Dometic CC-40US

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, just a couple of notes here... none negative at all. The unit fired right up and was at 37 degrees in likely less than an hour (no food inside). It is a bit top heavy as the compressor is actually on the top of the unit and not the bottom. As such, the bottom/floor is the same level unlike other models. As a result, the unit is a bit top heavy so you'll want to be certain it's secured well.

Also, it's almost as if Dometic had planned for people to put this model between their front seats. It fits perfectly in my E350 with the vents on the top facing the rear. The lid opens from the drivers side and the controls/readout are also rear facing. I'm really pleased with how this worked out.

I cant' give much detail in regard to power consumption just yet. As for the fan, it is noticeable, but it's clean white sounding noise if that makes sense. In other words, the darn thing isn't clanking or squealing around. Certainly nothing that concerned me.

Cheers,

Tim

JannaB said:
I bought a Max Burton about 2 weeks ago.  $350. Delivered.
Yep I'll wait and see how long it lasts. I never drove an expensive car and always got where I needed to go......
Life is a gamble, especially this lifestyle.  So far it's a gem. Low amps and plenty of room. Since never having a fridge on the road, it is great to bed able to cook and freeze portions.

I am considering purchase of a Max Burton. Please tell me how yours is working out so far. What is the size? Can you share the power use? Thank you very much for any info!

KathyC said:

Thanks Kathy C I have been wanting one of these for a while and I just pulled the trigger on this you can't go wrong with that price on that quality product. A good freezer now I need a 100 watt flexible solar panel / controller to keep juice in the battery.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
Thanks Kathy C I have been wanting one of these for a while and I just pulled the trigger on this you can't go wrong with that price on that quality product.

Awesome!  I ended up getting the Dometic CFX40 because they had a special at Overland Expo and they threw in the insulated cover.  So far, it's fantastic as a fridge.  I'll report back on power consumption in the real world once we put it to some tougher tests.

I got this unit running for 6+ weeks now and am very happy with it.
I have it set ar 32f and does a good job as a fridge. Have not tested as a freezer.

I got it hooked to x2 12v 125ah vmax with x4 100w flexible panels. I also power a desktop, fan and gadgets with this setup. Never been below 12.7 volts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
Thanks Kathy C I have been wanting one of these for a while and I just pulled the trigger on this you can't go wrong with that price on that quality product. A good freezer now I need a 100 watt flexible solar panel / controller to keep juice in the battery.

This freezer cost about what you would spend on ice for a year? I love to shop at sams club and get their warm and eat meals. Not the best for your health but way better than fast food.

For some reason Dyers Online, an RV parts place, has the price of the CC (or CF) model $90 lower than Amazon and Walmart. It is listed as a 'clearance', but I suspect it is some price elasticity testing on the part of Dometic. It is NOT the same model as the CFX which has a max (minimum) temperature of well below zero. The CF/CC is around zero. As Dometic is a quality brand I presume they are doing a quality job.

There are others including the Della and the Max Burton and some completely unbranded models. It is not clear if these are knock offs or manufactured by Dometic/Waeco as a continuing part of a competitive pricing strategy. Some of these are warranted, some not. I trust the Dometic, 1 year, warranty.

wow Dometic only has a 1 year warranty. Engel has a 3 year warranty and I just checked they still have the sale prices in effect. highdesertranger

DLTooley said:
For some reason Dyers Online, an RV parts place, has the price of the CC (or CF) model $90 lower than Amazon and Walmart.  It is listed as a 'clearance', but I suspect it is some price elasticity testing on the part of Dometic.  It is NOT the same model as the CFX which has a max (minimum) temperature of well below zero.  The CF/CC is around zero.  As Dometic is a quality brand I presume they are doing a quality job.  

There are others including the Della and the Max Burton and some completely unbranded models.  It is not clear if these are knock offs or manufactured by Dometic/Waeco as a continuing part of a competitive pricing strategy.  Some of these are warranted, some not.  I trust the Dometic, 1 year, warranty.

It's my understanding that the CC has Dometics own compressor vs. using the Dan Foss compressor.   I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that the Dan Foss compressor is a bit overkill in some situations.  I wish I knew more about it.

-T

highdesertranger said:
wow Dometic only has a 1 year warranty.   Engel has a 3 year warranty and I just checked they still have the sale prices in effect.  highdesertranger

Hmmm...my Dometic has a two year warranty (+ two years from my credit card company, which is probably worthless).  Still, the Engel has 'em beat!

I'd like to know more about the Waeco compressor. I believe it is a Danfoss/secop clone, but am not sure. It appears very similar in pictures.

The Danfoss bd35f is variable speed, 2000 to 3500 rpm, and at 3500 rpm can power a fairly large fridge upto 5.5 cubic feet if I remember correctly.

Powering a 50 liter/ 1.8 cubic foot fridge at 2500 rpm might be considered a bit overkill. My Vitrifrigo 51 liter front loader came with a resistor on the thermostat circuit to run it at 2500 rpm, but I removed it so it runs at the minimum 2000 rpm, for less amp draw but slightly longer run times when the compressor does fire up. It is rare than mine exceeds a 25% duty cycle.

The slowest speed which can maintain a less than 50% duty cycle is most efficient, but higher speeds will cool down items placed within faster.

So the BD35f might be considered overkill for a small fridge as it is capable of powering a larger fridge at higher rpms. I kind of think of it like a good diesel engine pushing a lightweight vehicle that rarely needs to go fast or gets loaded down.
The potential is there, but unneeded.

Especially when the condenser is well ventilated and there is extra insulation.

So are they deciding that these smaller fridges are runnign a larger more capable compressor than really needed, and have backed off on the compressor capability/size and lowered the price? Perhaps. I dont't know but it sounds reasonable.

I want to build a custom very well insulated compartment and fit the electronics and compressor guts, optimizing venting etc for efficiency.

The many "marine" kits designed for this seem pricier than the finished fridges at the low end, even Engels nowadays.

Anyone know how practical it would be to cannibalize a built unit for the parts?

What would be the advantage of paying a lot more for a kit?

KathyC said:
Awesome!  I ended up getting the Dometic CFX40 because they had a special at Overland Expo and they threw in the insulated cover.  So far, it's fantastic as a fridge.  I'll report back on power consumption in the real world once we put it to some tougher tests.

It is 7/13/2017 Just after 3 pm UPS dropped my new fridge freezer off. I got it in the house before any rain. YET to open the box to test her out I need to empty my car out and reload it with just my stuff in it and see exactly what I need to tote with me. Next time I got to the RTR I should have a pop up changing tent a fridge freezer. No coffee habit switched to tea and that is a lot easier to deal with than coffee. I had to go to the coffee shop each am at the Loves truck stop. That is where I got to do the doo then I emptied my pee jug. Better than soiling the desert granted it was a wet year but you go to Primm Nevada and take a deep breath it will choke you out. There and Jackson ville FL truck stops. I never understood why truckers would pee where they sleep makes no sense.

In short GOT MY FRIDGE ORDERED IT on the 10th got it on the 13th.

They were quick to get the freezer to me I have it sitting in the living room did not bother to take the wrapper off. Got a generator in the extra room never powered it up sure hope it works when we need it. I have my reason for not powering the genny I did not want to get it juiced up with gas then have it sit or have to run it so many times a year. So I figured just keep it in there when we have a disaster I can grab the generator put it in the tow camper that way we can establish camp N of here and will be able to restart our life a little quicker. I am not the live on the road full time type I want to have a reason for leaving my grid tied paradise. Some would look at this place and say paradise? Well it is grid tied? I was trucking and it was not grid tied. I know what it means to be off grid and in the truck I got paid for that now that I have grid tied life I want to drink it up. I had the diesel power good battery bank and powerful alternator but It is a hell of a life when you run about 500 miles a day a day being 8 sleep 10 running.

Not sure if I will give a review of the freezer I know I will use it by the time I vacation in Fl next year. I might take it out the box and plug it in the Prius V so next time we go get groceries we can take our time returning home. Depending on the fuse I might seek to hook it directly to the battery?

Well, sadly my month old Dometic cc40us died overnight. No power... nadda. I've contacted Dyers and they are trying to work something out with Dometic. I guess we'll see.

highdesertranger said:
isn't there a warranty?  highdesertranger

Yeah, I only got it on July 3rd and it fried today.  Dyers confirmed a 90 window so I still have almost 60 days left.  Apparently it's Dometics call in regard how to manage the return.  Dyers is communicating with Dometic, and hopefully I'll hear back soon.  I'll update the thread as I know more :)

UmpquaTim said:
Yeah, I only got it on July 3rd and it fried today.  Dyers confirmed a 90 window so I still have almost 60 days left.  Apparently it's Dometics call in regard how to manage the return.  Dyers is communicating with Dometic, and hopefully I'll hear back soon.  I'll update the thread as I know more :)

It SUX that a thirty day old unit died on you. I hope that was just a fluke. I guess we'll have to wait and see how Dometic handles this?