Saying Hello to all of you.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arby

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago my parents went with the Thousand Trails stuff for their retirement, now my dad is about on his last years if that now in his mid-80's.  It's my turn now.  I will be 59 soon. 
I have been feeling very stuck on disability for a very long time. Economically, its a drag not being able to go anywhere. The house I rent completely sucks, after being promised a much better place than this. So, I am going to work on tossing things, to minimize. I really am not using most of it! After a few essentials in the next so many months, ( not that many), I can just sock it away ---  other than getting a sturdy beach cruiser and rear wheel 38cc motorized system. ( Gone are the days I could ride a ten speed all over for up to 35 miles --- but a motorized bike, a basic moped in reality ... that works !)
  I remember my dad building an RV out of a Step van for five of us and writing the article and doing the photography as he worked to get it done to match up with his two-week vacation. I always wanted to build my own little RV. If I can find a van, it would work, or a truck I can build a camper on. I grew up hiking and biking around Santa Barbara, California and have traveled in the military and afterward just to be able to live in different regions in the US when I could. 
I am working on saving for the essentials and I think a van or truck I can put a motorized bike in since its lighter than a moped even though I would not mind one...  would be sufficient for me to start with. Even a small truck would work when I know I am only five feet tall and just living very minimally works. 
In watching Bob's videos, I liked --- that the Ryobi battery powered tools, a small circular saw, and a drill. Yes, that would be fine and a sander block and a few files, the square... measuring tape! I like making things.
 Learning about the Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater system vs. the Mr. Buddy heaters.... that helped me make a much better choice,  so many things and I saw some great ladies vans and car living setups and much of that on budgets like mine.

Honestly, whether it was a shoestring budget or someone who had more money to work with, I saw great ideas and the wheels are turning in my mind. Plastic-type of spray paint is helpful and so is some on sale but with the printed fabric purchased occasionally that  I can live with, to cover dollar store prints up. 
Spray on adhesive, magnets, with clips, velcro, paracord..... great friends!

I am type 2 diabetic and I do pretty good but I think I will be more active if I did get out there and do this lifestyle. 
I looked up hanging sun and wind-based dehydrators because to eat soy products like TVP is lousy for diabetics so I have to dehydrate regular meat. Easy to do in the drier Western states.

I am working on a book series to eventually publish with Kindle, but for now its very long rough drafts.  Plenty of work on that to keep my busy while I just try and sock money away for a van or truck. Used, of course. 
I was studying the way folks do the suitcase solar kits and batteries and took notes on recommendations and will get a 110v to 12v cigarette lighter cord to try out that road pro oven... 

I do already use the folding Coleman oven and finding pans to fit can be a bit confusing if you are trying to order at Amazon because they do not always provide dimensions.  (I just realized one could cut down a six muffin silicone baking pan, right?) My head is rattling and I stayed up late reading on the forum. 

I know I can build what I need and insulate and learned quite a lot on simple wiring setups of the solar power rigs that are affordable and portable within reason. I am glad I took the last two days to watch so many videos and start on the forum here. 
I will be saving my money now that things are better squared away on some issues that had been plaguing me. 

I have been watching these videos for two days now and a few others you tube channels, on the same things. Many ideas. 

I would like to be able to travel while I still can. Breathe some fresh air and go rock hounding out there in the desert and such things. There are so many places in the west I wanted to see all my life and although I saw quite a bit, there is far more to go see. 
Yes, some of those roads are the less traveled ones, too. 

Currently, I only have a cat I would have to rehome as she is entirely afraid of other people and traffic. Noise and quick moving around. Regular walker's by and such, but that would be all right. My son is certainly grown and with a family, his wife retired from the Marines and they are raising very young children now since they had them late. They are in Texas. I am not. But I can use their address probably for the domicile issue probably. 
Areas of AZ were possible too when it was in regard to such concerns. I will see what works out later, but I am thinking about many of Bob's suggestions now that he covered in many of the videos. 

I would want to do this if I won a lottery, too, that is a fact. Build my own trailer or RV as well. 
It would be fun to be able to get to know some of you and those already out there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Arby! Glad to see that you are taking time to plan your build and looking at all aspects and saving money to do what you want. You'll probably change your mind multiple times so hold off on most purchases until you have your vehicle. Feel free to ask about anything. You'll get more and better answers by posting each question under the forum heading where it fits the best. Good luck with everything!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Arby said:
I would like to be able to travel while I still can. Breathe some fresh air and go rock hounding out there in the desert and such things. There are so many places in the west I wanted to see all my life and although I saw quite a bit, there is far more to go see. 
Yes, some of those roads are the less traveled ones, too. 

Welcome!
Life is short, do it now has a lot of appeal.

As you've seen this can be done with a very small amount of equipment and things can be improved on the road and on the go. That fits very nicely with the "life is short, do it now" thought.

Have you checked out Bob's blog & web site? There is a huge amount of information and ideas still there from when he wrote words & put up photos, it's still a great place to get ideas. cheaprvliving.com is always worth a visit!

Maybe I'll see you out there!

Arby, lots of people are out there traveling with cats. They seem to get used to it. I’m traveling with one also.

I want to go rockhounding also! I’ll be around Quartzsite mostly this winter at La Posa LTVA. I think there is a rock hounding club in Quartzsite and I’m going to check on it.

If you are in the area give me a shout.

Rob, becida and cammalu, hey thanks for the suggestions. I have plenty of time to fine tune and try out things, of course. It will take me a while to save for a vehicle and hope it does not need any major repairs off the bat. Save for the materials and parts, too, but I should be able to put together something reasonable for myself in time.

My best bet would be a van, that would be quite comfortable if I can find a cargo van or large enough minivan. For a bargain and I have some friends in the area that when I am ready to buy a vehicle, they will help me find it. I would also do fine with a small truck for a small camper and it would be able to tow a small trailer I could make using Harbor Freight utility trailers. I will see what I can come up with over time.

Latest posts