Doing Something About Litter!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarkRavingNomad

Reaction score
[font=Inter, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]If you have spent time on our public lands you're probably aware of the growing litter problem.  Not only does it degrade the natural beauty of our camp spots, in the worst cases some have been closed, with the potential for many more to go that route.  PAL - People Against Litter is a growing group of volunteers who are working to reverse this trend. [/font]
[font=Inter, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]The group is just getting started, so the main objective right now is getting word out and growing our membership.  Currently, members are invited to document their litter-pick-up good deeds with photos and post them to our site.  As we grow we hope to work with area communities and BLM offices to implement permanent change.  Please add your name to our growing membership!  Even if you never document picking up a single beer can, just adding your name will help to increase the group's visibility and credibility.  [/font]
[font=Inter, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]For now our only web presence is on Facebook (link below).  Some people are not on Facebook and don't want to be.  If that's you, don't let that dissuade you.  Please let me know in the comments that you want to participate without Facebook and we'll keep you in the loop.  Our first expansion will be the addition of a separate web page. [/font]
[font=Inter, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]https://www.facebook.com/groups/3398017300297840 [/font]

You wont be able to change the mind set of the offenders who are causing the major issues that are getting areas closed to camping. Many of them have subbstance abuse issues or other sociopath issues. You can't fix their brain damage, they will never think like you.

All you can do is increase the number of people who are volunteering to clean up after them.

One thing to work on is getting free places or passes to take the litter that is cleaned up. That is a problem you could focus on in coordination with federal, state and county agencies. A pass to a free dump day or someone to come and collect the trash when groups go in to clean up a large area. Otherwise the volunteers have to pay the disposal cost.

Thanks for your input - all great points! As for changing the mindsets of the litterers, some limited headway might be made through education, but yes, it's tough to imagine a day when nobody litters. As far as increasing the number of people who are volunteering to clean up after them - YES - that's what the group is for.

As for disposal costs, there are occasional dumps that will take the refuse at no charge, but they're rare. I sometimes pick up quite a bit since I have enough room that I can carry it with me until I find a free public dumpster. Litter pick-up parties is one thing we hope to do for bigger messes. Our aim is to be able to work with local sanitation companies and get either free or reduced dumpsters in exchange for some good PR for them. Ultimately it's hoped that we can use the same good PR offers to get sanitation companies to work with us on having dumpsters placed permanently at BLM and other public lands camp areas.

As our group grows there will be people who volunteer in a number of different ways. Some of our members may never camp on public lands, but they understand the importance of having them. A large membership could lead to a subgroup of people who want to chip in to help defray costs. To that end and to make donations deductible, we plan on obtaining 501c3 status in the not too distant future.

But all of these things start with a large and vibrant group! When talking to waste management companies, for example, promising good PR for them in exchange for dumpsters at cost or less will be much more likely to carry weight once our membership exceeds 1K. That's why folks adding their names is so important!

I think the dump at Quartzsite is free. There is a never ending amount of trash there and in ehrenberg to pick up.

There was another effort with a well intended young lady making it like a movement. She’s had health issues and I haven’t seen any updates and such. I think it best to keep it more a clean up effort then a policing and political effort. Working with the proper authorities on clean up efforts is a good thing. I believe if we all do our part in our travels we will all make a difference and it will not go unnoticed. I’m amazed the roadsides that have big dumpsters that have garbage around them. I pull out a bag and my garbage picker upper and do my part. Many turn a blind eye... but doing that will force more and more closures of public lands. This is one issue I think would warrant its own forum whatever so people can look and keep an eye out for efforts being made in areas they can take part in. Count me in when I’m around. Meanwhile we gotta just do what we can where we are at. Trash is my number 1 complaint of life on the road. Different groups are blamed... but I think most people are pretty good. It only takes a small percentage to wreck it for everyone.

I've heard about this "young lady" but have yet to find her or her cause.  Would you have a link?  As for the rest, well said and, assuming "count me in" means you've joined the group, welcome! :)

This is a topic close to my heart. But why must every single thing be documented? Either pick it up and toss it or go on your way and let more places be closed. Where I live it has gotten so bad since the lockdown (we’re still locked down) they are going to charge $10 for 3 hours parking with a $500 fine if caught littering. People toss all kinds of things including dirty diapers.
If it’s not on FB or Instagram you can still help if you care about the land.
Here littering is life and death for sea animals in the rest of the country it’s keeping our land open and accessible. You don’t need a campaign just do the right thing.

I agree that "you don't need a campaign" for smaller messes.  Bigger ones need a group effort.  If you've ever seen an abandoned homeless camp you know what I mean.  This is also true of illegal dump sites on public lands.  Another goal is getting permanent dumpsters at the entrances to BLM camp areas.  That's why a network of people working together with local communities, BLM offices and sanitation companies is needed.

Again with the BLM camp areas. Almost all BLM land is a camp area. Almost the whole state of Nevada is a BLM camp area as are large parts of Eastern California, Eastern Oregon, etc. You would need millions of dumpsters. Besides just because there is a dumpster really means nothing. The problem is some people don't care about dumpsters. Don't get me wrong having a free place to dump your trash is important but IMO it won't solve anything. You see all the time when the dumpster is full some people just throw their trash on top and it rolls off or they just leave it next to the dumpster.

We even saw this at RTR. The dumpster would get full, would that stop people, no. Hell some people even left their trash and stuff they no longer wanted right were they camped after the RTR. Many people also left rock borders and fire rings when they were asked not to.

Like I always say it's the shear numbers of people that is the problem. 1 person pissing in a pond is not a problem but a million people pissing in a pond is a huge problem.

rant over, carry on

Highdesertranger

^^^ We have close to 50 dumpsters and now 4 large trash compactors within a probably less than 3 square miles. Last community trash pick up day after hosting maybe 8,000 visitors earlier this year we picked up over 100 large garbage bags of litter. Having a place to put it is not the problem here, the problem is insuring people are aware it is their responsibility to control it till they put in into the dumpster.

highdesertranger said:
Again with the BLM camp areas.  Almost all BLM land is a camp area.  Almost the whole state of Nevada is a BLM camp area as are large parts of Eastern California,  Eastern Oregon,  etc.  You would need millions of dumpsters.  Besides just because there is a dumpster really means nothing.  The problem is some people don't care about dumpsters.  Don't get me wrong having a free place to dump your trash is important but IMO it won't solve anything.  You see all the time when the dumpster is full some people just throw their trash on top and it rolls off or they just leave it next to the dumpster.

We even saw this at RTR. The dumpster would get full,  would that stop people,  no.  Hell some people even left their trash and stuff they no longer wanted right were they camped after the RTR.  Many people also left rock borders and fire rings when they were asked not to. 

Like I always say it's the shear numbers of people that is the problem.  1 person pissing in a pond is not a problem but a million people pissing in a pond is a huge problem. 

rant over,  carry on

Highdesertranger
I really don't know, HDR.  I compare National Parks to BLM land.  The parks get many times more traffic but are usually much cleaner.  I see the problem as there's simply not money in the budget to patrol and pay clean-up people like in National Parks.  That's why a network of volunteers - people who have a vested interest in keeping public lands open to camping - is needed to fill the gap. I get the impression from this and other comments that you think I'm wasting my time.  You may be right, but I'll keep on.  In the end my only result might be to say, as Jack Nicholson said in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, "I tried, G#d%*m it.  At least I did that much."

bullfrog said:
^^^ We have close to 50 dumpsters and now 4 large trash compactors within a probably less than 3 square miles. Last community trash pick up day after hosting maybe 8,000 visitors earlier this year we picked up over 100 large garbage bags of litter. Having a place to put it is not the problem here, the problem is insuring people are aware it is their responsibility to control it till they put in into the dumpster.
I've seen how dumpsters help, but don't eliminate the problems.  Education and deterrents (signs and fines) may help there, but eliminating litter may never happen.  As far as the impact of education goes, I lived in Boulder, CO in the early 80s.  When I went to Boulder Falls, a few miles west of town, I picked up a bottle at the beginning of the short walk.  By the time I got back I had the bottle full of cigarette butts, plus a pocketful.  I went back last year, ready to do the same.  I picked up a total of 3 butts the whole way!  My son who lived on the front range said, "Oh yeah.  People are really aware of litter around here, and they take pride." 
50 dumpsters within a three mile area?  That's awesome!  Can I ask where?  

Well I don't think your wasting your time but, National Parks to BLM land? However, PM sent. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Well I don't think your wasting your time but,  National Parks to BLM land?  However,  PM sent.  Highdesertranger
Didn't see a PM and I need to head out to a place that might not have signal.  So if there's one on the way it might be a while before I see it.

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (run by NPS) but even with all the efforts more people results in more trash whether in a NPS park or on BLM which out here goes many miles to a land fill or many more miles to a recycle/landfill station which isn't helping the environment much. Your efforts might be much more effective if you concentrated on reducing packaging and recyclable container movements in my opinion but we thank you for your efforts. If you want to see Lake Powell first hand from the water by house boat and pickup trash research "The Lake Powell Trash Tracker Volunteer Program".

I have always been very litter conscious. There are several forest roads I unofficially adopted to keep clean. Not trying to pat myself on the back but I’d stop anywhere I saw trash and pick it up. Those days are gone I can’t lean over without falling over. My health probably indicates I shouldn’t be on the road at all. I think these postings about litter on the camp site recently had made me more think about it more. So it’s the Original posters fault That I looked back today to double check the campsite I was leaving and hit a large tree. Where do I send a bill?:)

Like BLM, I have very little money.  Sorry!  As a believer in karma I will say that your looking back will count for more in the long run - if that's any consolation. ;)

I love in N.H., 56 years old. Since I was a teenager riding my bike to go fishing I have been cleaning up the trash where I go, it's endless. I don't understand why people have to thash the beautiful places. Heck I was on the kangamagus highway ( scenic highway) at a rest stop, some butt hole driving right by a empty dumpster throws out a bag of fast food waste right in front of me.
His dad wasn't too happy when it landed back in his beemer.
It's not just the poor that are slobs

OK I want to make something perfectly clear. What the OP(StarkRavingNomad) is doing is commendable and should be supported in whatever way you feel comfortable with. Although it may seem like I am against what they are proposing let me make it perfectly clear I am for it.

I am just trying to get the wording straighten out on some of the OP's posts. So many newbies come here not knowing anything about public land and I feel it is one of the responsibilities of this forum to educate them.

Further more I think the discussion this has started is very important and I welcome it. People like bullfrog have first hand experience in this area and should be heard.

So there you are, carry on.

Highdesertranger

Latest posts