Just Throwing This Out There for Consumption

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luciano151

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's been a while. I just got back from a three week trip to Baja. One of the reasons I'm writing is that I am, not sure if I'm going to stay a member, of Xscapers. An RV group, mainly represented by big RV rigs. I met everyone in Puerto Penasco in Mexico and had a falling out with the organizer of the convergence. I'm not going to bore anyone with the details, but suffice to say that I was on a waiting list for this trip, found out a bunch of people didn't go because of COVID, so I thought I'd just show up, pay what I needed to pay, and participate in the festivities. For some reason, the reaction of the organizer was really poor. I realized that maybe it had something to so with the fact that I'm the only one in the group who has just a plain van and not a big, expensive RV rig. I also don't fit the mold of the people in the group. I'm a bit more hippy, single, and more of a vagabond. What really got me thinking that I wasn't wanted is that the organizer told me I was not allowed to camp with the group because as he put it, "You don't even really have an RV." I wanted to punch him for being such a dick, but it was early in the morning and I hadn't even had my coffee yet.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be fun to put together a similar group. But one that isn't so elitist.. Made up of part time and full time van dwellers. Maybe something like this already exists. If so, please let me know. As I would be interested in joining up when I feel like being around people. Anyway, I love Baja and go there all the time. It's like my second home. I was thinking of organizing a trip with maybe 10 to 20 people and do some beach camping, hang out, have fun. In an atmosphere that is a bit more light, and definitely more accepting. I can't tell you what it felt like to have someone reject you like what happened to me. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, thoughts and comments are welcome.

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I just got back from a three week trip to Baja. One of the reasons I'm writing is that I am, not sure if I'm going to stay a member, of Xscapers. An RV group, mainly represented by big RV rigs. I met everyone in Puerto Penasco in Mexico and had a falling out with the organizer of the convergence. I'm not going to bore anyone with the details, but suffice to say that I was on a waiting list for this trip, found out a bunch of people didn't go because of COVID, so I thought I'd just show up, pay what I needed to pay, and participate in the festivities. For some reason, the reaction of the organizer was really poor. I realized that maybe it had something to so with the fact that I'm the only one in the group who has just a plain van and not a big, expensive RV rig. I also don't fit the mold of the people in the group. I'm a bit more hippy, single, and more of a vagabond. What really got me thinking that I wasn't wanted is that the organizer told me I was not allowed to camp with the group because as he put it, "You don't even really have an RV." I wanted to punch him for being such a dick, but it was early in the morning and I hadn't even had my coffee yet.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be fun to put together a similar group. But one that isn't so elitist.. Made up of part time and full time van dwellers. Maybe something like this already exists. If so, please let me know. As I would be interested in joining up when I feel like being around people. Anyway, I love Baja and go there all the time. It's like my second home. I was thinking of organizing a trip with maybe 10 to 20 people and do some beach camping, hang out, have fun. In an atmosphere that is a bit more light, and definitely more accepting. I can't tell you what it felt like to have someone reject you like what happened to me. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sounds like you ran into some bougie people. I think you're better off finding a different crowd to meet up with and travel with.

In case it makes you feel better ... I once went on a camping trip sponsored by a nationally known organization. I was on a tight budget. Some of the participants, including the trip leader, were obviously well-to-do -- but hey, we're all good nature-lovers together, it doesn't matter, right? LOL. On the second day it rained, so I pulled my cheap-@$s rain gear over my clothes, trying to avoid the puddles on the floor, and crawled out of my cheap-@$s tent.

The trip leader took one look at me and said, in front of everybody, "If those pants aren't GoreTex, they won't do any good -- take them off." So I stood on a rock (to try to keep out of the sticky wet sand), in front of everybody, and took them off. (Don't ask me why I didn't just say "bite me, no" -- I was younger and dumber then.)

Still had my regular pants on, so it wasn't a strip tease, but it was plenty humiliating. Lucky for me, the scenery was gorgeous, and the assistant trip leader was a lovely guy, so the pluses ended up outweighing the minuses. But even after my finances improved, I couldn't see/hear "GoreTex" without wanting to spit. nails.

The same "leader" had the people who snored (ie, would admit to snoring) pitch their tents away from everyone else, in a dry streambed. During rainy weather. Idiot could have killed someone.

So yeah, the d1cks/dick3ttes are everywhere! The only consolation I can think of is that much of this stuff, if you wait long enough, ends up seeming funny.

I imagine you would find much more kindred souls at HOWA, as rvwandering suggested. Good luck on your next adventure!

PS Anyone who loves (or is curious about) Baja, and can speak Spanish (or doesn't mind having the narration go over your head), there's a nice series of YouTube travel videos on Baja here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcWg1WeHg9uh-kx-OfqA3E4CmVWdBliBB

People can have very narrow perspectives. Sorry you had to experience it like that. Puerto Panasco? trying to remember if that is on the mainland below Arizona, or maybe on the peninsula south of San Felipe? What areas do you like to camp down there? I've only camped around Muleje further down, but am interested in exploring more areas. I'm a year away from leaving my current job and then will have lots of time, winter I imagine to explore baja. my sister and her husband have been going every year for a month or so to south of La Paz for windsurfing/ kite boarding. Sounds like a nice place to spend time in winter.

As someone who has always been an outcast, I learned at an early age not to care what others think. Someone not liking me doesn't bother me a bit. Someone not approving of my actions doesn't bother me at all. If I want to do something, or not do something, chances are that's what's going to happen unless I'm convinced otherwise.

Don't let one jerk chase you away from an organization. Not everyone in Xscapers is a pompous cretin. There are lots of well off, class A owners who care more about you personality than your rig. Some of them may enjoy living vicariously through your tales of adventure. At your next Xscapers rally, find them.

As someone who has always been an outcast, I learned at an early age not to care what others think. Someone not liking me doesn't bother me a bit. Someone not approving of my actions doesn't bother me at all. If I want to do something, or not do something, chances are that's what's going to happen unless I'm convinced otherwise.

Don't let one jerk chase you away from an organization. Not everyone in Xscapers is a pompous cretin. There are lots of well off, class A owners who care more about you personality than your rig. Some of them may enjoy living vicariously through your tales of adventure. At your next Xscapers rally, find them.
You are totally right. Pre-Covid I went to a convergence in San Felipe and had a blast and I’m still friends with a handful of the people I met there.

I would love to be part of that new group although I have a van camper and a 5er olddddd but still Just got my ins for a year and was planning to go in the next week or so

There is such a group! It’s called the Baja Tour FB group. We are reverse snobs. We don’t allow Class A’s. They don’t fit Baja village streets and we are tired of digging them out on beaches. Nothing personal! And Baja Tour is free!

There is such a group! It’s called the Baja Tour FB group. We are reverse snobs. We don’t allow Class A’s. They don’t fit Baja village streets and we are tired of digging them out on beaches. Nothing personal! And Baja Tour is free!
Hi. I did a quick search this am for the group; lot's of hits but not anything specific. Can you post a link? I have several great memories of a whale watching tour in Baja, followed by a great time on the beaches near Muleja. By the way, here's the sight that greeted me as I pulled off the highway and into the area where we were to meet for the whalewatching, and one of camping on the beach.

Attachments

• IMG_0087 (3).JPG
    IMG_0087 (3).JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0094 (3).JPG
    IMG_0094 (3).JPG
    116 KB · Views: 10
The organizer at the event you got rejected from was likely not pleased with you just showing up and would use any reason to say no. Not everyone with a Class A is a snob. Some may also camp in vans. I lived on boats most of my adult life. We had one cartoon posted at the pier where people were all eyeing the next larger boat with envy. The guy in the yacht was looking at the smallest boat through binoculars, (wishing he had smaller problems I suppose).

Many social events have gone the way of Facebook. Van aid is going on right now in Quartzite. Nomad Center Camp is a Facebook group announcing it.

The organizer at the event you got rejected from was likely not pleased with you just showing up and would use any reason to say no. Not everyone with a Class A is a snob. Some may also camp in vans. I lived on boats most of my adult life. We had one cartoon posted at the pier where people were all eyeing the next larger boat with envy. The guy in the yacht was looking at the smallest boat through binoculars, (wishing he had smaller problems I suppose).

Many social events have gone the way of Facebook. Van aid is going on right now in Quartzite. Nomad Center Camp is a Facebook group announcing it.
Yea but just think of the size of the payments on those BIG yachts!!!!!!

For what I payed for my Class C I could have bought just a Pickup and here I got a 1 ton Van when a house on the back.

.... I was thinking of organizing a trip with maybe 10 to 20 people and do some beach camping, hang out, have fun. In an atmosphere that is a bit more light, and definitely more accepting. I can't tell you what it felt like to have someone reject you like what happened to me. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd totally be interested in such a group!

For some perspective, I was recently at a KOA in Silver City NM. After ten days of boondocking I was happy to get back to civilization.

Nearby there was a big 33 foot fifth wheel behemoth. An elderly couple emerged, noticed me and went on about their business. About an hour later the husband came over, looked longingly at my simple pop up truck camper, and sighed. He told me that he used to have a similar setup. He stated that he misses, and even regretted, "upgrading" to his current situation, but that once he had crossed over to the "other side" there was no going back. (I'm paraphrasing.)

He was a sweet old fella. I think about him when I see the big rv's. I'm working on being less judgemental. There are jerks everywhere, but people are mainly good hearted souls.

The upshot is - to quote Warren Zevon - "Enjoy Every Sandwich".

Don't feel bad or by yourself on this. "They can be rude". I welcome more gatherings; I find the come as you are communities to be MUCH more sociable and non-judgmental; no matter what the rig is.

My January experience is below:

My friends and I ....Correction: They ran into my friends at I on BLM land at Quartzsite. Their Chapter leader arrived after my friends had been there a few days; and, of course my friends had set up a Campsite. Their leader tried to bully us into leaving, with statements that included: "I (he) don't understand this....because this is where we Escapees (their chapter) a-l-w-a-y-s camp"...."Oh, you guys won't be happy here because we're going to have a huge party with a Loud band*" Then in another "chat" he insulted a retired Disabled veteran and her guest. '

We, our DIY Van Builds, and Buses, did not Relocate. I'd arrived after the exchanges but the tension was still heavy in the air; and I too am a female Veteran.
* The band performed from 2pm -6pm........​

I was on another forum with a bunch of elitists, If you do none have a Class A Pusher they think you're and outcast. I quit going there.
I am an Esteemed Member of IRV2.
The posts center around leaking leveling jacks and up-grades to the entertainment center.
Our rig -- 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck we converted to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we think we have something to share.
And nobody on the forum says we are 'too outsider' for them.
Fact is, we get a lot of positive comments about our simple non-systems and our ground clearance of 16".

I am an Esteemed Member of IRV2.
The posts center around leaking leveling jacks and up-grades to the entertainment center.
Our rig -- 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck we converted to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.

And nobody on the forum says we are 'too outsider' for them.
Experience on a forum is one thing but there may be a difference when it comes to in-person organized events,etc. Just sayin'...

Welcome to "the World"..!!
(**This "hat" does'nt fits everyone)...but you've experienced "Today's type of "SEGREGATION".
If you arrive an area where there are "BigBucksRig" right then & then you are "mingling" with humans that are "financially" way "over your head" and some "Not all" feel superior. If at some point you meet them and show "wisdom & vast knowledge" in your conversations with these humans, they tend to overlook your "shown financial status by the Rig you drive"(wich may or may Not be real). They tend to Not become your "Friend". Sad...thing....very....sad.
As I said at the begining..: "This hat does'nt fit everyone." HAPPY TRAILS..!!