fits everyone)...but you've experienced "Today's type of "SEGREGATION".
If you arrive an area where there are "BigBucksRig" right then & then you are "mingling" with humans that are "financially" way "over your head" and some "Not all" feel superior. If at some point you meet them and show "wisdom & vast knowledge" in your conversations with these humans, they tend to overlook your "shown financial status by the Rig you drive"(wich may or may Not be real). They tend to Not become your "Friend". Sad...thing....very....sad.
As I said at the begining..: "This hat does'nt fit everyone." HAPPY TRAILS..!!
Thanks Jraulpilot. Your comment inspired me to change my avatar from a cartoon face to my actual van (the "hat" I wear). As you implied, seeing my "hat" should help people "segregate" me to the category that works best for them.

What I've found is that this "hat" is the perfect fit. No one bothers me. It's old and ugly enough to not excite people to come to see more, while cleaned up and well-kept enough to not cause frowns or head roles. It's in that "sweet spot" where no one cares, my own kind of camouflage. Again, thanks for the idea to display my "hat" as my avatar.

People can have very narrow perspectives. Sorry you had to experience it like that. Puerto Panasco? trying to remember if that is on the mainland below Arizona, or maybe on the peninsula south of San Felipe? What areas do you like to camp down there? I've only camped around Muleje further down, but am interested in exploring more areas. I'm a year away from leaving my current job and then will have lots of time, winter I imagine to explore baja. my sister and her husband have been going every year for a month or so to south of La Paz for windsurfing/ kite boarding. Sounds like a nice place to spend time in winter.
Sorry I didn't write earlier. I just returned from a trip to San Miguel de Allende. What a gorgeous city. Had a great time there. Anyway, yes, Puerto Penasco is below Arizona. Not a long drive. For windsurfing you have to tell your family to drive down to Los Barriles, which is pretty far south, but worth the drive for serious windsurfing. I think Los Barriles is about 90 minutes or so from La Paz.

Bummed to hear about the X-Scapees snobbery, I was considering joining because they might be less stick-up-the-ass than other RV groups.

I feel caught in between these worlds...we don't have a ton of money, but got a 1995 26' Safari Trek to accommodate my two cats safely and comfortably since full-timing is going to be the only financial path forward. Until we can get on a new path career-wise and find a nice affordable chunk of land to build out on, this seems to be best. We're doing what we can to fix er up, but the paint is scratched and dented and oxidized...the rig is old and it's never gonna look great unless we spend $$$ even for a Mexican paint job, body work, etc.

We're both PCT thru-hikers (people who hike from Mexico to Canada) and used to being considered "hiker trash." We're not materialistic people. The trail community was amazing, everyone helping one another survive and thrive. Due to tragedy, illness and burn out, as well as the thru-hiking, done running the rat race and just want to survive while enjoying what remains of our lives, making fair pay doing what we love to help others and the environment.

Never RV'd before, but we certainly have been nomads in various ways. About to be thrown in the deep end, when the mechanics finish the second round of fixes on our rig. We're taking off from my Mom's house in Arizona to Washington, Oregon and California, to take care of business, pick up/dispose of possessions, get advanced suspension work done on the rig and then drop my guy back on the PCT to continue his hike this year while I trail angel and study for a new career.

I'm a bit discouraged by what I read about RV Park discrimination and worried since we're not quite up to extensive boondocking yet, but hopefully we will learn quickly and get our equipment upgraded enough to soon.

I don't feel like we'll be welcomed by the bougie RV communities, but will we be embraced by the Nomads? I've been so impressed by how y'all help and support none another, just like the hikers on trail did. I love people who are creative, free spirits, I don't give a rats ass about anyone's financial status. Realize that my small Class A is never gonna be able to four wheel into the sands of Baja or whatever, but can we hang?

Last edited:
There are plenty of county, state and federal parks out there, if you want a campground with some amenities, and vehicle/non traditional RV/older rigs camping seems to be widely accepted.

Some private campgrounds will be a different issue, but you simply don’t have to try to use them.

There are plenty of county, state and federal parks out there, if you want a campground with some amenities, and vehicle/non traditional RV/older rigs camping seems to be widely accepted.

Some private campgrounds will be a different issue, but you simply don’t have to try to use them.
That's great, thanks! I was a little taken aback when I was looking online for some places to park near the PCT a couple weeks ago and ran into at least three parks with the rule in place, and couldn't find anything elae near where I needed to be. But I might have neglected to look at State Parks and such. We ended up not needing to, since the post-mechanic test drive of my rig revealed out some new issues,so we went in my Jeep to a friend's near where we needed to be instead.

I don't feel like we'll be welcomed by the bougie RV communities, but will we be embraced by the Nomads? I've been so impressed by how y'all help and support none another, just like the hikers on trail did. I love people who are creative, free spirits, I don't give a rats ass about anyone's financial status. Realize that my small Class A is never gonna be able to four wheel into the sands of Baja or whatever, but can we hang?
Yes, you will be embraced! All it takes is a willingness to be friendly and greet people when they are hanging around outside. Nomads live in all types of vehicles so you'll fit in fine with your Trek. I second WanderingRose's advice - stick to public campgrounds. I've never seen a 10-year rule for a public park.

That's great, thanks! I was a little taken aback when I was looking online for some places to park near the PCT a couple weeks ago and ran into at least three parks with the rule in place, and couldn't find anything elae near where I needed to be. But I might have neglected to look at State Parks and such. We ended up not needing to, since the post-mechanic test drive of my rig revealed out some new issues,so we went in my Jeep to a friend's near where we needed to be instead.
There's a little very welcoming "maw & pop" RV park in almost every town of size all over America; that's where my cat and I stay, when not boondocking, in our old but cozy 1988 Mallard 28-foot class C. I'm an old retired fart living out my days as I see fit, and nose in the air RV'ers and they're expensive upscale RV parks turn me off. I'm finally pretty self-sufficient with a 10Kw battery bank and 2500 watts of solar, and it didn't cost me that much; I did it myself.

Bummed to hear about the X-Scapees snobbery, I was considering joining because they might be less stick-up-the-ass than other RV groups.

I feel caught in between these worlds...we don't have a ton of money, but got a 1995 26' Safari Trek to accommodate my two cats safely and comfortably since full-timing is going to be the only financial path forward. Until we can get on a new path career-wise and find a nice affordable chunk of land to build out on, this seems to be best. We're doing what we can to fix er up, but the paint is scratched and dented and oxidized...the rig is old and it's never gonna look great unless we spend $$$ even for a Mexican paint job, body work, etc.

We're both PCT thru-hikers (people who hike from Mexico to Canada) and used to being considered "hiker trash." We're not materialistic people. The trail community was amazing, everyone helping one another survive and thrive. Due to tragedy, illness and burn out, as well as the thru-hiking, done running the rat race and just want to survive while enjoying what remains of our lives, making fair pay doing what we love to help others and the environment.

Never RV'd before, but we certainly have been nomads in various ways. About to be thrown in the deep end, when the mechanics finish the second round of fixes on our rig. We're taking off from my Mom's house in Arizona to Washington, Oregon and California, to take care of business, pick up/dispose of possessions, get advanced suspension work done on the rig and then drop my guy back on the PCT to continue his hike this year while I trail angel and study for a new career.

I'm a bit discouraged by what I read about RV Park discrimination and worried since we're not quite up to extensive boondocking yet, but hopefully we will learn quickly and get our equipment upgraded enough to soon.

If you're a long distance hiker, you already are used to minimalist living. Living in an RV is luxurious in comparison. The trail provides and so does the road

Two bits of information...

Cheap campsites: Get hold of the book "The Wright Guide to Free & Low-Cost Campgrounds" by Don Wright. Mine was $22, but it has 864 pages. Try Abe Books, or Thrift Books online (both sites sell new and used, sometimes free shipping,).

A cheap way to paint your van: Get a gallon or two of OUTDOOR house paint, a few small brushes and a roller or two. You can have it tinted any color you like. I'll bet there are some tips on YouTube.

Have a good time!

There's a little very welcoming "maw & pop" RV park in almost every town of size all over America; that's where my cat and I stay, when not boondocking, in our old but cozy 1988 Mallard 28-foot class C. I'm an old retired fart living out my days as I see fit, and nose in the air RV'ers and they're expensive upscale RV parks turn me off. I'm finally pretty self-sufficient with a 10Kw battery bank and 2500 watts of solar, and it didn't cost me that much; I did it myself.
(Edit - whoops, my post misfired somehow!) Wow, Cajun wolf, that's an impressive solar setup! That all sounds good. Yeah, I neither have the money nor the bent to stay in fancy RV resorts. I would love to stay and Mom and Pop places, as well as boondock. I just needed to be close to some places and wasn't finding it.

If you're a long distance hiker, you already are used to minimalist living. Living in an RV is luxurious in comparison. The trail provides and so does the road
Totally. The minimalism is no problem, and I totally believe in The Trail Provides.

Mainly I'm just nervous about mastering the how-tos and logistics of RVing...they seem much more complicated than thru hiking! Things like figuring out how to have enough power for AC when we need it so that my indoor cats survive, how to use the water and sanitation systems, etc. The rig came with no manuals. I've looked up what I can. We still need someone to show us around it! Someone in Oregon has offered, but we're currently in Arizona. Hoping we figure it out along the way.

Totally. The minimalism is no problem, and I totally believe in The Trail Provides.

Mainly I'm just nervous about mastering the how-tos and logistics of RVing...they seem much more complicated than thru hiking! Things like figuring out how to have enough power for AC when we need it so that my indoor cats survive, how to use the water and sanitation systems, etc. The rig came with no manuals. I've looked up what I can. We still need someone to show us around it! Someone in Oregon has offered, but we're currently in Arizona. Hoping we figure it out along the way.
go somewhere for a weekend and i'll bet someone will be willing to tutor you on everything you have questions about. either that or find an rv repair facility to either get manuals or instructions.

re -- RecreateVehicles resort
Agreed.
Partly because I am completely utterly incapable of understanding 'games' as a pastime.
Either chinese checkers, shuffleboard, canasta, or MajorLeague® sportsball, I see zero-zero-zero value in them, nor do I gain any pleasure from spectating/participating.
For me -- the primary operator of our steering-wheel -- a remote mountain lake or isolated beach fills my needs better than a uniformed name-tagged Activities Director.
Keyword -- 'perky'...

Free national park week starts April 16th!!! I'm so excited.

As though classism is an exclusively American trait. But yeah, it's gross, in whatever form.

I'm just grateful for the fact that there are a growing number of communities here with an alternative viewpoint.

re -- RecreateVehicles resort
Agreed.
Partly because I am completely utterly incapable of understanding 'games' as a pastime.
Either chinese checkers, shuffleboard, canasta, or MajorLeague® sportsball, I see zero-zero-zero value in them, nor do I gain any pleasure from spectating/participating.
For me -- the primary operator of our steering-wheel -- a remote mountain lake or isolated beach fills my needs better than a uniformed name-tagged Activities Director.
Keyword -- 'perky'...
I'm with you; the more secluded, the better with as few people as possible, and then only like-minded folks. I could never understand these folks who save up for one of these cruses where they pack people in like sardines in a can; no freaking way!