Just Facts: Transits, ProMasters and Cargos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points about the sliders.  I still don't like the wasted real estate of not being able to use the inside of them on the outside of the van, but, that's hardly a deal breaker.  

My initial gut instinct was to go with a PM.  Sprinter was ruled out due to the expenses and the Nissan was ruled out for size.  (I wish Toyota made a van in this class!)  I bounced back and forth between the Transit and the PM at times, and there are certainly pros and cons to each one.  At the end of the day, it really does come down to personal preference.  That said, the PM just strikes a chord with me, especially the width.  

Now, I just need to figure out a wise schedule for maintenance because I believe in preventative maintenance.   So, how far between oil changes, regular check-ups and/or tune-ups, and etc.?  Not being mechanical, I'll be learning all I can to save money (oil changes) and do minor repairs myself.

Jack said:
I still don't like the wasted real estate of not being able to use the inside of them on the outside of the van, but, that's hardly a deal breaker.  

When I still had my van, I had thought about converting the slider to a gull-wing....there are kits to do the conversion for the domestic vans...they are not cheap or simple tho....I have no idea about the newer euro-vans.

The gull-wing conversion gets you an instant canopy when camped. Of course the downside, you cant use that thing at all if a car parks right next to you in a parking lot!

But they are pretty cool....

gull-wing1.jpeggull-wing2.jpeggull-wing3.jpeg

Attachments

• gull-wing1.jpeg
    gull-wing1.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
  • gull-wing2.jpeg
    gull-wing2.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 11
  • gull-wing3.jpeg
    gull-wing3.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, the gull wings look great but you hit the nail on the head with the biggest drawback - getting stuck when others park too close! I really like the double doors better than the slider. I've seen so many people have troubles with their sliders.

In fact, the more I think about it, I'd rather not have power windows or locks, either. The less technology you have, the less that can go wrong. But, to get a vehicle without all the computer junk, you have to get an ancient vehicle and that's a complete crap shoot.

I do like my power windows and door locks.

On the van I had, in the menu system, you could set all 5 door locks to automatically lock when you began driving, over about 12 mph.

You knew you didn't have to worry about someone opening a backdoor later on that you had forgotten to lock. 

Same thing inside when bedding down at night. I just hit the keyfob button and all the doors that weren't already locked, would lock. 

Very comforting.

The slider door even had 'locking memory': When the slider was open, and you hit the keyfob to lock everything, the slider, (which has no power to its locking actuator when the door is slid open) would 'remember' to lock itself, even if you manually closed that door an hour later. 

I would imagine most modern vans work very similar.

tx2sturgis said:
I do like my power windows and door locks.
I like them, too... when they work.  When they don't, it gets expensive and inconvenient!  I just like the idea of eliminating all the unnecessary electronic items before they become an issue.  Kind of a preventative maintenance program.

Does the Transit or the ProMaster offer the same/similar crosswind assist feature that the Sprinter has? 

These big vans are like sails, and it made a big difference to me while driving a Sprinter from FL to CA a couple months ago. I've driven sedans that get blown around more when a big 18 wheeler passes or just driving on a windy day.

Jack said:
I like them, too... when they work.  When they don't, it gets expensive and inconvenient!  

Again, yep.

Years ago, in my fairly new Peterbilt work truck, I had just picked up a high-value load in El Paso bound for Dallas when the driver door power window quit working. You HAVE to be able to use that window at weigh stations, border patrol checks, vendors, etc. 

I called dispatch, got routed to the Peterbilt dealer, pulled in. After waiting for a few hours, they removed the door panel, did a few checks, determined the motor was bad. None in stock. None in stock anywhere in town.

Part was ordered (very expensive) overnight-air shipment from the manufacturer. I had to take a cab to a motel. Again, more dollars spent. Next day, cab ride back to the dealer. Part was installed late the next afternoon. I finally headed east, more than a day late.

Sounds simple....but a $50 motor delayed a $195,000 truck and trailer, $250,000 worth of cargo, and the shipment was delayed to multiple recipients for more than 30 hours. Plus the shipping of the part, repair costs to the company, and the downtime pay to myself.

A simple hand crank nearly always works, but nobody wants those anymore!

tx2sturgis said:
Yes, it's called a 'steering wheel'.

:p

The steering wheel isn't a crosswind assist feature that uses the rear brakes to dynamically adjust for wind shear. Do you know if the ProMaster or the Transit have such a feature? I'm asking a real question.

Guy Smiley said:
The steering wheel isn't a crosswind assist feature that uses the rear brakes to dynamically adjust for wind shear. Do you know if the ProMaster or the Transit have such a feature? I'm asking a real question.
No, the ProMaster doesn't have that feature.  As of 2017, the Transit came out with a side-wind stabilization.  They even have a power-assisted steering system that accounts for uneven surfaces like gravel roads or potholes.

Crosswind stabilization is a relatively new feature on vehicles.  If Sprinters were just a high priced vehicle but found to be hugely reliable, I'd have no problem paying more for it upfront (to save money on repairs later).  Unfortunately, even though they're good vehicles, when they do break down, they're quite expensive to repair and, worse yet, it's more difficult to find a mechanic who can fix them.  Since I plan to be putting a lot of miles on my van, and driving in mostly rural areas, the Sprinter just wouldn't be the right choice for me.  I hear they drive like a dream, though!

If there are high winds and I feel my vehicle (whichever kind it ends up being) started to feel unstable, I'll simply pull over until it passes.  Again, I like as few electronic features as possible because it means fewer things to break down and spend money on.  

Is your Sprinter from the 3500 series?  Was it part of the Crosswind Assist recall back in January?  I know they were trying to update the electronic stability program software for this since drivers weren't getting any kind of warning that their Crosswind Assist feature wasn't working.  I hate recalls.  And I especially hate electronics.  (Handy, yes, and I enjoy a lot of electronic benefits, but they sure do complicate life, too, and make it more expensive!)

Jack said:
No, the ProMaster doesn't have that feature.  As of 2017, the Transit came out with a side-wind stabilization.  They even have a power-assisted steering system that accounts for uneven surfaces like gravel roads or potholes.

Is your Sprinter from the 3500 series?  Was it part of the Crosswind Assist recall back in January?

My van's a 2018 2500 with no recalls (yet) and I didn't even know the feature existed when I bought my van. 

I was amazed at how well it handled in the wind and passing situations that sedans feel unstable in.

Knowing what I know now, I'd say it's something to consider for anyone considering a van of this type.

Speaking of which, there's going to be a new player in this market.

Guy Smiley said:
Speaking of which, there's going to be a new player in this market.

Wow.  Hopefully, though I doubt it, it will increase the competition for these types of vehicles and keep prices reasonable.  I wish Toyota would get in the game.  Hyundai has a nice selection of colors, though.  I don't know anything about their vehicles as far as reliability though.

Guy Smiley said:
Does the Transit or the ProMaster offer the same/similar crosswind assist feature that the Sprinter has? 

These big vans are like sails, and it made a big difference to me while driving a Sprinter from FL to CA a couple months ago. I've driven sedans that get blown around more when a big 18 wheeler passes or just driving on a windy day.

We have AirTabs    http://airtab.com/     on our van.   Unless you see the truck in your mirrors, you usually don't even know a truck is passing until you see him  next to you!   We have the hightop NV2500 Cargo Van.  Tall, and lots of side wall...

Nissi said:
We have AirTabs    http://airtab.com/     on our van.   Unless you see the truck in your mirrors, you usually don't even know a truck is passing until you see him  next to you!   We have the hightop NV2500 Cargo Van.  Tall, and lots of side wall...
I've been enjoying your posts, Nissi.  Do you have photos/video of your build?  I'd love to how a Nissan NV build comes out. You're the one person who makes me still consider it!

Wow, thanks for all of the Ideas on choosing a vehicle to live in! My personal thoughts is to buy an extended cargo van, easy to find and not to expensive to buy. Make everything simple and live a simple life, my kind of living!

Guy Smiley said:
That's the first I've heard of them. Do you know the fuel efficiency saving you get from those?

It has gone up, but don't remember how much.  You might check the website.
We really wanted these because of the pull we used to get from big rigs.  Does not happen now...   :)