Experience with handheld sewing machines?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeontheroad

Reaction score
Has anybody tried one? Or use one on a regular basis? Not sure whether it's OK to leave it here, in Hobbies section (so feel free to move it where it'd be more appropriate!). 
Been thinking about getting one for my long travels when I might need it for small repairs (for instance, fixing tears), since they're much smaller, cheaper, lighter than regular portable ones -  and it's crucial since I don't have much spare space in my vehicle.
To be honest, they look like stapler to me, but I'm intrigued as well - was wondering if they really work?

years ago I had one, it kinda worked. unfortunately I don't remember the brand. It didn't sew heavy material at all. I found it much easier to sew stuff by hand. for real heavy stuff I like to use a speedy stitcher. and if I could figure out how to copy and paste with my new computer I would post a link. grrrrr. highdesertranger

For hdr
5daec62aa2c07784dab9d7e31f10e15c.jpg

The small hand stitch machines don't have a lot of strength or power. But their biggest issue is the don't created a lock stitch as they don't have both a bobbin thread and a top thread. So that means the whole line of stitching can be pulled loose by tugging on a thread end. You need to be aware that you have to leave the tail ends of the thread long, then put it into a needle and take a few tiny back stitches to secure the ends of the stitch line. If you do that you will get a better result for making a longer lasting mend.

Mending a small tear that is a few inches long is quite easy to do with a needle and thread. I am not sure why people seem to be so afraid of doing a bit of practice to develop a little bit of fine motor skill control of movement. You already have mastered many such fine motor skill task such as putting a button into a button hole, the tang of a belt buckle into a hole, a coin into a slot on a machine, tying your shoes, perhaps applying makeup or glue to something, etc.

Hand sewing is not difficult to do, I learned it at about the age of 8 when the developmental ability to do such things can be achieved. My mother taught all of us kids including my brothers how to put on buttons and mend small tears. She considered it along with cooking to be an essential life skill.

Be good to yourself, add hand sewing into your basic skill set, it will serve you well to do so.

maki2 said:
Be good to yourself, add hand sewing into your basic skill set, it will serve you well to do so.

Absolutely. I enjoy my sewing machine, but recently I've been contemplating sewing something entirely by hand. Really expensive custom clothing is still largely sewn by hand, because that's how you build in the shaping. I'm retired, I don't need to do ANYTHING quickly. A set of good needles and some thread is a lot more portable than a sewing machine.

And no, I wouldn't bother with one of those little hand thingies. Seems like the worst of both methods to me. But then, I've never tried one either, so...

Those little hand held sewing machines are not very expensive. Try it, you might like it, if does not work for you then take it back to the store and get a refund. Although I have to admit I rarely take things back unless they are actually defective.

I was surprised to learn that the newest version of the hand-held units from Singer actually do have a separate bobbin and produce and lock stitch.  Here is a review:  

I am pretty sure I was born with a sewing needle in hand ;) , and agree it's a great skill to have!

Kate Cloud put up a video where she is using one as she works on her gypsy wagon. She says she is a seamstress, so she probably has a clue. You get a glimpse at the 4:00 minute mark. 

First of all, thanks everyone!
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to reply earlier, but I read all of your comments via notifications.

highdesertranger said:
thanks Cammalu.  I am trying again,

https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitc...&keywords=speedy+stitch&qid=1576163068&sr=8-2

highdesertranger

ha it worked.

Thanks a lot highdesertranger!
Never considered something like this (as in the first post I was talking about fixing my clothes mostly). But I guess it might work for vinyl and leather so I've added this kit to my wishlist. 

maki2 said:
The small hand stitch machines don't have a lot of strength or power. But their biggest issue is the don't created a lock stitch as they don't have both a bobbin thread and a top thread. So that means the whole line of stitching can be pulled loose by tugging on a thread end. You need to be aware that you have to leave the tail ends of the thread long, then put it into a needle and take a few tiny back stitches to secure the ends of the stitch line. If you do that you will get a better result for making a longer lasting mend.

Mending a small tear that is a few inches long is quite easy to do with a needle and thread. I am not sure why people seem to be so afraid of doing a bit of practice to develop a little bit of fine motor skill control of movement. You already have mastered many such fine motor skill task such as putting a button into a button hole, the tang of a belt buckle into a hole, a coin into a slot on a machine, tying your shoes, perhaps applying makeup or glue to something, etc.

Hand sewing is not difficult to do, I learned it at about the age of 8 when the developmental ability to do such things can be achieved. My mother taught all of us kids including my brothers how to put on buttons and mend small tears. She considered it along with cooking to be an essential life skill.

Thanks for a piece of advice, maki. Also jacqueg.
Gladly I can sew, I just... well, don't like to. Don't like the whole process. Like someone who don't like washing dishes and such.
Guess I'm just growing lazier lately with all these problems at home and bureaucratic stuff (yes, shame on me), and that's why I was considering getting a machine for this particular purpose. So yes, I can fix my clothes by hand when I need, but aren't we always looking for easier ways to achieve something?
What? No? Okay, then it's just me. :blush:
And I'm extremely grateful for mentioning the problems with lock stitch. It doesn't sound good and that's a huge minus for me. That's the thing they don't mention in reviews and as I've checked Amazon comments are extremely discouraging.

VanFan said:
I was surprised to learn that the newest version of the hand-held units from Singer actually do have a separate bobbin and produce and lock stitch.  Here is a review:  

I am pretty sure I was born with a sewing needle in hand ;) , and agree it's a great skill to have!

Wow, thanks Van Fan!
Guess it was a good decision to wait a little longer. I did my research and found out that this Singer you've linked to is a so-called "mini sewing machine". So many types of them nowadays, as when I was younger it was just "mom's ancient Singer" and "modern machines", hah!

Still I believe I should give it a try. Just to be certain that at least I've tried it and didn't like it. I believe it's pointless to look for a particular model, so I'm going to buy a random one in the local shop and test it on clothes that I don't like. Going to share the results of my experiment later. 
Once again, thanks for sharing your opinions with me. I'm not ignoring your words, ladies, as I completely understand why are your saying it's pointless, but I just want to give it a chance before banning this option completely. Certainly, it might be not the best decision I've ever made. But well, I can always return to hand sewing and - as mak said - get my refund.

I own a very good sewing machine but a while back in a local thrift store I saw a Janome 10 stitch New Home machine for very little money on senior discount day. I like tools and am curious to see if the various claims that is was a useful machine were true so I plunked down my pocket money on it.

It only weighs 5 lbs and is fairly compact. Suitable for lots of l projects such as mending a seam, making window coverings, etc. I do see them for low cost on craigslist and once in a great while in a thrift store. But the can be found new for around $45.00, sometimes even less on a closeout deal. So if you are looking for a real lockstitch machine that is fairly inexpensive but does do mending and such while not being very heavy or bulky that is my recommendation. It does use a bobbin and makes lock stiches and it has a reverse for securing the start and stop of a seam. Of course it is no powerhouse but unless you are mending very thick and heavy Carhart overalls it should get the job done. Just be sure to use the right needle size for the material you are sewing, too thin of a needle and it will get bent and then the stitches can form correctly if at all. A lot of sewing issues can come from using the wrong needle for the weight and type of fabric.

This is an example of it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Graceful-10-Stitch-Portable-Compact/dp/B00O1YI3OG

janeontheroad said:
Still I believe I should give it a try. Just to be certain that at least I've tried it and didn't like it.
Ya know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying something just because you want to!  (I'll admit even I was a bit intrigued...  but I know I'd get frustrated with it, so I'll resist.)  These little guys caught my eye years ago, but I never indulged:  https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/toys/minisinger/

highdesertranger said:
wow really poor reviews for that sewing machine.  highdesertranger
No doubt the poor reviews are because they expect a $50.00 sewing machine to perform as well as a $500.00 machine. Of course it can't it does not have a big motor in it. It has a limited range of stitch length and width. It won't sew as fast as a machine with a larger motor. But it is good for light mending and for light weight projects. I put it through its paces to see what its limits were. It has them, all $50.00 and under sewing machines are limited in what they can do. But the used one I bought at the thrift store did sew decent stitches.

VanFan said:
Ya know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying something just because you want to!  (I'll admit even I was a bit intrigued...  but I know I'd get frustrated with it, so I'll resist.)  These little guys caught my eye years ago, but I never indulged:  https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/toys/minisinger/
My parents gave me a toy sewing machine one year, not a singer though.  I made some doll clothes on it but of course the hand crank was rather frustrating to use and it jammed up pretty often. Even back at that age I took it apart and attempted to fix the issue of it jamming but I did not yet have the skills needed to modify parts.

i just bought a $21 hand held sewing machine from walmart. normally i sew by hand, just repairs, or punk rock patches. but i am getting back into printing, and wanted to print something small like patches, and bought the sewing machine to finish the borders. only spent a couple of hours playing with it but it appears to work basically, i sewed some borders on super rough hand painted patches i made and my first attempt looks okay, still really rough, but i should get better the more i do it.
super busy with work right now, but i should get more time on it soon. runs on 4 aa batteries, or a plug in adapter you have to buy separately. which i will probably end up buying so i can run it off my ryobi battery work batteries.

We have an old-fashioned hand-crank Singer sewing machine (era 1950s maybe?) which does a lot of heavy duty projects. Its about the size of my make-up bag but if it needs servicing the costs can range between $60-$200. The price one pays for using antique household items haha.

there are lots of videos on youtube showing how to tune up sewing machines including old Singer machines circa 1950. Just remember all the mechanical part work on the same principles, so you should be able to find those adjustment screws even if you don't have the exact same model.

I still use my basic Singer, run it off the generator as needed. The machine and my notions fit nicely in a half size rubbermaid bin.   -crofter

HighwayPirates said:
We have an old-fashioned hand-crank Singer sewing machine (era 1950s maybe?) which does a lot of heavy duty projects. Its about the size of my make-up bag but if it needs servicing the costs can range between $60-$200. The price one pays for using antique household items haha.
I am necro posting, but that is because with the state of the world now, I am stitching up masks like a fiend and am using a hand crank Singer to do it.

I have a much cheaper and lighter mini sewing machine that makes a proper lock stitch (and has a foot pedal for control), but I cannot tell you the joy the hand cranked Singer has brought me to sew with. Once you get that crank going it chugs itself along quite nicely.

So for those who don't mind a bit of weight and would liked something available non-electric, I recommend any Singer that is either already hand cranked, or which can be made hand cranked by way of a $30 conversion kit (replace balance wheel from solid to spoked + add crank). You will then literally be able to sew anywhere.

Just don't, if you mind my word of advice, get a vibrating shuttle Singer machine (they are reeeeeeeeeeeally old, so you will not buy one by accident one hopes) unless you are sure it comes with its bobbin winder. Those use nonstandard bobbins so you are dead in the water if you cannot add thread to them. (Ask me how I know. [emoji1751])

But anyway, a wordy +1 for hand cranked machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk