Escape pods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velojym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on the verge of running away.

I'm in a cold, dry marriage, working like a hamster in an I.T. job that hasn't offered a raise in 5 years... I'm still working for newb wages while doing admin work.
I'm down to one friend, and he's my boss... and that relationship is also a bit strained now.

I have a Chevy HHR (paid off) and a Suburban (I owe about $6k), a canoe and a bunch of other stuff I rarely, if ever, use.

I'm also horribly indecisive. I'm ok with selling most of my junk, except that I'm terrible at making deals (always end up on the short side of the schtick).

As for the vehicle, the HHR is more efficient, and can tow a lighter teardrop trailer. The space issue isn't so bad, as I spent most of a career in trucking, in a 42" flat top sleeper with far less space than
the average small TD. That was a liveaboard situation, with maybe a couple days "at home" for every two or three months on the road.

For comfort, even a trailer the Suburban wouldn't even notice would seem cavernous in comparison (I wintered in a 16' Panther once, didn't use half the trailer, so I curtained it off to make the most of my little space heater. It would also give me more space for some of the stuff I might not want to sell, especially if I can make something of a living with it, such as my camera gear and a quadcopter or two.

Either way, I'm still registering and insuring two vehicles: the TV and the trailer.

I suppose the smart move would be to sell them both off and find a class B, or at least a high roof van. I'd use a bicycle for any real short range transport, so the fuel economy could be somewhat mitigated this way. That would also hold true for the Burb, which is an '04 Z71 in really great shape.

I'm just kinda letting my thoughts splash on the page here, as I've nobody here to talk with, so you can ignore it if you wish. :)

The less you have the easier it is. If you really want out just start selling stuff and if its not a really important or valuable item just accept what is offered. Soom you end up with two piles stuff for the dump and sfuff that nobody bought and you meed to take it to Goodwill or something. After you have down sized you can worry about a vehicle. Good things always have a way of working themselves out. You got this buddy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I've done it before, and with a van, even. :)

Though I did aim for more conventional housing, I sold or gave away anything I couldn't comfortably fit in the van. It was pretty liberating. I'm sure I can do it again, though there is still some trepidation.

Cobra246 said:
The less you have the easier it is.

QFT -on my vast authority, LoL

Sounds like County Lockup would be more fun than how you describe your current life- Yikes!

I suppose just go with something- The Bob Wells video channel has several people living in cars-
Much smaller than either of your choices. I see people living in tents YEAR AROUND up here- Don't know how.
They cleared a few of them- I suppose to pretty up for superbowl.

Sell the car and get a cargo trailer. Secretly build it out (simple) and get everything in your life ready. Then you can decide when to make the change happen and break free.

Im biased as I have a Suburban. I would keep the Suburban and get a trailer. What I like about the Suburban is that you can use the trailer as your home base and still go off in the Suburban to explore and even overnight trips. Ive taken out the 3rd row seat. Theres a couple that is fulltiming in theirs. Also it has great ground clearance, the ability to add a roof rack etc and has a good track record for longevity.
LilNomad

I'm going to give my vote to the suburban too, it's a far more robust vehicle and will have no problem towing a teardrop or a small cargo trailer. You've got options with the suburban, and fuel economy isn't really that much of an issue if you're not running back and forth all over the country like I generally do.

Suburban and a trailer will get you moving quicker and with less decision making. Once down the road you can decide if you want to park the trailer or keep it, or trade everything in for a class B.

The fun begins when you find your smile again. :D

Thanks for the advice, folks.

I do like driving the Burb more, especially as I'm a big guy who's getting a little creaky with age.
Also, we have direct parking in front of our office, a single-level business park, and they don't seem to have a problem with keeping company vehicles in the parking lot.
We do network services, so a cargo trailer could easily be explained, if needed, as we haul network hardware and fixtures on occasion.
I could very easily put a trailer in a space across from the office, and even slap a simple company logo on the sides... the ultimate urban camouflage.
I grew up out west, and love getting away from the pavement. In fact, if/when I make my break, my first destination might be to a certain corner of Arizona that gets a lot of attention on these pages.
Well... after stopping in Clovis for a guisada burrito at Leal's... man I miss those things.

My needs are simple, a bed/seat, a counter, and.... well, I guess that's about it. I did entertain an idea of insulating the trailer, making my fixtures stowable, installing a small a/c unit, and using the trailer for temperature sensitive light cargo. Probably not full time, but if a juicy load shows up on uship... a little extra cash.
I'd just use camping equipment for cooking and the like, just like I did in Arkansas a few years back.

...and yeah... I'd love to get my smile back. Some mornings I wonder if it's even worth taking in the next breath.

Attachments

• Suburban.jpg
    Suburban.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 9
Life is a lot better when you wake up and get to decide what YOU want to do today.

It's funny. I was able to take the day off this past Friday, something I can't do often given the amount of leave we're allowed. I just needed some time to myself, without anyone demanding
or criticizing, or even just giving me funny looks whenever I say or do something wrong... and I'm ALWAYS saying or doing something wrong, it seems.

I came up with a list of things I'd like to do in my time, and settled on building a couple of small park flyers from flitetest.com. They're simple, and don't need a lot of space to fly, and go together fairly quickly.
Instead, I slept in a bit, went and had lunch at a local Mexican place, and then took myself to Tannehill state park. I just sat by the grist mill, listening to the waterwheel and the stream that feeds it, for a few hours.

That felt pretty good. Unfortunately, time flew way too fast and I had to dive back into the real world again.

Most everyone has to work for quite a few years. The best advice I can give is learn to live well on little money and pay off debt, save and invest, in that order. When you don't need much money to live from, having some investments throwing off dividends on a regular basis makes everything much easier. The key is how to live well on little money. Most things you can buy for money don't give the satisfaction of a walk in the woods, a nap in the afternoon, cooking a good meal, or spending time with friends.

Then... the other, slightly more extreme idea... ditch it all, even the vehicles, and pick up a decent cruiser motorcycle.
As I've mentioned before, I spent a career living in trucks, usually with a tiny sleeper, and if tent camping off a motorcycle doesn't work, there are some bike-towable campers that would still dwarf my old living space.

That idea came up when I was looking at stuff the HHR could tow. at a 100/1000 capacity, that car is pretty limited :D

Please forgive my sloppy thinking/posting. I really don't have anyone IRL who's willing to listen to my nonsense.

You guys might get a laugh out of this, but there is another extreme I've considered from time to time.
As I have a fairly extensive trucking career in my past, and given the projected fuel economy of my Suburban with any decent sized travel trailer...

A medium/heavy duty tractor/trailer rig starts looking kinda cool. I got about 9 mpg with the Peterbilt I used to own. Not all the time, as heavy loads in the mountains did take a toll.
But, either a classic truck (pursuing the Historical angle, maybe an R model Mack...) or a later model that's bottomed out in value, like a Freightliner FL70 or 80, and a drop-frame trailer
could be the base for a pretty impressive mobile home. I'd considered putting a wall in toward the back (spacing to be determined after some study) and letting the roof down gently for an aero-tail effect.
This would be made of some sturdy/light material and can fold out into a deck which would surround the back part of the trailer when deployed, providing extra deck space around... oh, I dunno.... maybe an outdoor hot tub. :D
A slide-out or even fold-out in the side of the trailer would provide extra room inside, but not entirely necessary, as if things go belly up here to the point that I flounce, I plan on staying solo on a more permanent basis. The extra space would be purely for novelty/guest/whothehellknowswhatelse use.
A short wet bar and keg station, along with a sound system, can go on the new wall between the tub and the trailer proper.

Naturally, this would go on the "loud" side of the camp, but I still wouldn't blast the tunes. :D

The above post is purely "what-if" in nature. The near future plan would still be something simple and cheap as discussed earlier in the thread.

But man, the truck would be some kinda fun... to build AND to use.

velojym said:
You guys might get a laugh out of this, but there is another extreme I've considered from time to time.
As I have a fairly extensive trucking career in my past, and given the projected fuel economy of my Suburban with any decent sized travel trailer...

A medium/heavy duty tractor/trailer rig starts looking kinda cool. I got about 9 mpg with the Peterbilt I used to own. Not all the time, as heavy loads in the mountains did take a toll.
But, either a classic truck (pursuing the Historical angle, maybe an R model Mack...) or a later model that's bottomed out in value, like a Freightliner FL70 or 80, and a drop-frame trailer
could be the base for a pretty impressive mobile home. I'd considered putting a wall in toward the back (spacing to be determined after some study) and letting the roof down gently for an aero-tail effect.
This would be made of some sturdy/light material and can fold out into a deck which would surround the back part of the trailer when deployed, providing extra deck space around... oh, I dunno.... maybe an outdoor hot tub. :D
A slide-out or even fold-out in the side of the trailer would provide extra room inside, but not entirely necessary, as if things go belly up here to the point that I flounce, I plan on staying solo on a more permanent basis. The extra space would be purely for novelty/guest/whothehellknowswhatelse use.
A short wet bar and keg station, along with a sound system, can go on the new wall between the tub and the trailer proper.

Naturally, this would go on the "loud" side of the camp, but I still wouldn't blast the tunes. :D

The above post is purely "what-if" in nature. The near future plan would still be something simple and cheap as discussed earlier in the thread.

But man, the truck would be some kinda fun... to build AND to use.

I've considered building exactly what you describe above. Build out an old moving trailer into a very comfortable full time rv with a drop down in the rear for a garage. Only problem is the length, they won't fit in most rv parks and state/national parks. Only place it would fit is in the desert. I would still consider a Class 8 straight truck rv. Most are custom built. Check www.racingjunk.com for Class 8 rv's and toter homes. They also have plenty of normal rv's as well.

Yeah, I'd thought about the length. Though I hauled 'em all up to 57' (and over, with permits) while truckin', I figure a 28' trailer would be a fine base for that build. Single axle, on the trailer as well as drivers on the tractor... save weight and fuel, and it's not like I'm be-boppin' down the road at 40 tons anymore. Also, those tires can get pricey, especially when you've got 18 of 'em.

If I'm on my own and earning fairly well, once I get settled in, that might be a good project to start poking at, anyway.

Also, I'd probably spend less time at RV parks, when traveling, and more in the truckstops. I'd probably go ahead and have a sleeper on the tractor, and just crash like I used to until I get to my destination, then deploy the trailer.

Hi there.   I just have a little Buttinsky advice, something that you might want to consider.  Are you running away to the right thing?  I love this lifestyle a lot, but I'm wondering if you might want to seek the advice of a trusted friend or a counselor or something, just to validate that you really want to do this.  Of course, you're preaching to the choir here on this site, but I just wonder about this because you have more on the line than just a job.  You have a wife, and even though you feel the marriage is dry, there might be other changes you need to make in your life instead of running away.

You burn bridges sometimes when you run away.  Sometimes that's good and sometimes it's not.  I just think it would be a good thing to maybe see someone you trust, maybe with your wife to see if this is really what you want.   It's obvious you need some relief fast.  You can get that without running away.

And like I said, we're all loving this, but the lifestyle isn't for everyone.  You'll want to make sure it is really for you before you throw away some very valuable things (and I'm not talking vehicles) in your life.  It's way better to take it slow and know for sure than rushing out onto the road.

I appreciate the advice, but this isn't rushed at all. Actually, I may never leave, but I'm finding it somewhat cathartic to at least talk about it.
As for the lifestyle, I was a trucker for a couple decades. Not nearly as much freedom, but a 42' flat top sleeper makes even a teardrop trailer seem pretty big. I was home for about a weekend every other month, but I wasn't married then, so there wasn't really anyone waiting at home for me.

Some guys my age will buy a Corvette and start flirting with young women, I like the pursuit of peace and quiet, and have always wanted to visit all the places I've passed in a truck, but never had the time to stop and enjoy.