Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no Reno that wasn't me I was a little north of there in Mohave Valley pouring a 18x40ft concrete slab. for working on vehicles.

there is not much to see when you pop in a dutch oven because the lid is on. in fact you have to get your ear real close because it's hard to even hear it pop. highdesertranger

Last time I used a dutch oven I was cooking a roast. Left camp and hiked up a nearby mountain was dogging waist high brush and Jumped a nice mule deer. The buck eluded me and went down the mountain to the logging road where road hunters were watching me. A dad his daughter and son. They got the buck. The dad must have weighed 380+ and the son and daughter not much less. I guess that is the only way people like that can hunt. They were smiling as I walked past them, like they found an overturned Hostess truck. Got back to camp and checked on the roast. Somebody had opened the lid and dumped dirt and ashes in it. Not a good day. Haven't cooked with a dutch oven since.

highdesertranger said:
there is not much to see when you pop in a dutch oven because the lid is on.  in fact you have to get your ear real close because it's hard to even hear it pop.  highdesertranger

Have you ever had peach cobbler in a Dutch Oven? Nothing in this world is better. I have high hopes for DO popcorn, now...
I might even buy a DO.

I apologize what for what I said about the obese family it was very shallow of me. Sometimes I have to check my anger before I speak.

HalfShadows said:
I apologize what for what I said about the obese family it was very shallow of me. Sometimes I have to check my anger before I speak.

Yeah, but.....I'm still LOL at the comment of the overturned Hostess truck. Sometimes words just pop out. You did ask forgiveness though.

I had a heater core issue in my 93 Chev. van. Ridiculous what has to be done to change out something that "could" be so simple.

Yeah, such a bad bad boy. You should have left out the part about the Hostess truck. It's always the little bits you toss in **to be funny** that come back to bite you in the ass.

QinReno said:
 It's always the little bits you toss in **to be funny** that come back to bite you in the ass.

If I had a nickel.......Oh, I'd have so many nickels.  :D

Today I will install the fridges. Will run wiring from the converter fuse box to the fridges. But before I do this, I must clean up all the swarf from the bed frame installation and scrub the floor. Nothing more irritating than bits of metal in your fingers. Next I will install the propane tank. After this all I have to do is install a new license plate light, do some more clean up. Then it will be time to pack and load everything in SB and hit the road. (Provided there is no distractions). Goal now is Saturday morning.

I think I will mosey my way down to the van build in Parker. Suppose to start Nov. 7.  Can probably get some ideas for finishing my build. Thinking of taking 90 to 82 to 84 to 93 and 95 from Vegas.

Ah, 1/2 is heading south. Liv is counting her virtual nickels.

This is a little OT, but I've been reading a book about the greatest flood in "geological" history - ie, that the geologists have found evidence for. The area in s.e. WA state is amazing, Grand Coulee, channeled scablands, &etc. I visited Palouse Falls on my MT trip during the summer of 2017. Incredible pictures of people harvesting wheat on the steep Palouse hillsides, trying not to roll their combines. Incredible place.
- https://www.amazon.com/Bretzs-Flood-Remarkable-Geologist-Greatest/dp/1570616310
- https://www.google.com/search?q=palouse+falls&tbm=isch&source=iu
https://www.google.com/search?q=channeled+scablands&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

- http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ls1pYwPiO...st+near+Rulo,+from+Les+Johnson+6-2010+(2).JPG
- https://www.google.com/search?q=sky+rockets+prescott+wa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.google.com/maps/search/...1,823a,35y,33.3h,73.29t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

That trip to MT was a major factor in my getting the van 2 months later. I did some camping, but stayed a lot in motels due to being in grizzly country so much of the time. The motels added up to a lot of money on that trip, and hardly worth the cost. Next summer I plan to return to MT in the van.

when in Vegas take 95 south it's a much faster route 95 south to Needles then CA 95 to the 62 and the 62 to parker. much less traffic and you bypass all the signals in Lake Havasu. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
when in Vegas take 95 south it's a much faster route  95 south to Needles then CA 95 to the 62 and the 62 to parker.  much less traffic and you bypass all the signals in Lake Havasu.   highdesertranger
Thanks HDR

The van build starts the 7th so if I leave Saturday I will have a lot of time to kill before the 7th. Hmmm, maybe I will search for the ultimate taco. Did I tell you I love Taco's. Used to have taco bar every weekend. But that has been weigh laid. I make a mean fajita.

HalfShadows said:
The van build starts the 7th so if I leave Saturday I will have a lot of time to kill before the 7th. Hmmm, maybe I will search for the ultimate taco. Did I tell you I love Taco's. Used to have taco bar every weekend. But that has been weigh laid. I make a mean fajita.
Another addition for The Shadow General Merchandise Company. Nothing like a cooked fajita pepper. Get a cappucino machine, some small tables to set outside when in the boonies, and people can eat, drink, and read books from the lending library, all in one place ... in the desert, out in the middle of nowheres.

Part of the reason for me posting that bit about the channeled scablands is that, an alternate route to I-84 would be east on I-90 to the Columbia River, then south from there. I've put this area on my stay-over Visit List, hopefully next summer. Unique geology to the entire world, and which few people know anything about.

QinReno said:
Another addition for The Shadow General Merchandise Company. Nothing like a cooked fajita pepper. Get a cappucino machine, some small tables to set outside when in the boonies, and people can eat, drink, and read books from the lending library, all in one place ... in the desert, out in the middle of nowheres.

Part of the reason for me posting that bit about the channeled scablands is that, an alternate route to I-84 would be east on I-90 to the Columbia River, then south from there. I've put this area on my stay-over Visit List, hopefully next summer. Unique geology to the entire world, and which few people know anything about.
Will heavily consider that route. Perhaps an awning as well, Quasi-Bistro.

LivGolden said:
Have you ever had peach cobbler in a Dutch Oven? Nothing in this world is better. I have high hopes for DO popcorn, now...
I might even buy a DO.
Liv, I still have that old dutch oven if you want it. Was going to clean out the garage this spring and get rid of things to sell the house. It needs re-seasoned,you are more than welcome to it.

Thank you, 1/2- that's very nice of you. I'm pretty intrigued with them, just now. There are DO cooking groups. They get together and feed people. I like that.

I like it when I camp and someone invites me over for coffee. Maybe I can do that with popcorn.