Dog breed ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standard poodles can be incredible dogs, more protective than people realize but the make good judgment calls. Seizures are not uncommon in some bloodlines, good luck getting a breeded to admit a fault in their lines.In general healthy and sane. They fit themselves well into the lifestyle you lead. Coat is to much for me to deal with, especially on the road. I lost mine to old age.. I can say as far as training goes, you can get away with doing little and have a well behaved standard, not that I'm advocating that. They are just easy and intuitive. I have known several over the years.

I wouldn't even think in terms of breed - I'd go on the personality of the individual. Maybe size would be a factor, but if you think in terms of breed , you'll be sorry. Individuals of every breed can be awesome or they can be loaded with issues . I have fostered dozens in my life, and that's what I found. If you go to the shelter with a poodle in mind, you're going to be so happy you found one that you won't be focusing on his personality. Go with an open mind .

Even 6 months ago I never would have thought I'd adopt a dog with pit bull in him, but thank goodness I did. This old fellow is a dream dog in every way . It's as though we've been living together for years. I just KNOW you'd like to see a pic - happy to oblige.

Attachments

• Todd.jpg
    Todd.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
awww
You can SEE the sweet in his face
Pits are really loving dogs generally, they get a bad rap because people TRAIN them to be mean
Of course you are right about individualism, every dog is different

I own a 80 LBS Labrador Retriever, He is a working dog, very loyal and calm.  Below is a picture of him at El Yunque National Rainforest in Puerto Rico.  We spend the winters there.

Attachments

• 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
ArtW said:
awww
You can SEE the sweet in his face
Pits are really loving dogs generally, they get a bad rap because people TRAIN them to be mean
Of course you are right about individualism, every dog is different

Funny thing happened yesterday. Animal Control was in the neighborhood for another issue and it was the same officer who had picked up Todd as a stray in a neighboring city (when he was a ghetto dog). Todd always loves to meet everyone, but I'm positive he recognized the dog officer because he was ecstatic to see him. Kind of made my day to meet the guy who was responsible for saving him from a pretty miserable place and of course , I never would have had the chance to find him either.

arctic cat said:
I own a 80 LBS Labrador Retriever, He is a working dog, very loyal and calm.  Below is a picture of him at El Yunque National Rainforest in Puerto Rico.  We spend the winters there.

Nice and lean and agile looking , and that jungle setting looks incredible

There is a Facebook group called: service dogs for invisible disabilities. They have over 10,000 members, mostly in the USA.
If you post your questions/needs there, you might find your perfect SD in Vancouver.

Beginning to think the best breed of dog is None. The never ending battle with fleas and ticks in a small space is getting old. Can't give him oral meds. He throws up and you never know how much actually got into his system. He has the monthly fur drops and gets regular medicated baths and daily body checks. He has a flea collar, for all the good it does. The carpets get vacuumed and the bedding washed about once a week. DH sprays everything about once a month. I have, much to his chagrin, stopped taking him for romps in the woods and fields. But we still get bitten and we can't keep damned dog out of our bed without caging him. Don't want him bitten, either. When he goes, no more.

See I'm open to going the shelter or the breeder route. I keep an eye out at our local shelters, but no one really works with the dogs enough to answer my questions. Also they behave much differently than they would at home. And I've had previous issues with local shelters and have been told point blank any adoption applications I put in WILL be denied. Back in January I had to back out of an adoption (very LONG story. I was basically forced into it by the person I was living with and I moved and was no longer able to have a dog) and I've asked if I live in a mobile home would they adopt to me, and they also do house checks. I've decided to get my van in October and spend the winter months renovating it. It'll give me a chance to get some money saved (I'm a part time barista at starbucks) and I'll be back from South America. I'm doing a simple build out in an Astro van. Bed, galley kitchen, installing some fans and some basic solar. Once I get the bed/kitchen built I'll be living in the van and finishing it up. I'm planning on finding some shelters to check out on the route up to Vancouver.

For now I'm contacting a couple breeders I liked. With decent breeders they breed for temperament so it's different than if I got a backyard bred poodle at the shelter.

So I guess when I look at breeders I'm looking for a specific breed, and when I look at shelters I'm looking at the dog

But also this won't be just a pet but a service dog, so there are certain traits the dog MUST have. Such as they need to be a certain size for tasks, can't be over 3 years old, can't be fearful or shy etc.

Kitt said:
See I'm open to going the shelter or the breeder route. I keep an eye out at our local shelters, but no one really works with the dogs enough to answer my questions. Also they behave much differently than they would at home. And I've had previous issues with local shelters and have been told point blank any adoption applications I put in WILL be denied. Back in January I had to back out of an adoption (very LONG story. I was basically forced into it by the person I was living with and I moved and was no longer able to have a dog) and I've asked if I live in a mobile home would they adopt to me, and they also do house checks. I've decided to get my van in October and spend the winter months renovating it. It'll give me a chance to get some money saved (I'm a part time barista at starbucks) and I'll be back from South America. I'm doing a simple build out in an Astro van. Bed, galley kitchen, installing some fans and some basic solar. Once I get the bed/kitchen built I'll be living in the van and finishing it up. I'm planning on finding some shelters to check out on the route up to Vancouver.

For now I'm contacting a couple breeders I liked. With decent breeders they breed for temperament so it's different than if I got a backyard bred poodle at the shelter.

So I guess when I look at breeders I'm looking for a specific breed, and when I look at shelters I'm looking at the dog

But also this won't be just a pet but a service dog, so there are certain traits the dog MUST have. Such as they need to be a certain size for tasks, can't be over 3 years old, can't be fearful or shy etc.
Kitt, I'm sorry to sound critical, but are you able to train a dog ? Seems that someone with training experience would already know a lot about dog breeds . Regardless of the traits of a breed, experience is required to get the results you're looking for - dogs don't automatically understand 'tasks'. Plus, if you are looking to breeders for an adult , you might find an adult with issues. Breeders deal in puppies - they only keep adults for breeding.
Personally I believe dogs are the best companions you can have. Unless you are experienced with working dogs thinking of them strictly in terms of the 'tasks ' they can do for you will lead to both of you being miserable. Most shelter dogs got there via owners who didn't know what they were getting into.

gcal said:
Beginning to think the best breed of dog is None. The never ending battle with fleas and ticks in a small space is getting old. Can't give him oral meds. He throws up and you never know how much actually got into his system. He has the monthly fur drops and gets regular medicated baths and daily body checks. He has a flea collar, for all the good it does. The carpets get vacuumed  and the bedding washed about once a week. DH sprays everything about once a month. I have, much to his chagrin, stopped taking him for romps in the woods and fields. But we still get bitten and we can't keep damned dog out of our bed without caging him. Don't want him bitten, either. When he goes, no more.

Idk if you've tried this but baths with dawn dish soap kill fleas really well. Sprinkle salt on the floors and bedding and stuff and spray with lavender and tea tree oil diluted with water then put the bedding outside to air. For the pup aloe vera juice, tea tree oil, and Braggs apple cider vinegar dulled with water in a spray bottle will 1. Help keep fleas away and 2. Aloe vera will help with skin dryness becauseof the dawn dish soap. Spray him down twice a day, more if necessary, and a good spray and brush before he gets back in the van after romping in the woods. Also coconut oil in his food will help keep his skin and coat healthy because the dawn dish soap is really drying.

My dog has severe flea allergies and we live in an area with a LOT of fleas, including those annoying sand fleas. And you have to bath him every two weeks without fail. Because any eggs that were laid will hatch in about a week or two.

These are just tricks that have helped us control our dogs fleas. She's a 10 year old lab and is technically my mom's dog. She stays when I leave. We also give her nexguard flea things. They are like treats, but you said you have issues with oral medications.

I'll also ask my friend. She's developed her own line of natural organic horse products like salves and fly sprays.

IanC said:
Kitt, I'm sorry to sound critical, but are you able to train a dog ? Seems that someone with training experience would already know a lot about dog breeds . Regardless of the traits of a breed, experience is required to get the results you're looking for - dogs don't automatically understand 'tasks'. Plus, if you are looking to breeders for an adult , you might find an adult with issues. Breeders deal in puppies - they only keep adults for breeding.
Personally I believe dogs are the best companions you can have. Unless you are experienced with working dogs thinking of them strictly in terms of the 'tasks ' they can do for you will lead to both of you being miserable. Most shelter dogs got there via owners who didn't know what they were getting into.

*sigh* I am more than capable of training a dog. My stepmom is a professional service dog trainer and I grew up helping her train dogs for service work. She's also a professional groomer and runs her own business. To this day (I'm 20) I still help her groom dogs. I've had 10 years of experience. She got her dog Inki 11 years ago and I helped train and watched her closely. I took over most of the training for our lab, who is also 10 years old. Just because I'm not knowledgeable about dog breeds does NOT speak to my ability as a trainer. I am by no means a professional nor do I claim to be. I know how to train the tasks I require.

Once again I am looking for a service dog. Not for laughs but because I REQUIRE one because I am DISABLED.

I am blessed in that I don't need to train for mobility or retrieving tasks. The tasks I need are very simple to train.

I've looked into the dog breeds I wanted that were suitable for service work. I was posting here to get another perspective. I've talked to numerous SD teams who's SD were breeds I was interested in.

I wanted a perspective from vandwellers since that also affects my decision.

And not once did I say I was going to a breeder for an adult dog. If I buy from a breeder I will be purchasing a puppy. Might be a lot more time consuming and difficult but I also won't have to deal with the dog having an unknown background.

A service dog is NOT a pet. And as such I cannot look for a SD the same as I would a pet.

I need to have an idea of what I want/need and base my choice from there. A Yorkie may be good for a van because if their small size but would not be suitable for the tasks I need.

We've owned 2 poodles and a golden doodle. My stepmom bred her poodle once then retired her.

With my actual mom we have owned a chihuahua, a black lab, an American staffie we rescued off the street. And our current dog a lab/bully mix we got from the swap meet. Best dog I've ever had was her and our amstaff.

And once I'm settled in Vancouver I'm not going to be training all on my own. I'm going to enroll in puppy obedience classes and also seek the advice of a professional trainer.

I know what I'm getting into and any dog I get that I have to wash out won't EVER end up in the shelter. If there is absolutely no other choice but to wash them, I will keep them as long as it takes to properly rehome them.

Teskimo said:
There is a Facebook group called: service dogs for invisible disabilities. They have over 10,000 members, mostly in the USA.
If you post your questions/needs there, you might find your perfect SD in Vancouver.

Thanks! I'll check it out! I follow a TON of SD teams on instagram and tumblr but I haven't found a Facebook group I've really liked

Kitt said:
*sigh* I am more than capable of training a dog. My stepmom is a professional service dog trainer and I grew up helping her train dogs for service work. She's also a professional groomer and runs her own business. To this day (I'm 20) I still help her groom dogs. I've had 10 years of experience. She got her dog Inki 11 years ago and I helped train and watched her closely. I took over most of the training for our lab, who is also 10 years old. Just because I'm not knowledgeable about dog breeds does NOT speak to my ability as a trainer. I am by no means a professional nor do I claim to be. I know how to train the tasks I require.

Once again I am looking for a service dog. Not for laughs but because I REQUIRE one because I am DISABLED.

I am blessed in that I don't need to train for mobility or retrieving tasks. The tasks I need are very simple to train.

I've looked into the dog breeds I wanted that were suitable for service work. I was posting here to get another perspective. I've talked to numerous SD teams who's SD were breeds I was interested in.

I wanted a perspective from vandwellers since that also affects my decision.

And not once did I say I was going to a breeder for an adult dog. If I buy from a breeder I will be purchasing a puppy. Might be a lot more time consuming and difficult but I also won't have to deal with the dog having an unknown background.

A service dog is NOT a pet. And as such I cannot look for a SD the same as I would a pet.

I need to have an idea of what I want/need and base my choice from there. A Yorkie may be good for a van because if their small size but would not be suitable for the tasks I need.

We've owned 2 poodles and a golden doodle. My stepmom bred her poodle once then retired her.

With my actual mom we have owned a chihuahua, a black lab, an American staffie we rescued off the street. And our current dog a lab/bully mix we got from the swap meet. Best dog I've ever had was her and our amstaff.

And once I'm settled in Vancouver I'm not going to be training all on my own. I'm going to enroll in puppy obedience classes and also seek the advice of a professional trainer.

I know what I'm getting into and any dog I get that I have to wash out won't EVER end up in the shelter. If there is absolutely no other choice but to wash them, I will keep them as long as it takes to properly rehome them.

What do you need the dog to do?

Kitt said:
Hey yall! My second time posting here. Tahoe living didn't quite work out. I didn't have enough of am income to make it work. But now I'm back and more determined than ever! I'm going the van route, and I'm working at starbucks part time. Working 4 hour days 3 or 4 times a week if I'm lucky. I'm heading to Ecuador in July for about a month. Trying to get my GPA up to get financial aid. If all goes well me working and saving a bit of money and getting financial aid I'll be able to come up with about $3,000 by next year. Sell my car for another $3,000. Have plenty to buy a van (I'm looking at a passenger van, about 4k here) and remodel it.

But now to my question. I'm in need of a psychiatric service dog. Kind of stumped on breeds that would also be suitable for van living. I will most likely get the dog a few months before I fully transfer to van living, since when I do I'm transferring up to Washington. Thinking about Vancouver.

I need a large breed. Or medium to large I guess. I like my dogs on the bigger side. Will be used to alert to anxiety or panic attacks, deep pressure therapy, block and cover (when I'm in a store either lay behind me or in front of me) and alert me to people coming behind me, as well as keeping people away from me, guiding me to an exit or quiet place during an attack or dissociative episode for grounding and DPT.

What dog breeds would yall recommend? I'm not looking to go the breeder route because of the price and they are super uptight when it comes to where their dogs are placed. Been told by several I have no chance of getting a dog because I live in a duplex with a small fenced yard with 3 cats and a dog. And I'm not mature enough for a puppy because I'm 19 and live with my mom still. ( ??????? It's literally $900 for a small studio where i live. I can live in a van for half that and probably have more room)

So I'm looking at shelters. Will say I live with my grandma or dad, who own their own homes. Most likely my grandma since they may do a home check. People in my area aren't too accepting of the live in a van with a dog lifestyle.

I'm hoping to have the dog trained for public access by the time I go up to Vancouver. Or basic obedience and able to stay in a crate. Under ADA dog can be with me at work but since I work at starbucks will have to stay in a break room. Considering the weather I think that would be preferable to staying in the van.

Dogs breeds that I will NOT consider:

Golden Retrievers
Labradors
Poodles

Dogs I have been considering:

Bully breed mutt from the shelter (otherwise known my misinformed individuals as the "pitbull")
German Shepherd

And that's it. I'm not too familiar with dog breeds. I want a dog with medium length fur. Suitable for cold weather and chilly nights in the van but not long enough to wear we can't go hiking in summer because the pup will overheat.

Preferably a "velcro" dog. Every pit my family has owned, we've never had to consiously teach then recall, because they never left our sight. As my grandma has said "Brat... well Brat never went far away from me. She would run ahead sniff and come back to check on me. Ran circles like that all day. Then if it was nice out I got my furs from the van and we slept outside, never had to worry about waking up and she'd be gone. But I once had this god damn queensland heeler. Fucking idiot. Middle of nowhere and saw people camped 2 miles down and ZOOM went off to go say hi. If he liked them so much he could stay with them then!" (Dog eventually came back and they continued their adventures living in a van in the 60s)

I also love really intimidating and/or wolfy looking dogs (like the Native American Indian Dog, but there are only 3 or 4 breeders and I can't afford their prices)

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Be careful of the pits or any other breeds with a rep for aggression. You are asking a dog that has a rep for aggression to do a fairly aggressive thing by blocking and getting in the way of people and other animals. These breeds have their fans, but they did not get their reputation by accident, altho from your statement, I get the feeling that you WANT others to be intimidated. Bad genes are bad genes. A service animal gets taken into situations that are stressful for it.  You don't just have to get lucky once and get a calm animal that behaves well with people. You have to get lucky twice and get an animal that behaves well around other dogs, including the increasing number of fake sd's out there that are frequently badly behaved and will often show aggression towards your dog. Until more states start cracking down on people who abuse the privilege just because it is easy and they can do it, you don't don't want a dog that is easily triggered.

gcal said:
Be careful of the pits or any other breeds with a rep for aggression. You are asking a dog that has a rep for aggression to do a fairly aggressive thing by blocking and getting in the way of people and other animals. These breeds have their fans, but they did not get their reputation by accident, altho from your statement, I get the feeling that you WANT others to be intimidated. Bad genes are bad genes. A service animal gets taken into situations that are stressful for it.  You don't just have to get lucky once and get a calm animal that behaves well with people. You have to get lucky twice and get an animal that behaves well around other dogs, including the increasing number of fake sd's out there that are frequently badly behaved and will often show aggression towards your dog. Until more states start cracking down on people who abuse the privilege just because it is easy and they can do it, you don't don't want a dog that is easily triggered.

I'm not really wanting to get into the whole "pitbull" discussion because
1. it's off topic, sort of.
2. i literally will not shut up about it, i will end up writing a 400 page book on here about it haha

In my original post i didn't want labs, retrievers, or poodles because i considered poodles frou frou dogs, I've owned labs before and i kinda wanted another breed, and i didnt want a golden because well, at heart i love being ~edgy~

but a good friend of mine gave me a SERIOUS talking to, and basically told me to get over myself. Said if i asked for help and when people try to help I act snobby/like a know it all/or immediately shoot down their suggestion, pretty soon people won't want to help me. Said i should get a dog that suits my needs and will be a good SD, if it ends up a lab or something I shouldn't immediately dismiss them because of their breed.

It was a serious talking to I definitely needed. I posted here because i wanted another perspective, and advice from people who have lived in vans and smaller mobile dwellings. It means i need to be open to other suggestions even if i don't like them.

See? Vandwelling is already good for me! lol.

But thank you all for your advice and words! I will be definitely re-reading them with a more open mind!

To each his/her own I guess, but I'm trying to imagine what a dog, especially a puppy's "not a pet" day would look like. Would sitting on a lap be allowed, fetching a ball? or would he just be in place waiting for his simple task to be needed? And since you're willing to get a puppy , how will you accomplish those simple tasks until he becomes an adult in 2018 or 19?

Personally I think it's a very poorly thought out plan and you might prefer to investigate the many mechanical and electronic devices available to help handicapped people accomplish simple tasks, because honestly, a dog whose life exists solely for that purpose will be a miserable one. I'm done.

IanC said:
To each his/her own I guess, but I'm trying to imagine what a dog, especially a puppy's "not a pet" day would look like. Would sitting on a lap be allowed, fetching a ball? or would he just be in place waiting for his simple task to be needed? And since you're willing to get a puppy , how will you accomplish those simple tasks until he becomes an adult in 2018 or 19?

Personally I think it's a very poorly thought out plan and you might prefer to investigate the many mechanical and electronic devices available to help handicapped people accomplish simple tasks, because honestly, a dog whose life exists solely for that purpose will be a miserable one. I'm done.

1. I'm not "handicapped" I am disabled.

2. And while they are considered medical equipment they do lead fulfilling love filled lives.

A service dog is NOT a pet you are right. A service dog is HIGHLY trained and must be essentially bomb proof in public. A service dog must be able to learn tasks and perform them when needed, even in public and high distraction areas.

Your average pet will NOT be able to deal with that. But that doesn't mean that the dog won't be loved? That they won't get plenty of off duty time to play and cuddle and go to the park and on hikes.

I can see where my wording could be confused I guess. A service dog isn't a pet so I can't look for one the way I would a pet. But service dogs still get off duty time and play and they aren't on duty 24/7.

And my disabilities are manageable now, but they are approaching to where they will no longer be. So I am making plans for when they won't be manageable.

And yes it does take a year or two for a service dog to be fully trained and depending on the dog some are ready to begin public access training at 8 months old.

If you have any further questions about service dogs feel free to ask.

Latest posts