Just Facts: Transits, ProMasters and Cargos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissi said:
We really wanted these because of the pull we used to get from big rigs.  Does not happen now...   :)
Bookmarked and definitely getting, thanks heaps, Nissi!  I never thought about the pull from passing big rigs, so this is much appreciated!

Jack said:
I've been enjoying your posts, Nissi.  Do you have photos/video of your build?  I'd love to how a Nissan NV build comes out.  You're the one person who makes me still consider it!

I have not taken photos (I should).  Do have a couple picks...

The Air Tabs   
 Air Tabs rz  DSCF5091.JPG  

Screens my Husband made for the front windows   (they are now painted white to weather proof them)
Window Screen rz  DSCF5092.JPG   
Also shows the wind deflectors.  So glad we added these.  They help when using the Fantastic Fan, as we
can leave the windows down a several inches on each side.

Here are a couple links to a nice NV interview with Lee showing his work:   

Attachments

• Air Tabs rz  DSCF5091.JPG
    Air Tabs rz DSCF5091.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Window Screen rz  DSCF5092.JPG
    Window Screen rz DSCF5092.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 20
... I'm biased 'cause I live in my '16 NV 2500 high roof , V6 , like it for the truck frame "Titan" , plus great warranty.

Attachments

• Aug 18 2.jpg
    Aug 18 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 22
  • home 11-1-17 1.jpg
    home 11-1-17 1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 33
  • home 11-1-17 2.jpg
    home 11-1-17 2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20161213_171203.jpg
    IMG_20161213_171203.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Pax moring.jpg
    Pax moring.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 29
RetiredNomad said:
... I'm biased 'cause I live in my '16 NV 2500 high roof , V6 , like it for the truck frame "Titan" , plus great warranty.
Thanks for posting your pictures!  I never get tired of seeing other people's builds.

The Nissan NV is a good vehicle, I have no doubt.  Personally, they're just too short for me.  Even as simply as I enjoy living, I just want more room; especially since I'm going full-time and long-term.

Two days ago I had a chance to do a test drive on a new NV3500 high roof SL with a V8, 375HP & 387 lb-ft torque, 7 speed automatic w/tow mode.

All I can say is wow! It's not like what I thought, has a car like ride and is quiet even with all that metal and the ride will get even smoother once you add another 1000 lbs. or so in interior conversion.
LT245/75/R17 tires help with the ground clearance and give it a more truck like stance. This isn't like any van I've ever driven. Sticker is $39,405.00 and has the SL package with all the bells and whistles. I could easily make it's size work for me, maybe a bit small for two people, don't know. Anyway, too rich for my wallet but was fun to take it for a spin.

Only one with a V8.

But some say not as reliable as the Ford or Fiat/Dodge Ducato?

Matlock said:
Two days ago I had a chance to do a test drive on a new NV3500 high roof SL with a V8, 375HP & 387 lb-ft torque, 7 speed automatic w/tow mode.

All I can say is wow!  It's not like what I thought, has a car like ride and is quiet even with all that metal and the ride will get even smoother once you add another 1000 lbs. or so in interior conversion.
LT245/75/R17 tires help with the ground clearance and give it a more truck like stance. This isn't like any van I've ever driven. Sticker is $39,405.00 and has the SL package with all the bells and whistles. I could easily make it's size work for me, maybe a bit small for two people, don't know. Anyway, too rich for my wallet but was fun to take it for a spin.

Check out a used one !    We bought ours with 16,000 miles on it.  Used by a locksmith...

Matlock said:

All I can say is wow!  It's not like what I thought, has a car like ride and is quiet even with all that metal and the ride will get even smoother once you add another 1000 lbs. or so in interior conversion.

The NV2500 (or 3500) was on my short list for a while but I just could not find them in this region in the S or SL trim and sporting a V8 for under $35,000...and of course, they don't have 4WD.

So, I bought a base model Nissan XD V8 4WD 'S' pickup which has almost the same frame, engine, and drivetrain, with 4WD, and added a large topper to the 8ft bed. Right around $24,000 brand new (2017 year-end discounts) with 5 year warranty. And made in America.

I can tell you that motor is a Hoss! It is a bit thirsty, but not too bad. 17.5 mpg with just the truck, about 12-14 with the trailer. 

The 5.6L V8, with tow mode and 7 speed transmission pulls my 3000 pound cargo trailer with no effort at all. It's rated for about 11,000 lbs towing. 

Added together, the truck, the topper, and the trailer, were right at $30,000. Works for me, AND I can haul my motorcycle in the trailer!

BTW, total interior cargo volume for the High Roof NV 2500/3500 is 323 cubic feet, according to the Nissan website.

My topper provides about 190 cubic feet of interior volume, plus about 420 cubic feet for the 6x12 trailer interior volume. So, just over 600 cubic feet total. 

Volume, or space inside, has a high value when packing and traveling. But, for me, it was also a high priority to have a large motor and four wheel drive. 

Nobody makes a perfect, one-size-fits-all vehicle...we all have to prioritize purchase and conversion cost, MPG, availability, suitability, value, and appearance.

It ain't always easy!

And can definitely go farther off the beaten track

John61CT said:
And can definitely go farther off the beaten track

Mine is pretty basic, with pizza-cutter tires, no lift kit or skidplates, no locking rear diff. So it's not the monster off-roader that others may want.

And pulling a trailer will limit what it can tackle even further. BUT...and this is a big one:

Most 4WD pickups have a LO-range setting on the transfer case, and I've used this several times already. I've owned several 4WD vehicles, but never needed LO-range except when extracting someone who got stuck. I rarely pulled a trailer with them, and never off-pavement. 

But Lo-range lets me slowly navigate rough terrain or up and over curbs while pulling the trailer slowly and keep everything steady and in control. 

Worth the price of admission just for that feature alone.

I recently went to the Ford dealership and stood in both the mid-roof and high-roof. I'm 5'8" and the mid-roof was too short for me with only about an inch or two clearance. The high-roof was better, but after installing floor and ceiling, will still feel low to me. From the van comparison posted at the beginning of this page, it appears the Transit is the tallest. Just saying, you might want to go do some height comparisons at the dealerships to see what works best for you. I am planning to buy a Transit within the next six months.

Jack, I understand from earlier statements that you have limited mechanical skills.  I have deducted you want an all in one vehicle, mechanically sound, easy to get parts and mechanics to work it. Next you want Fuel economy, then comfort, and like me you want a shower. You would also like the vehicle to endure access to unimproved sites. Does such a vehicle exist? You have been presented several vehicles to compare in this thread. Do any of them fulfill your wants and needs? I think a compromise is in order. If not willing to compromise, I would recommend researching tried and true earlier models. Find one with low miles and have a trusted mechanic inspect it. Take it out on a test camp and look at it as blank slate or foundation for a build. Remember the less bells and whistles a vehicle has the less to go wrong. Install the bells and whistles you desire over time. It will be more satisfying for you in the long run. The only compromise you would have is fuel economy. Think about it Jack, Every Tom, Dick, and Sally out there Nomading are burning fuel to get from point A to point B. They are budgeting accordingly to their vehicles MPG whether it be 20MPG or 10 MPG. It's not like your vehicle is in motion 24/7. Don't be afraid of the pump- live on the edge.

HalfShadows:  You're exactly right.  Even though I only posted this thread one month ago, I learned everything you mentioned in your post.  When I started my research, the only vehicle knowledge I had was being able to tell a car from a truck and I knew how to check the oil and pump the gas.  I haven't owned a vehicle of any kind now for 18 years.  (Living in the middle of a big city, it wasn't necessary for me.)

When I learned about van life, just a couple of weeks before I found this site, I jumped in with the enthusiasm of a ten year old on Christmas morning.  I finally found what I've been looking for so I started out with big dreams!  I'm keeping my dreams big but they're more realistic now and they include compromises.  Right now, I can only have an idea of what I really want because, when the time comes to buy, things may change.  And I definitely agree with this:  
Remember the less bells and whistles a vehicle has the less to go wrong.

Van-wise, I wish I could get one without any computerized anything.  I even want manual locks and windows.  On the flip side of dreaming big, I'm equally dreaming simple.  A Chevy Express (or GMC Savannah once I learn the difference) with minimal solar needs for phone, fans, laptop and lights.  I can live with a bucket toilet and a jerry-rigged shower and/or gym membership.  I want to be on the road more than I want the other amenities.

Thanks for the wise advice.  Until buying my van comes closer to being a reality, right now I'm learning the details, mostly solar and mechanics. I don't want to be helpless on the road.  I think my time is better spent on the practical stuff that I can do something about now.  I'm also researching making an income online without having to trade my time for money with a regular job/workamping.  I'll do it if I have to, but I'd rather not.  

If only Toyota made vans, my choice would almost be set in stone.

travelaround said:
I recently went to the Ford dealership and stood in both the mid-roof and high-roof. I'm 5'8" and the mid-roof was too short for me with only about an inch or two clearance. The high-roof was better, but after installing floor and ceiling, will still feel low to me. From the van comparison posted at the beginning of this page, it appears the Transit is the tallest. Just saying, you might want to go do some height comparisons at the dealerships to see what works best for you. I am planning to buy a Transit within the next six months.
Thanks .  I haven't gotten around to the dealerships yet, mostly because I don't have a vehicle to make it happen.  I want to see every option (except Sprinters) in person - Nissan, ProMaster, Transit, Chevy Express, GMC.  

Ideally, I'd like a hightop ProMaster right now.  If not that, then a regular Chevy Express (or GMC, which I haven't looked into at all yet).  Either all out space for a nice build, or minimum space with necessities but a nice build.  I like the advantages on both of them almost equally.

I started by wanting a Transit, then for a while wanted a ProMaster instead, primarily because I thought they look nicer on the outside.

Then I watched these video reviews by a delivery driver who drives both ...

Promaster

Transit

So now I'm back to wanting a Transit, and I'm especially happy with a lot of the available options that will make this van conversion easier for me to adjust to, such as dual heavy duty batteries and a 110 outlet. About the only thing the ProMaster offers that the Transit doesn't, is the passenger-side swivel seat which would be great for a comfortable place to sit while facing into the cargo area. None the less, there are other seating options.

Thanks for posting those videos. ? I enjoy a good ProMaster vs. Transit review, especially since I'm not brand loyal.  Right now I like ProMasters better but could end up with a Transit or something else entirely.  (If anyone is interested, a delivery driver is reviewing the Promaster 1500 and the Transit 2500.)

He came across as honest and neutral in his reviews but they were from the viewpoint of using them as a delivery driver as well as his own personal preferences (looks, shapes and sizes of build and doors, cab, etc.).  I like simplicity and am not a big gadget/technology fan, so the ProMaster's cab layout is more than fine for me.  After all, even the cab can be DIY customized (cup holders, new sun visors, etc.).  Most of it still comes down to personal preference anyway.  For example:  As a delivery driver, he likes that the Transit is lower to the ground but I like the wheel clearance on the ProMaster for driving in snow, sloped parking lot entrances, natural roads, etc.,  He hates the Transit's double door on the side but I like them.  (Great place to install a simple, portable kitchen to save interior space - a fold down sink on one side and a fold down table top for a propane stove on the other side.  Then you have the option to cook indoor or outdoors just by opening the doors or not.)

He made a great point about ProMasters that I've never seen anyone else mention, and that I didn't know.  The way the divide in the driver and passenger windows obstructs the rearview mirror.  This does matter to me and will be taken into account.  Personally, I don't like ProMaster's massive windows there anyway, much less the divider in them.  (What's the purpose of that supposed to be anyway?)  The Transit has the dividers, too, but they don't interfere.  

All in all, very helpful videos!  Can't wait to see/drive them both!

Jack check out the Clean Waste Go anywhere toilet on Amazon $64.99. Mine arrived today I am impressed. It is very compact and strong as heck. It folds out and locks securely, but takes some finger strength to unlock. It beats a bucket as far as size and strength.