Ethanol gas vs non-ethanol gas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
Has anyone ever compared gas mileage difference between these two varieties of fuel? Just curious.

There isn't enough difference to justify the cost in my opinion and additives like Stabile 360 treat and preserve the ethanol gasoline for my generator up to 60 days which if I didn't take the time to run the gasoline out of the carburetor every time I used it I would definitely pay the extra to prevent the damage the modern gasoline causes while sitting in the carburetor.

Unfortunately todays gasoline vehicle engines are "designed" and built to operate efficiently with ethanol additives. It's the entire fuel system all the way back to the catalytic converter so we are all stuck with it. Anything other than will get you in trouble if your state requires a yearly inspection check.

my ol 2¢ worth...

Generally speaking, ethanol blended fuels have less energy, about 10% less. It is typical to get about 10% fewer mpg...this number will vary of course.

When I moved from a non-ethanol part of the US to an area where it was the norm, it caused problems, first in my motorcycles, it actually ate away some parts not designed to be used with it. 2002 fuel injected and 1969 carbureted motorcycles. It gradually started to have ill effects on the 1993 van I was driving as well. When I bought a newer vehicle designed with ethanol in mind, I experienced no further problems. Particularly with the motorcycles I learned where all of the sources for ethanol free gas were located. When travelling (9k mile + cycle trips) it went through the system fast enough not to cause any problems. I put non-ethanol in it when I could find it but didn't worry about it if I couldn't. As long as its not constantly sitting in the tank and fuel system.

With older vehicles best to avoid, with newer vehicles not worth worrying about differences IMHO.

Unless you happen upon non-ethanol gasoline while stopping to refuel, the extra gas you might burn going out of your way for the non-ethanol stuff might negate the higher mileage you seek.

Not the same thing, but I switched to non-ethanol in my boat this year, and I do find that it starts much better. That may simply be because it's a bass boat and I spend most of my time on the water using the electric motor so I burn very little gas. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to burn only 10-15 gallons in an entire summer, so the gas gets very old.

Last wintwr I bought some non ethanol gas to use in my generator. The generator started having trouble and then shut down. When I drained that fuel out there was a bunch of varnish in it. Lesson learned, non ethanol fuel does not sell nearly as often as the ethanol types so the big fuel tanks could easily have old gas in them. My advice...don't do it as you can never be sure how fresh that non ethanol gas will be.