excited and undecided

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithr10

Reaction score
Hi, I am  a gal from Missouri. I will be ready to retire in  2020 so thinking ahead but I don't know if I could live in a van. I am not prissy just claustrophobic. I originally was thinking class C but I do not want to stay in RV parks yuck right on top of each other kind of defeats the purpose. I have gotten the impression getting out to BLM land is easier in a van than a RV. I have noticed many 50 plus women towing little trailers so maybe that wouldn't be as hard as I originally thought it would be. Well I am so glad to have found this forum for information.

Interesting I am also retiring in 2020 and I am also undecided what vehicle I want. I think I want a roadtrek or maybe a small trailer? Difficult decision. Good Luck to is both. Welcome to the forum.

smithr10 said:
Hi, I am  a gal from Missouri. I will be ready to retire in  2020 so thinking ahead but I don't know if I could live in a van. I am not prissy just claustrophobic. I originally was thinking class C but I do not want to stay in RV parks yuck right on top of each other kind of defeats the purpose. I have gotten the impression getting out to BLM land is easier in a van than a RV. I have noticed many 50 plus women towing little trailers so maybe that wouldn't be as hard as I originally thought it would be. Well I am so glad to have found this forum for information.

I originally thought the same as you.   But, when I found a little class C (just 21 feet) and compared the interior space to a converted van (even with a high top), I realized that the chinook style class C had more space for the wheel base, and even has higher under carriage clearance. 

My understanding is that access into the deeper areas of BLM land is constrained by two issues....ground clearance and width.   The Class C I have is 8ft side to side..so it is a bit bigger than a van.   This may keep me out of some of the really remote areas.    

Not all class Cs are rolling behemoths    

Living permanently on the road, I needed to consider the my own longer term comfort needs.

Welcome to the forum Smithr10!

There's a lot of single women out here in all types of vehicles and combinations. You've got lots of time to explore what will work best for you both for living comfort and for getting you anywhere you want to go. BTW, Class Cs don't have to be big behemoths that you can't go anywhere except an RV park. Many are ideally suited for boondocking and can be equipped with enough solar and other necessities to keep you comfortable in the middle of nowhere!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Over three years is quite a while to decide. I might suggest renting for a few trips to give you a idea of what each is like. I am looking at three and a half months and am still considering vans as well as Class A, B and C's. The pressure isn't too bad considering I have a truck and trailer already.

I would think that a pop up camper on a 4x4 pick up would have access to the most areas. A 35 ft Class A will be the most limited with all of its room, comfort and storage. That said, I have seen Class A's in places so deep all I could think was how, knowing I could not get my trailer up there. That 25 ft trailer while not intentionally built for the back roads, is not as tall or as wide as most. It has done surprisingly well on the trails being pulled by a 4x4. Smaller trailers can go even more places but the going gets very slow in some spots. You can't rip over stuff in a RV, it will shake it apart.

One thing I wonder is just how often the roads are that bad. We have pulled in the Rockies for decades and most of the time a Buick can get you to most of the sites. The ones that require 4x4 low with the trailer are going to need it in most any vehicle, rocks are rocks.

To me, the space question depends on how you will be living.    When I'm out in the woods, I don't need a lot of indoor space, because the entire outdoors is my home.   If I'm in an RV park, then I always feel a bit closed in, regardless of my rig.  

My plan is to buy an empty cargo van, and convert it myself.  For me, the answer is to have an open floor plan, with the basic functions built in, so I'm not constantly having to move the pieces around.  Convertible furniture is very clever and appealing, but a PITA for me.  I will pull my bucket out of a cabinet when needed, so I have plenty of space to do my business.  I don't want to cut my limited living space into multiple tinier little rooms.  

I think that planning windows carefully can also impact the feeling of openness.  I've seen some of those school bus conversions on youtube that give such a lovely feeling of bringing the entire outdoors into your home.   On the other hand, it cuts down a bit on privacy if you are camping with close neighbors.  

Planning for good ventilation is essential.  Fresh air contributes greatly to a feeling of spaciousness.

Of course, I haven't actually hit the road yet, so your mileage may vary.

For Class C, look at used Lazy Daze as they have more windows than others. Smallest is a 23.5' though. I also was looking at conversion vans, some have a lot more in them than others and they have a lot of windows. I have also considered the smaller trailers but I have a list of issues on those and most offer very closed in as do some of the camper vans with tons of amenities. So, I'm looking at everything also. It is a difficult decision. I'll consider everything and probably just end up where I started once something pops up here to actually purchase.

smithr10 said:

Welcome Smithr,

I too will be retiring soon but could be as late as 2020. I did a couple of nights in a mini-van and decided it was too cramped for me. So my next plan is to rent the largest uhaul trailer I can find and drive it for a day in the mountains where I live. That way I will know if hauling a trailer is an option or not. I need a home base so I plan on keeping a trailer down in a desert park where everyone will be right on top of each other but there is desert all around so it should be ok as I plan on being on the road quite a bit. After retiring from my teaching job overseas, I want to be part of a community if even for part of the year.
I have been researching vans, trailers, motorhomes, tiny homes etc. for the last year. I even bought a 24 foot 1979 trailer but it weighs a ton and has landed on a friend's property. Fixing it up was a bit tiresome and costly so I have decided that if I go with a trailer, I want a newer 14 footer. If you haven't seen the Jayco Jay Flights, you might like to take a look. Also they have a new model, the Hummingbird that is sweet. They run about 16K new but I have seen used Jay Flights for as little as 7K.  Jayco does not have the best reputation for some models, but they do offer a two year warranty.  The vintage trailers are cute but I would like to have a monitor for grey water, fresh water, black water, propane etc.

For me, I want to be able to stand up, cook, have a reading chair, frig, air conditioner, solar panels and last but not least a toilet for all those night time treks. 

In the future, I hope to meet up with other folks from this forum and am willing to organize some travel get togethers. 

You are sure to find a lot of useful info here and on Bob's You Tube channel. 

Happy trails,
Jeri Lynn

Welcome aboard Smithr!
That's a long time to plan .
Ask all the questions you like.
You'll have plenty of time to get it perfect .

Welcome! :)

I understand what you mean about RV parks. I stayed in my in-laws deluxe hotel room on wheels years ago in an RV park in FL---felt like I was in a fish bowl. I guess it would be great for sociable people who like having close neighbors but it's not for me. Maybe someday if I have to.

Don't have anything to add to what the others have already said. Seems like at least a couple people will have an answer to just about any question around here. :)

Latest posts