Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mention it but if put the cursor on a pic and click it, it will open a new window with a larger pic. highdesertranger

Anybody have any ideas for a wind deflector for the front of the box? (Wing, Formed, etc...)

Also the rectangular headlights suck for illumination. Any Ideas for Replacements?

Very nice looking rig. It even has a winch. You could probably make a vertical 90-degree  v-shaped wind deflector  out of 2x2s and plywood and attach to the box over top the cab.

QinReno said:
FWIW, one of the things I picked up recently as a result of another thread is an egg steamer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKPBSFL
Hi Q,  I'm in a <a href="https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quandary">quandary</a>.  I love the idea of the egg plus upper steam cooker.  My problem is I no longer have the luxury of a kitchen having lost out on Greybeard, and I am now stuck with outfitting Ruby.

I will pack Ruby with a favorite pan, and likely paper dishes.  Really, if I try to steam eggs by using a strainer over boiling water, I would only be able to do that outdoors because of escaping steam for appx 9 min.

My question is... How much steam escapes from your egg steamer?  If it is far less than the double-boiler type setup I tested, it may be a mandatory gizmo to pack.  Eggs are a daily necessity IMO.  Additional question, how long does the machine run cooking 6 eggs medium done?

Thanks for your help. X

HalfShadows said:
Also the rectangular headlights suck for illumination. Any Ideas for Replacements?

Hi Half, Wouldn't upgrading to LED bulbs brighten the headlamps?

max+sophia said:
Hi Q,  I'm in a <a href="https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quandary">quandary</a>.  I love the idea of the egg plus upper steam cooker.  My problem is I no longer have the luxury of a kitchen having lost out on Greybeard, and I am now stuck with outfitting Ruby.
Sophia, I am posting a followup about the egg steamer over on the previous Food section thread.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32072

I mentioned the steamer to OP, as I figured he'll have enough power in his rig to run it, and it's *SO* convenient to use. 360-watts. And no mess.

QinReno said:
Sophia, I am posting a followup about the egg steamer over on the previous Food section thread.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32072
 Thanks, I;ll go loo for it.  I will mostly have access to shore power, so running the steamer is not a problem.  I just need to know if the steam from it is less than boiling water in a covered pan,
BTW, Sophia is my baby, 5 pound YorkiePoo :D

max+sophia said:
Hi Half, Wouldn't upgrading to LED bulbs brighten the headlamps?

LED is the road I will probably go down. They sealed beam headlights right now, Sylvania makes a brighter replacement head lamp, but it's life is short.

Sorry ... Max. Just like in your signature, DUH.

QinReno said:
Very nice looking rig. It even has a winch. You could probably make a vertical 90-degree  v-shaped wind deflector  out of 2x2s and plywood and attach to the box over top the cab.

Thanks Q. I am going to keep a lookout for a scrapped or Craigslist Deflector that I can modify. Fiberglass, Steel, or Aluminum. So if you see one floating around let me know.

Cool, now that you've decided on everything, I would have put the bed across the very back, bridging across those storage lockers. Then lots of storage underneath the bed, for frig, potti, batteries, etc. My van is much smaller inside, but after I moved the bed from the side to across the back, it freed up a lot of floor space, which is a real premium once you get everything in there. You can put 4-5 solar panels on the roof, and no one would even see them.

What are those 4 "thin" metal strips coming down from the roof? Don''t look at all structural.

QinReno said:
Cool, now that you've decided on everything, I would have put the bed across the very back, bridging across those storage lockers. Then lots of storage underneath the bed, for frig, potti, batteries, etc. My van is much smaller inside, but after I moved the bed from the side to across the back, it freed up a lot of floor space, which is a real premium once you get everything in there. You can put 4-5 solar panels on the roof, and no one would even see them.

What are those 4 "thin" metal strips coming down from the roof? Don''t look at all structural.

The thin metal strips are actually not that thin, and they are structural for the shelves to hold lots of weight. Will Also help for sectioning the shelves and Installing Drop down doors on the big lower shelf for counter top food prep etc.. They left side Will house dry goods Pans etc. The cubby you see on the lower left Side will house my Camp Chef Oven. It will be on soft close Sliders. Working on that today. The cubby will also be an emergency egress. It opens to the outside by a door. I will have 1" foam insulation sealed behind the stove . All I have to do is slide the stove out and toss it aside and open the door though a small hole then kick the insulation out along with me.

HalfShadows said:
The thin metal strips are actually not that thin, and they are structural for the shelves to hold lots of weight. 
So the metal strips are actually holding the "upper" shelves? Because the lower shelves look like being the tops of the outside storage lockers.

See how it works. As soon as you show a picture, then all the gawkers come around and redesign everything for you, LOL.

Nothing is set in stone for the build. That is why I post it here for the exact reason you provided. I have considered cutting the rear supports at the lower shelf and making a full bed before. I have Grandkids that can use the disco cam bed if I redo it. I am just looking for expedient means of getting the heck outa dodge. Rearrange everything later. Everything will be easy to remove and discarded for something better. The Solar electrical bank will be the only system that will stay in place.The aft lower shelf area will accept a 58"x 83" bed east to west.

Cool zombie apocalypse rig.
Overland expedition anyone?
There'll be no racing around any curves at speed pretending to be Schumacher.

changing the headlights to LED is a bad idea IMO. for one thing is against the law and LED's are very easy for LEO's to spot so it makes for an easy excuse to pull you over. plus the quality is all over the place, I have never heard of a reliable company for LED's

what most people do with older Chevy's for the headlights is to rewire the headlight system. this is a straight forward modification an makes a huge difference in brightness. several companies make kits to do this.

at the moment I run the Sylvania Super Bright's and I don't notice a shorten life span. I have a set of Cibie lenses that that take replaceable H-4 bulbs that I will be installing, also illegal but a lot harder to tell.

IMO that's the best you can do, the wire upgrade and the Cibie's. BTW other lenses including Hella and cheap knock offs don't compare to Cibie's. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

1/2 - I hope you kept your aviation jacket. You should wear it while driving that apocalypse rig. Very cool.