Fiberglass shell Van conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmic_Trekker

Reaction score
I've been looking at a FedEx Van to convert into a camper. It has a fiberglass shell,  am I able to convert this? I'm assuming I'll have to build support beams inside somehow if possible. Any thoughts or advice?

yes you can,what i am doing with my fiberglass walls is glueing 1x6 to the wall so you can screw and glue plywood to

Gary68 said:
yes you can,what i am doing with my fiberglass walls is glueing 1x6 to the wall so you can screw and glue plywood to

Haha, genius! The truck will be vibrating and moving around a bit, do you think that will compromise the glue at all?

That looks like a great platform. 2500? Does it have a passthrough? Looks like its extended with a high roof. What are the interior dimensions?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Vans from big corporations like FedEx get filled to the brim every morning and run hard all day long.

Have a trusted mechanic look it over before buying. Odd that FedEx is letting a "good" van go. Prolly a reason?

Sikaflex is good.

There would've been shelves in the original vehicle with a not insubstantial load design. Find that design number if you are over a couple hundred pounds per side.

Fed Ex Ground is contract and the vehicles are driver owned. They are run hard. Maintenance can vary. Maintenance records would be a must for me.

Fiberglass does not conduct electricity so any device attached will need it's own return or ground wire. As far as attaching wood to fiberglass, boat building books will have your solution. Most often the wood is held in place by placing a layer of fiberglass over the wood.

It would make for a very cool looking rig with plenty of room. I can only imagine that FedEx puts a ton of tough miles on their trucks before letting them go though. Cotton

Load is presumably transferred to the floor. I would thru bolt as well or cross between ac across the width of the vehicle. Glue in combination with mechanical helps with vibration.

I 2nd or 3rd the question of WHY would they be selling a good/functional rig?
I've worked as a loader for FxG. and have seen how much they can pack into a truck. Lots of under-load stop and go, 'keep it running' maintenance.. and about half the time the rigs are contractor vehicles. One person owns 2-10 trucks and hires drivers.. aka "not my car, don't care."
Have a mechanic (not the dealer's mechanic!!) go over that thing with a critical eye.

Who is the manufacturer of the fiberglass van body. It makes for a nice looking unit. I know of a low mileage van chassis that's currently sitting in a machine shed with out a box on it. Now if I could find a van body like that one to go with it. I might be looking at my next project.

QGM

how much they asking for it? gonna be alota work gettin those graphics off.

Caretaker there is a rubber wheel thingamabob that you can attach to a drill that pulls graphics right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C, no kidding, I've never heard of something like that. I'm trying to think of where you could post an FYI for the tribe. a couple of times a year we have people who regale us with their adventures removing graphics. i wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I looked it up. It's called an eraser wheel. That's a little better than my usual thingamabob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk