PAL - People Against Litter (New FB Group)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarkRavingNomad

Reaction score
You are invited to join, participate in and help spread the word about a new Facebook group! "PAL - People Against Litter"  is for anyone and everyone, but especially for nomads and others who spend a lot of time enjoying our public lands.  As full-timers we have a vested interest in keeping BLM campgrounds and other public use areas clean.  Too many beautiful places are being trashed to everyone's detriment.  In the worst cases it's sometimes decided to close the areas, or at least restrict them to day use only.    

Right now the group is about documenting our good deeds of trash collecting in hopes of educating and inspiring others.  Members are encouraged to take pictures of the litter that they pick up and post them with a brief explanation.  Every little bit helps, so no act of litter removal is too small to share! As the group grows it's hoped that we can band together to accomplish more and more.  Working to get dumpsters placed at campground entrances, along with donation boxes, is one possible future project.  Your ideas are welcome too, so please join in - success depends on YOUR support!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/3398017300297840

Love the idea.....but I do not / will not use or visit Facebook

Watching people casually drop garbage out of the car window annoys me measurably.

And often the ones who dropped it are societies trash.

Never facebook. I hope you didn't come here just to drive people to facebook. Highdesertranger

Think I’ve seen something like this before but the more the merrier. more people aware of and working against litter, no problem there. One of the other groups I heard about Took pictures of peoples messy camps and their license plates to make a list for everybody to see on the Internet and put some peer pressure on them. Not sure how it worked for them might be a good idea. But the first anti-something group I’m going to join is anti-Facebook. I used to stop and pick up litter all over the place but never took pictures of it or anything I called myself God’s janitor cleaning up His cathedral, the great outdoors. Now if I lean over I can’t get back up so I just complain about it. I hope your results are great.

There are a whole bunch of us who won't do Facebook.

There are also a whole bunch of us who endevor to leave our camps better than we found them. Unfortunately, the large stuff can't fit and if there is a lot of trash, it can't all leave with one camper. Organized groups are a good solution for the large messes. But still, no Facebook for me!

I had no idea the "F-word" meant Facebook!  Sorry!  I am sincere about this and care a lot more THAT the word gets spread than how.  If y'all won't do FB, I definitely want to respect that!  So please, what should I do?

How about a documentary? Put it on youtube. Use your proceeds to continue the fight.

StarkRavingNomad said:
I had no idea the "F-word" meant Facebook!  Sorry!  I am sincere about this and care a lot more THAT the word gets spread than how.  If y'all won't do FB, I definitely want to respect that!  So please, what should I do?

1) You can ignore us, and start a FB group. Plenty of people ARE active on FB (why, I don't know), it just won't include those of us who usually don't.

2) Before COVID, HOWA organized a couple of cleanups, and I imagine they will do it again once we all feel a bit safer. There's no reason why you can't help with that effort. Or you can start your own "caravan" right here.

My personal opinion? I don't need a FB group in order to pick up after myself, and pick up after other people as well.

I just went on your facebook page.  I love it.  The amt of trash you have handled is impressive.

I don't 'do facebook' but I am on it for a few very controlled sites I want to visit and those that fit into my life but I am never one 'flying around facebook' ever LOL  The few tight sites I visit are all full of great people and actions that suit me to include in my life.  Yea there aren't many sites I hit but your site is a nice one!

I think it is a great endeavor...more power to you!

thegoodtom1 said:
How about a documentary?  Put it on youtube.  Use your proceeds to continue the fight.

This is a great idea. A companion blog would be good, too -- that way you've covered the FB folks, the YouTube channel followers, and the readers.

Just so you know, responsible camping and traveling comes up here regularly and pack it out is a message anyone who reads the forum can't miss.

Best of luck with your group! Glad to have an enthusiastic group join the fight against trashy camps = )

thegoodtom1 said:
How about a documentary?  Put it on youtube.  Use your proceeds to continue the fight.
That is a great idea - Thanks!  I don't have the equipment for making any kind of quality video that would have a chance of making money on Youtube right now and am retired on a fixed income.  But somewhere hopefully not too far down the road...  I could see how bringing in different people and agencies, like BLM field offices, etc could really be effective.

RoamerRV428 said:
I just went on your facebook page.  I love it.  The amt of trash you have handled is impressive.

I don't 'do facebook' but I am on it for a few very controlled sites I want to visit and those that fit into my life but I am never one 'flying around facebook' ever LOL  The few tight sites I visit are all full of great people and actions that suit me to include in my life.  Yea there aren't many sites I hit but your site is a nice one!

I think it is a great endeavor...more power to you!
Thankyou for the kind, encouraging words! You say you use ot "for a few very controlled sites". The page is currently set up as an open group where anyone can view & post with or without joining. Do you think I'd be better off making it a closed group? I was planning on looking into that somewhere down the road if inappropriate/off-topic posts get out of hand.

jacqueg said:
1) You can ignore us, and start a FB group. Plenty of people ARE active on FB (why, I don't know), it just won't include those of us who usually don't.

2) Before COVID, HOWA organized a couple of cleanups, and I imagine they will do it again once we all feel a bit safer. There's no reason why you can't help with that effort. Or you can start your own "caravan" right here.

My personal opinion? I don't need a FB group in order to pick up after myself, and pick up after other people as well.
Thanks for your thoughts.  I've already started the FB group, so I won't abandon it.  I hope to both coordinate clean-ups and participate in HOWA's.  I agree that we don't need a group to pick up trash.  There are projects that I'm hoping to tackle, with help, in the future.  Clean up parties, yes, but also getting dumpsters with donation boxes placed at BLM campgrounds.  These things are done better by a group.

Not being tech-savvy, and new to this forum, I'm not sure why my individual replies are not showing up.  I'm using a Chromebook and have seen similar issues with it before. So let me respond with one post:

A huge thank you to those who have offered support and advice!  Adding a blog and Youtube video are great ideas! 

Short of a real website which costs, is there any other way to create a central location for the group?  It seems to me that it would be needed both to increase the numbers (which can increase the group's visibility as well as credibility when dealing with government and private agencies) and to coordinate group projects. 

I see participation on two levels.  First are the supporters who might pick up some litter and post about it.  A large group of supporters could also serve as a base for fund-raisers.  And from that larger group, I'm hoping that a few people who want to do more will emerge.  I've got a number of ideas that would require a team, and I'm sure that other folks would have great ways to maximize our impact as well.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."  ~Eleanor Roosevelt

There is a Lady with a you tube channel that does this. Let me see if I can find the link. Highdesertranger

Your quote, which is right on, is actually from anthropologist Margaret Mead.

You are right - Thanks!  I think at some point I even knew that.  It just sounds so much like Eleanor.  Anyway, I don't know who said it first, but "It's the thought that counts." ;)

StarkRavingNomad said:
Thankyou for the kind, encouraging words! You say you use ot "for a few very controlled sites".  The page is currently set up as an open group where anyone can view & post with or without joining.  Do you think I'd be better off making it a closed group?  I was planning on looking into that somewhere down the road if inappropriate/off-topic posts get out of hand.
oh I meant I control the few sites I visit very tightly....in other words not much interests me on FB and what sites I check into are very limited and controlled by me for the few topics I like.   

I think it is fine to keep it open.   Of course like you said if off topic etc. and stuff goes south for any reason you can close the group and put your own controls on there later like you said.

RoamerRV428 said:
oh I meant I control the few sites I visit very tightly . . . controlled by me for the few topics I like . . .

Rule of thumb:
If you are not paying for the app - you're not the customer, you are the product.

Just by being on Facebook and other free services you are opening yourself to very sophisticated data mining.
Read and understand the application's terms of service.