Save Money on Gas video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to stay off the interstate and freeways in general and stick to secondary roads. Speed limits are usually 45 to 65 mph. Much less stressful when vehicles around me are going about the same speed as I am. And I get about 2 to 3 mpg better even with slowing down for towns.
Plus the scenery is better; interstates seem to have the most boring scenery. <snip>

I have gotten much more conservative in my driving as I age. Slower to accelerate, 3 second gap to traffic ahead, earlier slowing and stopping.
You sound like me. I cringe when I think how fast I drove at times when I was young. Young & dumb. Anyway, when I bought a truck camper I learned that Google maps has a setting for secondary roads only. My TC was "porpoising" on the interstate and did fine once I got on the back roads. I learned that I prefer the back roads. For the same reasons you do.

Bob's new video is about how to save money on fuel. He offers numerous ways to save.

However, at 7:50 he says to "turn off air conditioning". That is wrong (unless you are driving slowly Eg. in town). You get better gas mileage if you use air. Especially on highways. I learned that in the 70's from the Shell Answer Man. Anyone remember those commercials?

Bob's video:

Just did a search and it is still true about air conditioning & gas mileage:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/hybrid-technology/driving-with-windows-down.htm
Trivia: Random Shell Answer Man commercial from 1977:

Heh...for me this particular point is moot since my AC doesn't work and I currently can't afford to get it fixed