Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will appreciate having the rear view camera when driving in city traffic and on the freeway. Sounds like you can backup a few feet from the garage and put up a tarp.

Darn had to take Snow Bunny to the shop. I could not Identify the drag link to save my soul. I found a reputable shop that has experience in these custom builds. They were a little perplexed at first but finally Identified the P/N. The front end is equipped with various HD parts from different models to achieve maximum effectiveness. I was also informed to lube the front end at and inbetween oil changes because of the load placed on it. Previous owner must have skipped a few. Was planning on carrying a grease gun with me anyways.

Not knowing it by name, but it's obvious what it does. The one on my RC car looks almost identical. 
https://www.marks4wd.com/media/wysiwyg/Diagram-web_1.jpg

The shop can probably figure out if you need any other front-end stuff replaced. Lots of fun stuff on the front end. Stabilizer bars and dampers. Does SBunny have separate springs and shocks? Newer autos use McPherson struts and they cost a fortune to replace.

The diagram is correct Q. The only thing different is the Steering gear box is just forward of the left side. The drag link goes north to south to the gear box. I inspected every thing else and it is solid , just found the drag link tapers shot from the lack of servicing. It is Independent Suspension with a massive leaf spring build and shocks. Has a Dana 60 Transfer case. Also has lock out hubs for the 4 wheel drive.I need lots of weight to smooth out the ride. I will be accommodating the weight issue with large fresh water tank , tools, fridges etc. It rides fairly smooth without the weight except between 40-60 MPH. above 60-80 it smooths out again. I am going to measure fuel mileage in 5MPH increments starting at 60 MPH to 75 MPH once I am on the road. @ 70 MPH The engine does not struggle whatsoever. Not winding out at all.

There is no ventilation in the box. The box has 4- 6"x 32" windows 2 on each side.  You have to have a ladder  to peer in. About 8 feet off the ground. I am installing a manual max air fan on one of the barn doors. Been researching ventilation options. I have found 6"x14" pop up vents that I will probably install on upper forward side of the box. The box cants inwards form midline to the roof on each side. The inside, on each side has three shelves that looses depth on each tier. The shelves are the full length of the box 114". Lots of storage :D

Electrical. The right forward passenger side shelf will house the electrical components inverter, converter, MPPT, batteries...etc. I am thinking of installing 4 -110 outlets 2 each side. The 2 fridges will be in line just behind the drivers seat on the floor of the box and butt up against the left wheel well. They are only 14"wide x27"long so it will give walk through room.

Had a 10$ off certificate from Kohl's laying around. Went to Kohl's and bought 2 Total Blackout drapes for the cockpit to cabin pass through. They were on the clearance rack for 14.99 each regular price 84.95. Charcoal Gray with a black rorschach pattern. The check out lady freaked out at the purchase. I told her there was one left. It was a online return to the store so not all of the employees new of them. She reminded me of the Target Lady on SNL. She gave me another $10 off certificate :D

QinReno said:
100 gal of water is 800-pounds, and 30-gal is 240-pounds. I wonder about that amount of weight sloshing around when driving on a wet or snowy road, but I suppose people do it all the time in their regular RVs. Plus whatever is in the grey and black water tanks.
My buddy is a carpet cleaner in MinneSNOWta and he has a 100 gallon water tank standing upright on one side of his van and the dirty water tank on the other side of his 1998 Chevy Express 2500 van.  He doesn't have any problems in the winter but he said it's common sense to take it easy, especially on circle highway exits, and give yourself plenty of space between you and the next vehicle.  Personally, I like the idea of a 50 gallon tank.

we need pics of this rig. couple of points,

a Dana 60 is a front axle not a transfer case
a Dana 60 is a solid front axle not independent
to have 30 inches of ground clearance your tires would have to be 70 inches tall
the taper of the drag link can be rereamed.
does this vehicle have a pick up front end or a van?

we need pics. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
we need pics of this rig.  highdesertranger

Tried but keep getting a no go message that the resolution or some crap is too big.

Jack said:
My buddy is a carpet cleaner in MinneSNOWta and he has a 100 gallon water tank standing upright on one side of his van and the dirty water tank on the other side of his 1998 Chevy Express 2500 van.  He doesn't have any problems in the winter but he said it's common sense to take it easy, especially on circle highway exits, and give yourself plenty of space between you and the next vehicle.  Personally, I like the idea of a 50 gallon tank.

Would never ever place that much weight up right in a vehicle. Will keep it low center of gravity.

highdesertranger said:
we need pics of this rig.  couple of points,

a Dana 60 is a front axle not a transfer case
a Dana 60 is a solid front axle not independent
to have 30 inches of ground clearance your tires would have to be 70 inches tall
the taper of the drag link can be rereamed.
does this vehicle have a pick up front end or a van?

we need pics.  highdesertranger
I knew that would get your attention HDR. LOL. The clearance of the chassis frame and body is 30" The Front and rear axles are somewhat lower.

It has a van front end, however it is hinged firewall forward.

Jack said:
 he has a 100 gallon water tank standing upright on one side of his van and the dirty water tank on the other side of his 1998 Chevy Express 2500 van.  He doesn't have any problems in the winter but he said it's common sense to take it easy, especially on circle highway exits, and give yourself plenty of space between you and the next vehicle. 
"... standing upright ...". Sheesh, 200 gallons of water is 1600 pounds, huge size, and top heavy. How is there room for anything else in the van. (taps fingers on head).

HalfShadows, I could step you thru the easy way to resize pics, but for now, if you like, you can send a few pics to my email address and I can resize them for you, and send them back to you, or post them for you here in this thread.

Send me a PM and I will send you my email address.

No spam, I promise.

Got my 2 Costway fridges today. experimenting with them in the house. They both did wonderful from 70 degrees to 32 degrees in  35 minutes. Now I set one for -7 degrees and placed an ice tray in it.

I go to Portland hopefully mid next week and do the solar thing. After I get my solar in Portland I come back home and get the house ready to close up, Load Snow Bunny and hit the road. Need to go to North Dakota then Minnesota before it gets too cold. After that I head south. The rest of the build I can do down south. The rains came early this year in WA. I want to take my time on the rest of the build.

here's some pic's of the van,

20180905_150836 - Copy.jpg

20180905_150228 - Copy.jpg

20180905_150136 - Copy.jpg

20180905_144527 - Copy.jpg

unique for sure.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 20180905_150836 - Copy.jpg
    20180905_150836 - Copy.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180905_150228 - Copy.jpg
    20180905_150228 - Copy.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180905_150136 - Copy.jpg
    20180905_150136 - Copy.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180905_144527 - Copy.jpg
    20180905_144527 - Copy.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 35
Thank you HDR for posting these Pic's for me. These are Pic's from when I first brought it home and a couple of days after. I am 6' tall and the top of my head is level with the bottom of the Passenger window. Just to give a perspective. The rear step is hitch mounted and will be replaced with a hitch mounted spare. Those are the old wheels and tires, the new tires are 2" wider.