Faking Service Dogs Hurt Real SD Teams(The Law)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy to see dogs everywhere, and for folks to be less uptight about the issue. We end up creating entire "systems" to manage a non-existent problem, then getting bent out of shape when people circumvent the system. But I spent my childhood in Italy where dogs just hung out with their people and no one cared, so I have a different world view. I also don't equate nudity with sexuality, another "raised in Europe" view. But I digress.

DannyB1954 said:
I would like to see a name put onto those blue parking passes. Then LE could site those kids using grandpa's car to park in handicap spaces. As it is now, LE can not ask for proof of a handicap.

I don't know about other states, but in WA when I received my renewed placards then I also received an ID wallet card with them, and instructions to carry it with me at all times. Anyone with any kind of parking authority, be it LEO or the business I've parked at or whatever, can request to see the card. It has on it my full name, birth date, expiration of the current privileges as well as the numbers of both placards assigned. This proves the placards were assigned to me specifically. I wouldn't hesitate to show it to anyone who kindly inquires.

gcal said:
Danny, the dog needs to be certified, too. It needs to be tested for temperment and proper training. It needs not only to perform its task, but to ignore people and other dogs, to be clean, to be calm and well behaved in public areas, and to be in good health.

I don't know of any certification program for dogs in general. The companies that train dogs may have their own certificates, but that is just a paper written by them, not a State agency. 

My dog knows the names of her toys. I could train her to bring me other things as well. Neither of us would be certified. Who certifies the certifiers? Having a service dog is more about what the person needs, not what the dog can do. People with PTSD is an example.

Bitty said:
I don't know about other states, but in WA when I received my renewed placards then I also received an ID wallet card with them, and instructions to carry it with me at all times. Anyone with any kind of parking authority, be it LEO or the business I've parked at or whatever, can request to see the card. It has on it my full name, birth date, expiration of the current privileges as well as the numbers of both placards assigned. This proves the placards were assigned to me specifically. I wouldn't hesitate to show it to anyone who kindly inquires.

I guess some states are getting smarter. Legally they are not asking for proof of a handicap they are requiring you to carry proof that the permit was issued to you.

In Texas,or at least Tarrant County, they put the last 4 digits of my drivers license on the placard. If I have my trusty scooter with me I can park out in the lot and leave the Handicapped spots for those that need them that day and just motor myself to the store.

DannyB1954 said:
I don't know of any certification program for dogs in general. The companies that train dogs may have their own certificates, but that is just a paper written by them, not a State agency. 

My dog knows the names of her toys. I could train her to bring me other things as well. Neither of us would be certified. Who certifies the certifiers? Having a service dog is more about what the person needs, not what the dog can do. People with PTSD is an example.

At this time, there are no legal real certification requirements. I meant that there should be. If people are going to bring dogs into areas where dogs are normally not allowed and impose those dogs on everybody else, there is a responsibility to see that the dogs are clean and healthy (potty trained, not stinking, no fleas or contagious diseases for other people to take home to their own pets) and impeccably well-behaved in public (no approaching other people or barking or wandering around or aggression towards other dogs, on the floor and not riding in food carts or sitting on furniture), and NO EXCUSES. Dogs ae excluded from many areas for a reason. Most of us are perfectly willing to have exceptions made when there is a real need. But being disabled does not give anyone a right to impose a disruptive nuisance on everyone else and there is no reason for those being imposed upon this way to be willing to tolerate it. Nor should people who have no legitimate need be allowed to get away with imposing on others just because they can get away with it.

I'm deleting posts in this thread, let's dial it back--if you can't say something helpful, don't say anything at all.
Bob

Not sure whether to post this here, but I think it fits.
A couple of weeks ago, my sister in law was shooting her mouth off. She has this little yappy, hyper, disruptive Morkie. She was stating that she is going to start using it as a service dog to help calm her anxiety. She feels she should be able to take this dog into restaurants on planes etc..It would be barking its brains out at everyone. Maybe I am wrong, but the only anxiety she has she brings on herself. Her poor husband should be the one with anxiety....lol
Just my opinion, but these are the types of people that spoil these programs for everyone else

Manners aren't taught in every home, and they aren't taught at school. So where are people supposed to learn them???

What is the difference between a "fake" service dog and a "real" service dog? If not certification, then what? Thanks.

Training.

A real service dog will not bark unless there is danger.  It does not whine or beg.  it actually works as a team with its person, and not as a pet.  That takes months of training.

I'm guessing this may 'qualify' as a service animal.

2E4F5B2B00000578-3312348-image-a-6_1447178701269.jpg

151104_wn_muir_16x9_992.jpg

bella_and_george_2_306f69efb85929496acdfc9a35a4e632.today-inline-large.jpg

I may be wrong, could just be a very well thought out scam. Detect sarcasm.

Attachments

• 2E4F5B2B00000578-3312348-image-a-6_1447178701269.jpg
    2E4F5B2B00000578-3312348-image-a-6_1447178701269.jpg
    104.3 KB
  • 151104_wn_muir_16x9_992.jpg
    151104_wn_muir_16x9_992.jpg
    79.3 KB
  • bella_and_george_2_306f69efb85929496acdfc9a35a4e632.today-inline-large.jpg
    bella_and_george_2_306f69efb85929496acdfc9a35a4e632.today-inline-large.jpg
    56.2 KB
GotSmart said:
Training.

A real service dog will not bark unless there is danger.  It does not whine or beg.  it actually works as a team with its person, and not as a pet.  That takes months of training.

So if a dog doesn't bark, bite, whine, beg and the owner states it has had months of training, then it's a real service dog as opposed to a fake service dog. Seems a bit subjective. So....why don't we(they) have some kind of standard certification to make it a bit more objective? Seems like this could rectify most of OP and others problems with what is real and what is fake when it comes to service dogs.

Gunny said:
I'm guessing this may 'qualify' as a service animal...

...I may be wrong, could just be a very well thought out scam. Detect sarcasm.

Guess all ya want Gunny! With a recognized certification, you wouldn't have to guess and neither would anyone else!

Apologies to anyone else who was offended also. The question about certification was sincere and genuine. Stepping off this thread now.

Besides a dog's basic obedience being bullet proof, it must be trained for at least two tasks that aid, specifically, it's handler's disability.

For instance, Stumpy was trained to alert me to a panic attack/blackout (before it occurred) and to get my meds and phone. she was trained for more than that but those two tasks were specific to my condition.

Stumpy is retired, now. I haven't blacked out in many years and I've been off those meds for many years. In spite of her stellar obedience training and previous service she is no longer allowed to accompany in stores, resturants and other places where pets aren't welcome.

Cry said:
Guess all ya want Gunny! With a recognized certification, you wouldn't have to guess and neither would anyone else!

Heavy use of those exclamation marks. 

Before you make some asinine comment check the facts. The little girl in the pictures and the dog spent months training to work together after the dog had already been trained. 

I will be polite and not get tacky with you, just put you on ignore but leave my name or handle out of your responses.

I already asked once to keep it civil, I will not ask again. any more snarky posts will be deleted. come on people keep it polite and on subject. this was not aimed at you Gunny or Cyndi. highdesertranger

Gunny said:
I'm guessing this may 'qualify' as a service animal.
Gunny? Do you know if the Dane is out of Ipswich, MA? My nephew used to walk dogs for The Service Dog Project. They breed, raise and train great Danes, specifically for those wih mobility challenges.
http://www.servicedogproject.org/
OH! I see Bella and George on their web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts